WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Morning, all... Fitbit says I slept a bit over 7 hours last night, woot! Very unusual for the first night in a hotel room, but I was exhausted. Middle seat on the nearly 4-hour flight from Atlanta to El Paso, which I just absolutely hate... but they switched my seat willy-nilly last minute. I only like middle seats when I'm traveling with the hubby, and can lean on him. :) Up early Mountain Time, which I'll regret this afternoon, but I'll survive. I'll have a roomie tonight and possibly tomorrow night, hope they like sleeping in a chilly room.

Looking forward to the week now that I'm here. It's staff retreat, my first one, mainly team-building stuff, not terribly serious. Got some writing to do...

Love y'all!
    Lisa, back in West Texas for the week...
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Lisa enjoy your retreat, treat yourself well and get in that writing.

Joyce that pic with your ornament is precious.

BOy all you crafters are inspiring, have a great day everyone. Walk away from the cookies.....

NYKAREN
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,297 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Michelle - they gave us a pass on the sweater part since hubs coat was sooo tacky.

Janet - Love the ornament pic! Beautiful!!

Okie
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,178 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    klanders30 wrote: »
    Walk away from the cookies.....

No cookies here ... they don't seem to be a Christmas thing.

But speaking of Christmas things, in Canada mandarin oranges were a big Christmas thing. Grocery stores sell reasonably large boxes of them containing 25 or 30, each wrapped in green paper.

Even when I lived by myself, I'd go through a box or two leading up to Christmas ... love mandarins! :)

boxes.jpg?w=416&h=311

In Australia, mandarins come ripe at a different time of year so we don't usually have them for Christmas. As I've mentioned before cherries are the fruit here.

But yesterday, after the century, my husband and I stopped in at the grocery store ... and they had mandarins on sale!! How exciting! I bought two!

What's the Christmas fruit in your area?

M in Oz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,804 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies~
    slept pretty well except for tossing and turning a bit... Tom tried calling me while I was down at the Winchester, and I texted him back, he just wanted to tell me thanks so much for taking such great care of his dad.... I love Buddy dearly and the way he was treated all his life,I want to make the end of his life the best it can be.
    I didnt get alot done here at the condo I wanted to this weekend, but will do it during the week... will see if Tom has any zip ties ,and will get one more extention cord .. working 9-5 today...
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Wow Janetr - What a fabulous photo! You could use that for your Christmas cards next year!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

That's a terrific idea.

Janetr OKC
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Lanette - I managed to print out my free voucher today! :D They make it as difficult as possible, but I navigated my way right through. Now I will have to see if it works in the shop! I plan to put it towards a sweater. :D

Finished my workout this morning with a quick kettlebell routine 5x10x17lbs. I haven't done any for ages as it seemed to aggravate my knee, but so far so good. I love the way it bumps up your heart rate so quickly. Elevating your heart rate is one of the best things you can do for your body. :D (YOUNGER NEXT YEAR )

I spent a lot of the morning saving photos on my laptop and memory stick. My laptop drives me insane, it is so old and jumpy, but I'm pleased I've done it. I'm going to type out a bit of my memoir this afternoon so I've left it on Zzzzz, so I don't have to boot the #÷××+÷ up again.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,178 Member
    Options

M in OZ
    the friends we went to the concert with just came back from Australia and New Zealand. It was fun to tell them about you and pictures you have shared with us too. They went on a cruise and saw a city a day. Not the way I like to travel, but they sure got a great overview.

Fruit here pomegranates and citrus. We import many things so you can still get blueberries, strawberries.
    Apple too but they are not as good as fall one.

I'm glad they had a good time. Did they happen to say if they'd been to Hobart on their cruise? And which ship? I ask because we get cruise ships in here every few days, and I usually go down to the dock to have a look. :)

Raspberries are coming ripe about this time too. Unfortunately they seem terribly expensive to me. I spent many summers picking raspberries, as summer work, in the lower mainland BC area and it seems we could get raspberries for quite reasonable rates ... but of course, that was a long time ago.

M in Oz
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,423 Member
    Options
    Barbie - those Christmas stockings are gorgeous! Have you ever seen the knitting book "Foxes, Geese and Fences" - that intricate 2 color reminds me of their patterns. I've attempted them a couple times.

Regarding sleep problems.... my challenge is the sinus headaches & neck aches that hit me anywhere from midnight to 2 am several times a week. Looking forward to seeing the ENT doc tomorrow and seeing if he has any new ideas. Still searching for the perfect pillow, lol.

Getting to sleep is fairly easy for me, thank goodness.

Heading out shortly for my yearly eye exam. Have a great week!

Lanette

Chilly and starry SW WA State
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Well hello and happy Monday. There were way too many posts to read them all, but I did read some regarding the instapot. My good friend has one and I have loved everything that comes out of it. Much better than the crock pot. But I'm not up to another kitchen appliance either.

I did manage to lose a little weight this week, so I guess I'm starting to get back on track. Despite all the crappy eating I have been doing, my A1C was 6.3 which astonished me.

I had a nice, quiet weekend at home and felt peace. What a nice change. It was gorgeous here so I did some work outside.

DH is doing well, I talked to him 3 times over the weekend. It's nice to hear his voice...it's soothing.

Well, I know this is short, but I must run. Take care all, Meg from sunny but windy Omaha
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    Did some typing .... and saving it...on stick. ...on email .....and on Dropbox. And I always print it out. Phew! Slowly, slowly it's coming together.
    Prepped dinner and danced around the kitchen to my new Bluetooth tiny speaker. Sometimes technology is just wonderful! DH was out for a walk, but it's too cold and wet for me out there. :grumble: Tonight is going to be v cold. Brrrrr! I'm charging up my phone, radio etc in case of a power cut.

Lots of love, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,710 Member
    Options
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    DJ ~ Glad your Moose Club brunch went well. I am sure the ladies loved the scented candles.

Marcelyn and Son ~ Congrats on your run. Truly outstanding.

Joyce ~ Glad you were able to join the choir. Know how much it means to you.

Alison ~ I hope you and Tom can continue to communicate well.

A thought for those wanting to make inexpensive gifts. One year I bought very long men’s socks, filled them with rice, and tied a pretty bow to close up. My DH loves putting these in the microwave for serveral minutes to use as flexible heating pads.

Love all the ornaments that everyone has been showing. Barbie, your stockings are so cute.!

Meg ~ Glad you are feeling peace.

During the snow storm a limb hit an AT&T phone line connected to our house and it is drooping over the garage door. I cannot get my car out until it is moved. AT&T said they could do nothing since we do not currently use their service. Hopefully, DH can figure out how to move it.

Carol in GA
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Christmas fruit? I’ve never associated any fruit with Christmas. Wasn’t a thing in Chicago where I grew up. hey Texans, is there a Christmas fruit here?

I never cared much for fruit until I turned about age 40. Now I eat lots and lots of fruit- so it there isn’t a specific fruit anyone knows of here, I might just pick one and try to start a tradition in my family!

Rye
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    christmas fruit???? ummmm, I know that citrus is always in my DD stockings. I also know families that send beautiful pears around this time of year. But holiday cookies are all the rage in US imho.

NYKAREN
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I know of no Christmas fruit either. I grew up in Oklahoma and have lived in TX for 30 years. This part of the country is cookies not fruit also.

Okie