WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Chris, many hugs, I know it's not what you needed right now.

Best to all of you... last night in a hotel for me, should be home in NC this time tomorrow. Can't wait to see my husband and family.

Wonderful retreat, terrifically inspirational for the year to come.

Many peaceful thoughts to those who grieve, and a peaceful Chanukah to those who celebrate.

Lisa, in West Texas for one more night...
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,037 Member
    Options
    My condolences and well wishes for all who have lost loved ones recently ... and who have incurred injuries recently. :heart:
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,644 Member
    Options
    Chris (((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))) sorry to hear about your friend and your fall!!!
    Terry - I'll post pictures, I bought the socks at our dollar store to do 12, and got them all for $12.02 - will have to get rice, hair ties, and the cones... And of course find the time!!!

Kim in N. California
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

I'm many, many pages behind and won't pretend that I will catch up. It's been extremely rough in my neck of the woods.

Last Monday I found out that man that I had a 15 years relationship with died suddenly of a heart attack. Although we split over three years ago, I have fond memories of our time together. He was a big influence on my life. I'm still trying to process all of this, he had just turned 49, much too young.

On Sunday evening I missed the last stair in my house and fell, hard. I tore ligaments in my left ankle and am now sporting a very stylish boot and crutches.

So here I sit, and sit, and sit. My wonderful friends have dropped off dinners, cooking is so difficult on crutches. Unfortunately I can feel the weight creeping up. Lack of exercise has also made me stiff and sore. I hope to be on both my feet in a few weeks.

Love and hugs to all.

Chris in MA

Oh dear, Chris, so sorry to hear the sad news of your friend. It is so unexpected when they are so young. Take care of yourself and let yourself heal. You know you can take the weight off when you are back to 100%.

Biggest, big (((HUGS))) <3

Janetr OKC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,756 Member
    Options
    Yup almost 2 am here in. Connecticut and guess who is still awake ....oh boy...
  • Machka9
    Options
    Hi Sisters, I had a Girl's Day Out Christmas shopping with my middle daughter. We went to Palmerston North, about an hour away. I hit Spotlight and found some styrofoam cones for my unicorn costume shoot and bought a first bicycle for my 3 year old grandson. (He keeps asking for one for Christmas and his mom told him no they couldn't afford it-I can't bear to see him disappointed!) It was LUCKILY assembled and has training wheels on it. I found a cute elf hat costume for my dachshund Honey but it kind of freaked her out when I put it on her. (Photo to follow). I also did my first "Home Cruise" five K run through the park and along the river. (Photos to follow) Shared a salad and a smoothie with my daughter for lunch and got an acupressure head massage at a little Asian place that I like to go to. Am hoping it will help clear my ears which are still not right after that last plane trip. Wonderful day, <3 Wendym3qd0kvdvnio.jpg
    o4ijb64ma2oe.jpg
    frbxp3mwujbe.jpg

PS, in the last photo you can see Daisy Duke, my beloved baby blue van parked under the palm trees at the beautiful park by the river where I ran today.

Sounds like a great day! :)

I was in our local Spotlight today too, having a look at their Christmas decorations. But I've already picked up some from there, and they didn't have any more that I liked.
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK <3
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Chris :'( about the torn ligaments, you've got to heal up quick, in the mean time, can you get caught up with your reading/sewing etc? Also, make sure to keep your portions on track, so nice to have folks cooking for you.

Barbie you are so good at handling food pushers! This time of year they are hiding everywhere and out in full force. Good for you. I need to remember the habits that help me feel best at this time of year, I've cut back on the restaurant trips related to concerts, I just say no thanks or I've got an appointment and instead of eating at a restaurant I go exercise or go home to eat, much more economical and healthy!

We have a light dusting of snow outside, nothing difficult to drive in, just pretty!

NYKAREN
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Chris (((Hugs)))

Katla I had to laugh when I read about the unwrapped and bizarre gifts from Grandma E. My Aunt Beverly was a kindred spirit to Grandma E. She went to yard sales and loved a bargain. Her basement had shelves full of her "treasures", and she would go shopping in her basement for Christmas presents for her grandchildren. One year she gave one of the boys a copper windmill decoration which was meant to go on the outside of your house. She gave an old crockpot to one of the girls. Sometimes she would wrap the gifts, but not usually. The kids were so polite and always said, "Thank you, Grandma!" LOL!!!

Thank you for the condolences about cousin Dick, one of my favorite human beings. They have suggested donations to Dance for Parkinson's and I am delighted to be able to send a contribution to such a worthy charity in his memory. I do wish I could join the family for the memorial service Saturday in Indiana, but am working all weekend. They will laugh and laugh and cry a little, and generally have a wonderful time, and I wish I could be there.

Karen in Virginia
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,297 Member
    Options
    Chris - Sending big (((HUGS))) It's a long time to live with someone - of course it affects you deeply. <3 Sorry about your leg, OUCH! Xxx

I'm off in a few minutes to catch the train to Portsmouth. My friend is meeting me and we are going to our usual fish restaurant. I've downloaded a voucher. :D Looking forward to seeing her as she is going to be up in York for a while. She recently stayed with my difficult friend in London, so I expect we will discuss that, plus the business of her son purchasing her apartment so she can use it as a pied a terre. :o:o:o

I'm wearing a mini dress, leggings and furry boots. :laugh: Plus a coat of course.

Much love, Heather UK xxxxxxx

• okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Chris - so sorry for your loss and your injury.

Okie
  • grandmallie
    Options
    well finally fell asleep a little after 2 and awake at 6:30 delayed opening in school even though grandma is sick I have to get Tal to school, will do some picking up around here and take her to school, and then run the errands I need to and come home and relax and then try and clean some more.. the snow does look pretty coming down outside,,, but pain in the neck to drive in..
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Chris (((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))) sorry to hear about your friend and your fall!!!
    Terry - I'll post pictures, I bought the socks at our dollar store to do 12, and got them all for $12.02 - will have to get rice, hair ties, and the cones... And of course find the time!!!

Kim in N. California

The hair ties I found at the drug store and the cones and rice I got at the dollar store too.
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday!

I’m at work early today as I had to drop off my DH earlier than usual. So though I would catch up on posts.

Allie, hope you feel better soon and can get some sleep. ((Hugs))

Sue, I think you made the right choice to have the surgery another day. Sending good thoughts.

Barbie, it is so hard when people push food on you. But you did so well! Here is a MFP link to “What to Say When People Push Food on You”. http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/what-to-say-when-people-push-food-on-you/

Wendy, The dog picture would make a cute Christmas card. It should have a funny caption under it. lol The park a and river are beautiful.

Karen, you will be there in spirit.

Here is a good easy fudge recipe. Don’t let what is in it turn you off. It really is good. Not a creamy type fudge but almost has the texture of having coconut in it. My mother would make is sometimes when we had left over mashed potatoes.

Potato Fudge

Melt in double boiler:

3 squares unsweetened chocolate
    4 tablespoons butter

Add:

1/8 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon vanilla

Add:

1/3 cup cooked mashed potatoes

Gradually add:

1 lb. confectionery sugar

(Make into balls or press into pan and cut into squares when hardened.)

Have a great day ladies, Terry in very cold VT ( only 11 degrees right now and only going to get up to 13 today and I can only get one glove on because of the cast!)
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Terry - put an old sock over your cast to keep your fingers covered. Not as good as a glove, but it helps.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    :)Terry, Thanks for the link. That was a great article.

<3Allie, Hope you feel better soon.

:) Another line dance class today. Three of my classmates are ill and won't be there so I am especially grateful today for good health.
    81824br5uyrfrsr.gif Barbie

Obsessed is the word the very lazy use to describe those who are dedicated.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,073 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

Chris so sorry for your loss and your injury. Healing thoughts.

Wendy adorable picture. Love the scenery.

M in OZ We have Walker shortbread here too and I agree the only way to go for shortbread unless you make it. A friend of mine made me some a few years ago and Walker is the only one that comes close. They have very few ingredients and nothing artificial.

Slept 8 hours with only one getting up to the bathroom. Progress. I have been trying to change my sleep habits for about a week. I do feel better weight is holding steady and considering all the going out to eat and parties I have been to this past week. I'll take it.

I was also struggling with some high notes that usually do not give me any difficulty. Between the better sleep and rediscovering my book and CD Set Your Voice Free by Roger Love. I had a great choir rehearsal last night. If you do any singing or public speaking I highly recommend this book.

:heart: Margaret
  • Machka9
    Options
    M in OZ We have Walker shortbread here too and I agree the only way to go for shortbread unless you make it. A friend of mine made me some a few years ago and Walker is the only one that comes close. They have very few ingredients and nothing artificial.

Yes! And I did buy a small box of Walker shortbread today. :) My husband and I each had one. We might keep doing that each day, or maybe every other day, until it's gone.

I will likely make some of my own from my grandmother's recipes, but meanwhile, the Walkers ones are nice. :)

• grandmallie
    Options
    Feeling a bit better will take Tal to school and run errands