WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,124 Member
    Options
    Marcelynh wrote: »

Quick question ... is your son wearing compression stockings? Probably a good idea if he's doing 100 miles!

Oh yes. He actually changes socks and shoes and compression sleeves every 25 miles. And he has a change of clothing for one stop. He is prepared. This isn’t his first ultra long distance. He did a 100k in February.

I wear compression socks for long distance and I have compression tights. Definitely helps me.

I wear them when I fly, and also if I've done a long bicycle ride, and then go to a function where I'm going to be just sitting for a couple hours, I'll wear them then too.

M in Oz
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,084 Member
    Options
    Michele thanks for the correction. I have a card I am sending today.

I am making sleep a top priority because I am finding I am making mistakes I would normally not make. I am also tending to forget things I would normally remember too. I know this is a result of my sleep habits and not age.

First day went well. I slept without waking to need the bathroom or leg cramps. A good six hours of solid sleep. As my habits change I hope to increase it to 7 to 8. I have made a chart of the routine I hope to follow and am writing time I fall asleep until I wake up. Then I rate my sleep. I also found some old CD's and tapes to listen to before lights out to help ease me into sleep.

Allie prayers. Getting that certification might help in the job search. In an interview you could bring it out as you are keeping yourself current and want opportunities to learn. Turn this to benefit you. You can do it! Go for it!

:heart: Margaret
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Machka, one would think spreadsheets would be my thing, too, but they are not. I love them for other things, though. My husband is big on tracking the miles he walks. He keeps up with his and mine on our big family calendar. He keeps three totals, since he started tracking, this year, and this month. He loves it. It stresses me. Different strokes for different folks......

Glad to hear an update on Lenora.
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Sunday! Well, I got out yesterday and shoveled. Between midnight Friday and noon Saturday our area got about 10 inches of snow. DH got out at 4 am and shoveled the first six inches; then I went out at noon and got another four. DYS shoveled another two this morning. So...12 inches in a little over 24 hours! I didn't do any further injury to my knee; but I am definitely feeling the shoveling in my back and ankles. Nothing horrible. Just that "first time shoveling for the year" feeling. I do think I better wear my YakTraxx next time I do it. Even with really good boots on, my feet were still slipping quite a bit. (Hence the ankle pain).
    I got the lights on my tree yesterday after shoveling. I have decided to go with white lights this year. I actually had a plan for stringing them, before I began. I strung them, lit. I put the bigger bulbs on the inside of the tree in a spiraling pattern (horizonally), then I put the mini lights on in a vertical pattern on the outside of the branches. It actually looks a lot more evenly distributed. For the first year EVER, DH didn't complain about the lights. In case you didn't know, I am married to Ebenezer Scrooge. lol Ever since our kids have grown, he is not that into Christmas. His words: "I just don't see the point." And he married a Christmas Fairy! o:)>:) I will finish the tree this morning. I realized last night, as I cleaned up needles after getting the lights on, that I threw out my old tree skirt last year! It was white and something (I don't know what) got spilled on it and stained it. So...I will just put a small white blanket under there and put some tissue paper in gift bags and set them under there. Then I will finish decorating my bathrooms, make the cookie dough and hot cocoa packages for my daycare families and I think that is it. Then I will sit and enjoy the rest of the day/evening.
    I made Orange Chicken and rice last night for dinner. It was DYS's only dinner at home until Thursday, due to the later hours he is scheduled this week. So...DH and I will have soup and sandwiches tonight! Suits me! AND...he is having dental work done on Monday, so he will be eating soft foods for the next few days; which means...I won't have to cook a legit dinner until Thursday! Whoot! B)
    Marcelyn- Wow! Awesome job! Just curious; did your run speed get faster at the sight of the alligators?! Yikes! Kudos to your son, too! That is some major mileage from the both of you!
    Pip- Love your pictures! Is that Seattle? Are those pig prints on the sidewalk? Why? Why is Kirby kissing the pig? Does he love bacon, that much?
    Wendy- Your pet pictures are a hoot! That little boxer/pit shelter dog...his face is adorable! About the unicorn horn. You said you have a cardboard tube? Many of those tubes curl in a spiral when they are cut or torn. I wonder, if yours does this, you could form the spiral twist of a horn and just cover it with a thin layer of papier-mache; let it dry and then paint it. It'd be completely done in 4-7 days. You could put it on a nice felt base so that it doesn't rub your horse's head. Add ribbons and maybe some "magic" sparkle...
    Michele- Add my thanks to the others for getting a hold of Lenora/Louis. I messaged you for her address.
    Machka- I remember the days when I could get by on less sleep. I would love to get back to that (even though health advice says 7-9 hours/night is best). But, as I have gotten older, I have found 8 hours is optimal if I want to be nice to children! I have WAY less patience with them on those days when I haven't slept my 8 hours. Miss Hannigan or Miss Trunchbull come to mind. Not pretty.

Well, I have finished my second cup of coffee and better get busy. ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    :)Marcelyn, wow, finishing the marathon is a fabulous accomplishment. You look great in your picture.

:)Machka, Your century bike ride is equally fabulous.

:) I write in a gratitude journal every morning. It helps me stay focused on all the things that are right with my life and sets me off on a good path for the day.

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif Barbie
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    ;)
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    o:)
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,513 Member
    Options
    HahahahahaHAH. The wii says I'm 4.9 lbs lighter than the day before yesterday. Guess the secret is to test before breakfast but after bathroom. Have NOT updated ticker and won't for at least a week ;}

Wing fragments and other bee parts, yuck! Have you seen the price of honey lately? What I got for $12 at the Boise Co-op costs $30 at the local farmer's market... So I joined the Medford Coop for their bulk raw honey. It sure didn't "flow" like the Boise Co-op's did, probably because in Boise they had a warmed metal tank that drew from the bottom while In Medford, it's in a plastic tank at room temperature (read semi-solid). It glopped out so slowly the staff actually handed me a spatula and held the tank down to my level where we scraped it into my jars. Cost around $20 a big savings... BUT Really REALLY raw. When I put it in my tea I see little bits of stuff floating. Wax fragments melting I can take but obvious wing fragments and bee parts not so much. Filtered my honeyed tea through a cotton cloth, much better but too cool. Trying to strain warmed honey through a metal strainer but not sure the mesh will be aesthetically fine enough. Could the universe be telling me to lighten up on the honey consumption? Naaaaaah!

Kelly, love Joaquin's "boo boo" face. So with you galfriend about putting on the lights. Least fun of all.
    Allie, Alfie has my vote too: "The name Alfie is an English baby name. In English the meaning of the name Alfie is: Sage, wise. From the Old English Aelfraed, meaning elf counsel. Also from Ealdfrith or Alfrid, meaning old peace. Handsome" Love the "elf counsel".
    Rye Sweetheart is one lucky feral and you are v. lucky in your DH. Your story made me tear up in memory of the feral kitten I took in who miraculously survived feline distemper. Converting her to wholly inside was a month long ordeal of nightly howling. She lived 17 years as Empress of the Universe and took the "cat" place away from my heart when she died. Now I'm strictly for the dogs... ;}
    Lanette Barbie and others, great advice for Betty, also good reminder to me to up my fiber intake before my labs, are they really next week? Oops!
    Okie Can't even compress bubble wrap? Not fat anymore indeed!
    Carol watch out for that black ice, one of the main reasons we left Idaho.
    Marcelyn, if pressed, would chose snow over gators, but it would be close...
    Karen in VA the sonogram made me snort my tea!
    Terry Fascinating bookmarks.

Still have 4 pages to go through but must stop now and prep for church. Later.

Hugs to all,
    desismileys_4280.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    JanetR: I love the ornaments. We have a hobby store in Beaverton, which is about 40 miles from here. There is a gift store in town that has great ornaments for anyone into the quirky. They have loads of Dr. Who ornaments along with other things. We did stop in there to buy ornaments for our grandchildren, and found a penguin for the little one who is on the way. DDIL is into penguins this year. I eventually found one that is glass & sent it along. :star:

Pip: I love the photos of you and Kirby and also the Pike Place Public Market in Seattle. We haven't been there in a couple of years. :heart:

Rori: I have never heard of Fairlife Whole Milk before, but I'd be interested in trying some if it is available here. Do you find it in health stores or regular grocery stores? :huh:

Michele: Thank you for keeping us in the loop for Lenora. :heart:

Kellie: Welcome! When I go to our fitness center I ride an electronic "bike". I sit on a seat with a backrest and pedal. It keeps track of calories very well and there is little or no stress on my back. I also take yoga classes. There is a friendly community of people there and in the mornings the majority of us are 50+. There is also a physical therapy place in our town where DH went after his stroke. They had a supportive staff and machines that made exercise safe and well supported. I hope you can find a good place to help you to get yourself in better shape. If you look around in your area you may be able to find just the right situation for your needs. :flowerforyou:

DH baked a custard pie yesterday that tastes great and looks awful. Half of the crust fell into the pie. This happens regularly. I put a level in the oven & know it is not quite level, but I'm not quite sure how to fix it. I've thought about prebaking the crust using glass weights or dried beans to hold it in place. Advice wanted!!!

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

Heather posted a quote similar to this that I wanted to use, but I couldn't recall it quite right. I went online and found this one.

"So many of us believe in perfection, which ruins everything else, because the perfect is not only the enemy of the good; it's also the enemy of the realistic, the possible and the fun."
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,786 Member
    Options
    good mid morning,, I really need a nap but dont want to miss out.. went to see my DBIL they had him sitting in a chair. but he was awake and coherent , sorta hard to talk with a trach but told me the stuff almost killed him, said yes I know, told him alot of prayers have been said on his behalf.. they are moving him tomorrow to one of the best Rehab places in the state.. so that is progress. and will probably go down Christmas morning... to visit him..
    ohhh and there has been this nasty smell in the car like something died? I looked all over and finally found 2 week old shrimp :s Oh MY not good, now if I can rest for 45 min, will go down to my DFIL christmas party and then to a place where my good friend will be playing his last gig for awhile.. he is my age and his FIL is not well he is retired from P.O. and takes care of his adult son who had an anyurism at 15 yrs old.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    Options
    Marcelyn - Congratulations to your son. Fantastic. I can't even imagine staying awake that long, let alone running!

Wendy - Good idea to do some testing and finding out the best combination. Strange that they are doing it at the height of summer! ;) I don't function very well in the heat at all.

My leftover lamb curry was fabulous. I did it in the IP with spinach, peas and sprouted beans. I had it with green beans. And yogurt.

Much love, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    ⚓⚓
  • wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Marcelyn, an all day and all night challenge for your son. I hope he didn't have to run through alligator area in the dark. Make me shivver...
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,675 Member
    Options
    d5rbllsfy2ox.jpeg
    xe72kjajyoqq.jpeg
    3d02nbdtyu5x.jpeg
    8e7pvcv19bba.jpeg