December 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• veronicav0502
    veronicav0502 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Hi guys. Newbie here. Is it too late to join the challenge?
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    December Goal: 100 miles.

12/01 - Rest Day
    12/02 - 5.0 mi - 8:51 m/m 145 AHR
    12/03 - 9.2 mi - 9:17 m/m 141 AHR
    12/04 - Gym Workout
    12/05 - 5.0 mi - 8:53 m/m 145 AHR
    12/06 - Gym Workout
    12/07 - 6.0 mi - 8:54 m/m 146 AHR
    12/08 - Gym Workout
    12/09 - 5.1 mi - 8:57 m/m 144 AHR
    12/10 - 7.2 mi - 8:45 m/m 146 AHR
    12/11 - Rest Day
    12/12 - 4.2 mi - 8:58 m/m 140 AHR
    12/13 - 6.0 mi - 8:49 m/m 145 AHR

Total: 47.7/100

The past few weeks I dropped my running down to 4 days/wk, but my training plan starts next week, so I thought I would get another run in this week. Kind of a comedy of issues for me... 1) decided to run w/o a hat since it was almost 40F and I wanted to run with my BT earbuds and my new running beanie is too tight to wear with them; 2) about a 1/4 mile in I almost got ran over by a car doing a rolling stop; 3) about 1/2 mile in I realized I hadn't started my Garmin so ran w/o it; 4) about a mile in, the aforementioned BT earbuds died; 5) about 2 mi in, came to a street with a water main break that I had to tip tie through and still got my feet pretty wet; 6) between mi 2 and 3 I think I hit every red light and there was too much traffic to risk crossing; at this point I'm asking myself why I decided to run today, but then miles 3-6 were clear sailing. :)

Also, I know it is getting late in the season, but I created a Christmas music running playlist (mostly uptempo songs) in Google Play Music, so here is the link if you have an interest: Rus' Christmas Playlist -- edit to add, these are in no particular order, though mostly alpha by song title, so in my opinion, best to listen to in shuffle mode... :smile:

2017 Races
    02/25/17 - 26:06 - 5K Mardi Gras (not official course)
    04/01 - 53:23 - 10K Jadon's Hope Bug Run (1st)
    04/22 - 1:58:24 HM Garmin Oz Run (1st HM)
    06/18 - 54:04 - 10K Father's Day Run (gun time)
    08/05 - 24:02 - 5K Spencer Duncan
    09/16 - 52:01 - 10K Kade Meyer Celebration Run (PR)
    10/01 - 40:24 - 8K WWI Museum Double run (5K-25:53/3K-15:01)
    10/07 - 23:37 - 5K Jared Coons Pumpkin Run (PR)
    10/14 - 28:00 - 5K AIM Melanoma Virtual
    11/19 - 1:53:39 HM Pilgrim Pacer (PR)

11/23 - 8K STL Turkey Trot (Did not run due to logistics)
    2018 Races
  • rusgolden
    Options

Welcome... never to late to join!
  • rusgolden
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Whoo!!!!

No long distance running...
    Surgery January 25th.

Endoscopic decompression of the ITB that is 7mm thick at the I attachment. He said 5mm warrants surgical intervention, because there's no way I'm getting that thickness to stretch.

6 week crutches, said I'd be 70% at 12 weeks. And I should be able to resume running, I have a good hip structure for running, *flatterer*

Run on my people's.

Oh no, that is rough! At least you have a long term strategy!!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Whoo!!!!

Surgery January 25th.

Endoscopic decompression of the ITB that is 7mm thick at the I attachment. He said 5mm warrants surgical intervention, because there's no way I'm getting that thickness to stretch.

6 week crutches, said I'd be 70% at 12 weeks. And I should be able to resume running, I have a good hip structure for running, *flatterer*

Run on my people's.

BOO!!!!
    But good you have a fix planned and recovery schedule. Just freeze that cheesecake... ;)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Whoo!!!!

Surgery January 25th.

Run on my people's.

Yikes! Glad you have the long term plan figured out and your strategy is set! You're an asset to this group, so it's great you hang out even when you aren't running.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    12/1 - 5 miles. Still loving the warmer than average weather!
    12/2 - 5 miles.
    12/3 - Busy / rest day.
    12/4 - 5.15 miles. This weather is nuts! It was 63° at 4:45 a.m.
    12/5 - 4.75 miles. 35° temperature drop in 24 hours...Brrr!
    12/6 - 3.5 'mill miles, then upper body weights / abs.
    12/7 - Unplanned rest day. Didn't sleep...ZZZZZ
    12/8 - 3.5 on the treadmill, then weights and abs.
    12/9 - 4.5 windy miles.
    12/10 - 3 'mill miles, then extremely short upper body weights.
    12/11 - 5 miles.
    12/12 - Rest day.
    12/13 - 5 windy miles.

exercise.png
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    @bashincenters I'm so sorry you had to evacuate! I have been through it myself and it is so nerve wracking! We live in Oklahoma and were in the path of a huge wildfire back in 2012. We evacuated and came home to find the house untouched, but our entire property had burned. The grass was black not more than 6 inches from the house, so it was a close call. And after we came back, the wind shifted and brought the fire back from another direction, so we got to defend the neighbor's house with nothing but shovels (well water plus no electricity equals no water). Fun times. Anyway, I hope you are as lucky as we were, and I hope you have insurance on your home just in case!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    1st Boooooooo to all the injuries. (I had to skim a bunch)

2nd I run on the sidewalks. I watch people drive like morons in my neighborhood and have almost been hit multiple times because people don't know what those red things on a post are. Plus, cops like to tell us runners that they can ticket us for running in the street when a usable sidewalk is available. (I don't know anyone that's actually been issued a ticket, just warned).

3rd Missed my run last night because I had to run an errand and get stuff ready to ship. It was 8 pm before I even started dinner. So decided I would do it tonight and then I get an HPA email today. I hate running with an HPA because it makes it even harder to breathe. I will do it but it just stinks. Too many people using fire places when it's not even cold out. I haven't even turned the heat on yet!
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    @ereck44 I never ice sprains or any kind of muscle or tendon injury. I feel I recover more quickly if I continue using it than if I sit around and let it get stiff. As far as ankle strength, I tend to focus a lot on balance exercises (think yoga poses where you're standing on one leg with your body in various positions and moving through the pose) .
  • hjeppley
    hjeppley Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Squeezed in a quick run over lunchtime today. I am going to attempt to get back to running 5 days a week this week. We'll see. The end of the week is super busy but I hope I have time to squeeze one in tomorrow too! XC Race with the family on Saturday.
    Whoo!!!!

Surgery January 25th.

Run on my people's.

Ouch! That sounds painful. It must be frustrating having to wait so long to get on the road to recovery. I have also felt in a cycle of foot/hip pain on the same side, but am slowing digging myself out thanks to some really good PTs.
    Sounds like you do have a plan though! Watch out for that cheesecake. When I got injured last spring I very quickly gained 10 lbs. Been trying to ditch the extra ever since!

@lporter229 Yes, hanging in there, slowly ramping. I also hope to start ultra/marathon training in January. Doing my first half inv1.5 years in late January, but I think I am ready for that now assuming things don't go south between now and then.

@7lenny7 I need to do those single leg standing things more often. I am terrible at them and it shows!

Goals this month: 90 miles, maintain weight, PT and yoga, add one day of weights per week, register for spring marathon or ultra,

Day/Distance/Comments

Dec 1 Walk outside for about 30 min (rest before race)
    Dec 2 Jackson 50/50 10 mile “Fun Run” 4th female finisher in this crazy steep trail race (10.2 mi total)
    Dec 3 3.4 mi slow recovery run, PT
    Dec 4 Water walking + PT
    Dec 5 3.3 mi
    Dec 6 Rest day (unintentional!)
    Dec 7 3.1 mi + PT
    Dec 8 Water walking
    Dec 9 5.5 mi + yoga + some PT
    Dec 10 12 mi + Gymnastic Bodies stretching routine + PT
    Dec 11 Water walking + PT
    Dec 12 5.1 mi + PT
    Dec 13 3.1 mi + PT

Goal: 90 mi
    Done: 45.7 mi
    To go: 54.3 mi

Upcoming races:
    Dirty Santa XC (5K) Dec 16
    Winter Night Trail Half Marathon Jan 20

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    @Elise4270 I know everyone else is saying boo and ouch, which is probably more appropriate, but I'm going to go with YAY! because I'm glad you have a diagnosis, a solid treatment plan, and a good prognosis! When you have a persistent injury, there is nothing better than that.

Amen. I am so ready to put this behind me. I'm ready to get over the hump, and I'm looking forward to developing a training plan instead of an injury mitigation plan.

I was assured that this recovery is easier, 9-10 months on the DGS. I should be able to use my local pt for rehab and not trek to Dallas for it. Which may be hard since it's my right. I may not be allowed to drive or may not wanna.

I'll immediately be doing 30 minutes on the bike trainer daily. So no laying around waiting to ba able to do anything.
    I've had way too much caffeine today. Darn that Starbucks :wink:
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    @Elise4270 I know everyone else is saying boo and ouch, which is probably more appropriate, but I'm going to go with YAY! because I'm glad you have a diagnosis, a solid treatment plan, and a good prognosis! When you have a persistent injury, there is nothing better than that.

I vote YAY! for the same reason. There's nothing worse than not knowing what the problem is or what it will take to fix it. @Elise4270 has shown she's tough so I have no doubt that she'll get through this and get back on her feets and on the trail.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

I vote YAY! for the same reason. There's nothing worse than not knowing how what the problem is or what it will take to fix it. @Elise4270 has shown she's tough so I have no doubt that she'll get through this and get back on her feets and on the trail.

I echo the sentiments @Elise4270

Be safe @bashincenters and I hope it all works out.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 yes I brought Mia in just where it was looking like the concussion I had as a kid. They said she's fine, so idk but she is incredibly angsty today. Her first words when I woke her up this morning we're, "I don't want YOU! I want Daddy!" :#
  • veronicav0502
    veronicav0502 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    rusgolden wrote: »

Welcome... never to late to join!
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    @veronicav0502 Welcome and beware. This is a very active post. You could come down with a case of adult-onset running.

Thanks! :)