• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :star:
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Happy Gingerbread House Day!

Uh-oh, I got ahead of myself. TODAY is Poinsettia Day. Yesterday was Have a Bagel Day.

Karen - So sorry to hear about your aunt. That is a grand old age indeed, but I imagine it must be kind of lonely too.

Pip - Sounds like a really frustrating stay at the Sheraton. They should have been falling all over themselves to make you happy!

Thank you for all the kind thoughts about my dad. It's good to know I've got "pocket friends." Right now we're just waiting for all of the test results so we can talk about options. Planning to head down there Thursday for a visit. On the day I got the news I was making him a rice-filled warming bag for Christmas, and I think I'll give it to him early so he can use it right away. I know he's ready to be done and I'm at peace with that, but I'm not sure there's anything that could prepare me for losing my Daddy.

I've had an itchy, runny nose for days now. At first I thought it was a cold, but now I'm wondering if it's allergies. Before we moved to New Mexico I had year-round allergy problems, and they all went away with the new climate. Now we may have been back in Texas long enough for my body to remember how to be allergic. I don't want to share with Dad if it's a cold, so I guess we'll have to see. I've been taking zinc and antihistamines. If I'm still sniffling by Thursday I'm going to call it allergies.

Being good with the diet lately, but not so much with the exercise. I just can't seem to find the time!

-Yvonne in TX
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,894 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies: Leaving soon to take DH to hospital for his knee surgery. I am not looking forward to 5-6 hours of sitting around the hospital but they frown on you leaving the waiting room even for a short time. He was supposed to have surgery this morning but they rescheduled to 3:30 this afternoon. I am not happy as this means I will probably not get home before about 9:00 this evening. Have arranged things for all the animals as they will miss their usual afternoon feedings.

Heather - Love your outfits.

Pip - Sorry about your hotel experience. Is the Jingle Bell run for the Arthritis Foundation? I love your rubber chicken ornament, looks like it might have come from Archie McFee.

Michele - Thanks for checking on Lenora.

Marcelyn - Congrats on your marathon.

Yvonne - Sorry to hear about your dad.

Katiebug - I am guilty of overestimating when I don't weigh or measure. I need to get a new scale as we lost the old one when we moved.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    4 days until we pick up youngest son!!!! I'm so excited I can't even think straight! Going to wait until Thursday to sanitize bathrooms, and vacuum. It will give me something to do!

I am regretting paying off my debt to relative...money seems to be flowing through our fingers like sand! We have forewarned our sons that grocery shopping, restaurant visits, and gas, will be on their dime. Its a sad thing to do, and I have to just put it in the back of my mind.

I'm sleeping better, so those overactive bladder meds are working! I tell people, leave it to me to have a bladder that gets more exercise than I do!!!

Sorry to hear that some of you have lost friends and relatives during the holidays.

I am trying to NOT get a cold, and I think I'm kicking it. Going to be buying my 3rd box of meds! Ridiculous!

Becca
    Oregon
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    My Mom used to insist on putting fruit in all our stockings. Her favorite was bananas or apples. Well by the time the stockings got put form this place to another place the bananas were bruised and the kids didn't want to eat them. Apples always ended up on the bottoms of the stocking and got bruised. At first she put grapefruit in the stockings but very few people liked them. Now I could eat 10 grapefruit a day but I take to many medicine for that and I am to stingy to buy it. We have never had cookies in our stockings. Just candy, several gifts and peanuts. Oh, and a candy cane.

Heather thank you for our tutorial for drinking coffee or tea across the pond. I would be frowned on. I have to hav sugar or substitute. And I can not imagine milk in tea. I guess I will have to bring my own tea bags and sweetener with me.

Going to be going to doctor in about an hour to get my foot xrayed. I made the mistake of trying to pick up my lap top with m left hand last night. That will be a no no for awhile. So I'm not sure if I will be able to do without the sling. I would love to just have an ace wrap.

Yvonne, sos sorry about your Dad. When my Dad died, my Mom was immediately ready to join him. So when we knew she was dying in 2011, we knew there was no stopping her.monce she was on her way to her beloved husband, there was no stopping her. Although it was sad saying goodby to her, we knew they belonged together again. They had been married for 56 years and completed each other.

I asked Michelle last night if she wants her usual money that her Dad loves to give her or I buy presents. So she sent me her AmaOn wish list this morning. Her shopping is now finished. Her sister wants money. Their Dad thinks it is a wonderful way to take care of his girls. They can pay bills with it!

Joyce, Indiana
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,729 Member
    Options
    skuehn48 wrote: »
    Hello ladies: Leaving soon to take DH to hospital for his knee surgery. I am not looking forward to 5-6 hours of sitting around the hospital but they frown on you leaving the waiting room even for a short time. He was supposed to have surgery this morning but they rescheduled to 3:30 this afternoon. I am not happy as this means I will probably not get home before about 9:00 this evening. Have arranged things for all the animals as they will miss their usual afternoon feedings.

Heather - Love your outfits.

Pip - Sorry about your hotel experience. Is the Jingle Bell run for the Arthritis Foundation? I love your rubber chicken ornament, looks like it might have come from Archie McFee.

Michele - Thanks for checking on Lenora.

Marcelyn - Congrats on your marathon.

Yvonne - Sorry to hear about your dad.

Katiebug - I am guilty of overestimating when I don't weigh or measure. I need to get a new scale as we lost the old one when we moved.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA

yup it is for the arthritis foundation. could have gotten it at archie mcfee's, that place is still there.
  • Katla49
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Sue: Sending good thoughts for your DH and your family. :heart:

(((Becca)))

Joyce: Good luck with Amazon. We've recently been having trouble with their deliveries. Today's complaint is that they delivered a package to an unoccupied house on the opposite side of the development from the person who ordered. The idea of them handling their own deliveries sounds good on paper, but it is a disaster on the ground where we live. :grumble:

I'm a member of a city committee, and the Mayor is coming to our session tonight. I wonder what is on his mind. As far as I know, we don't have any other business to take care of this month.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another." - William James
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,820 Member
    Options
    evening ladies~
    left an hour early from work and came home, had my work done and was not in the mood to stick around... well I am going to try and make it to bingo tonight... have not gone in awhile and working 12-6 tomorrow.. and getting Tal on the bus..
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • Katla49
    Options
    :star:
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,203 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Machka and others living in OZ or New Zealand: Christmas in summer is an odd thing to think about but what about winter? Do you have some sort of holiday set up in July or August to cheer up the winter months? :huh:

No ... no holidays in winter. In fact, winter is very long here. Our last holiday, in early winter, is the Queen's Birthday long weekend in early June ... and the next holiday is the Royal Hobart Show Day long weekend in late October.

They do try to have some festivals and things, and some people get into them, but they don't really appeal to us.

Instead, we usually book holidays and go somewhere warmer at some point during the winter. Last winter, for example, we spent a month in Canada (June-July). :):) This coming winter ... Winter 2018 ... we're considering Queensland. We went there at Easter in 2016 and enjoyed it, so now we're thinking of pushing the trip back a couple months and making it a real winter break.

ryenday wrote: »
    Heather I had almost forgotten about Christmas crackers! I found them here in the US one year (called poppers over here) but never again. They were such fun at Xmas dinner.

M Christmas cookies are serious business. Mom filled 10 to 20 tins with homemade cookies each December. (We only had occasional home baked oatmeal cookies the rest of the year). People have Christmas Cookie Exchange Parties. Fresh baked cookies are brought into work places. The thing about Christmas cookies is that these are home baked cookies from scratch usually. A real treat that people generally don’t take the time to make the rest of the year. Store cookies and bakery cookies don’t count as Christmas cookies, imo.

We do Christmas Crackers here in Australia too! :)

The bakery cookies, and other things (tarts, squares, etc. etc.) are fresh baked too. Depending on the bakery, the mood of the people who own it, how busy they are, etc., they may be baked that day ... or maybe sometime that week. The quality of the bakeries is quite variable because, for the most part, they aren't chains. But if you find a good one, you can tell. :) And many of the bakeries take pride in what they make ... there are often signs up indicating that they won awards for best French vanilla slice, and things like that.

This is one of the few bakery chains here: Banjo's Bakery: http://banjos.com.au/ ... their baked goods will be about the same at each place. But other bakeries will each have their own personality and specialties.

Here's one of our favourites when we go up north: http://www.jjsbakery.com.au/ or https://www.facebook.com/jjslaunceston/

And another in a small town not far from here: http://www.rossbakery.com.au/ourbakery.html

Of course, all of this is now making me hungry! :)

Grocery store bakeries are different ... their food is usually much more mass produced. Although a few grocery stores will use a catering company to supply their fresh baked goods. There's one right close to where we live that does that, and has some of the most beautiful baked good. Melt in your mouth cookies and slices and all sorts. Any time we go in there, it takes a lot of willpower to walk past all that and just get the fresh produce we came in for!!

But I am finding this Christmas Cookie tradition interesting ... all these years and I didn't know it was a thing. It is fascinating what different cultures do. :)

Machka in Oz
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    ❄❄❄
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,203 Member
    Options
    Today at lunch will be another long Christmas shopping hike. I'm still looking for one more thing.

One interesting thing about all this Christmas shopping is that I end up in a whole variety of shops I don't normally frequent ... there are a lot of intriguing places within walking distance of where I work! At Christmas, I only shop in department stores for decorations, like if I need to get more tinsel or something. Gifts come from all the little gift shops and touristy shops and art-y shops etc. etc. because my hope is that what I get will, for the most part, be something my family can't get in North America. But of course, this means that I end up picking up things for me now and then. :)

I got a train Christmas ornament in one place, and a carved deer and pine tree ornament that reminded me of Canada in another place.

I'm looking forward to going to today's shop because I've never been in there, but looking online, it seems to be a lot bigger than I thought it was, and has a whole lot more stuff than I thought it did. :) And for tomorrow, some coworkers suggested a couple places in the other direction that I had forgotten about.

At least I'm getting some good walks in while I shop!!

M in Oz
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    Did a step by step DVD today. I had no idea what to expect. That portion is basically step, which is OK since I haven't done step in quite a while. The plan for tomorrow is to do the Hi-Lo portion of that DVD.

Heather - thanks for teaching about how to order tea. Now the next thing is for me to get to the UK...lol

pip - sorry about your vacation

Weighed myself this morning just for jollies. You know, with this holiday season, I really haven't gained. OK, I didn't lose. But I remember one year I gained and it was SOOO hard to lose it. I eventually did, but I'm glad that I didn't gain.

Exercised then met a woman to give her things for the school, made my last donation for the year to the soup kitchen, went to WalMart to get a prescription for Vince and found that they carried Halibut. Didn't know that. Stopped at a dollar store to get a bag for my gift for the ceramic christmas party and found a gift certificate to Texas Roadhouse. Only got one, but Vince says I should get two. So I'll go back when we get back. Then came home and helped Vince put out more decorations. Was it ever cold (at least for down here). Guess the only thing left to do is to put up the inflatables when we get back.

Made 2 of the spinach/feta for Xmas Eve and then one for when Denise comes down here. Tried to make an apple pie. I have officially given up trying to make a decent apple pie. I've made it numerous times, and numerous times it's turned out a disaster. This time I just threw it in the trash.

Now here, need to take a shower and want to get packed.

KJ - I like my tea plain, too. I'm not a coffee drinker at all

Got a BAAADDDD cramp in my leg. Even Vince got concerned, but it passed. I knew it would

Heather - loved the pics

Sue in WA - good luck to your dh

Yesterday was the last day for us of ceramics for a few weeks (they're closed for the holidays). The wings of my dragonfly are darker green on the inside and a lighter green on the outside. One set of wings I realized that I'd used the darker green on both the inside and the outside. So I had to wash off the paint on the outside. I think I got most of it.

Off to shower and packing. Thinking of you all.

Michele in NC
  • pipcd34
    Options
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym- 7.40min, 143mhr, 11.6amph. 1.4mi= 83c
    apple watch- 66c
    LATERAL MACHINE- 47min, 10lat, 3-8lvl, 138mhr, 5.31mi = 358c
    apple watch- 336c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 6.24min, 13.4amph, 123mhr, 1.4mi= 68c
    apple watch- 49c
    walk sta 2 wk- 9.21min, 116mhr, 3.4ap., .5mi= 61c
    apple watch- 59c
    walk/ljog wk 2 stat- 7.10min, 13.55min mi, 126mhr, .5i = 54c
    apple. watch- 53c
    bike ride dome 2 hm- 19min, 8.2amph, 151mhr, 2.5mi = 187c
    Apple Watch- 147c

total cal 811
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,097 Member
    Options
    Happy Hanukkah! The first night for those who celebrate.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,992 Member
    Options
    :)Sue, best wishes to your DH on his surgery. When Jake had his surgery I walked up and down the hall adjacent to the waiting room and up and down some nearby stairs. What a long day that will be for you. Will your DH be easy to care for after the surgery?