Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

This decades “health woo”

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I came across this at the local home show.

https://greenteahawaii.com/

$89 a box to guarantee you get your day's worth of antioxidants and trace minerals.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    mph323 wrote: »
    I'm really sorry you had to go through this, and you're so right to be pushing your sister. If you're in the US you have a right to a copy of your medical records, including lab results, maybe she can request those and go for a second opinion (yes, that's hard, especially if you're planning to continue seeing the original doctor, but sometimes it's necessary.)

Privacy Rule:

The Privacy Rule gives you, with few exceptions, the right to inspect, review, and receive a copy of your medical records and billing records that are held by health plans and health care providers covered by the Privacy Rule.

Patients have a right to participate in their own medical care, and sometimes advocating for ones' self is the only way to get appropriate treatment.

Best of luck to both of you.

*sigh* I know and I have been pushing for her to go get those numbers but she won't take my concerns seriously. She doesn't want to deal with the hassle.

I've just moved back to this area and I know one thing - I am NOT seeing that doctor! My doctors in Morgantown, WV always gave me the numbers. I could log on to see them, and after every visit, I even was given a print out with all the information from the visit, any readings they took, and the doctors comments and recommendations. My PCP there was wonderful, and the endocrinologist was okay, though I wanted to try the natural thyroid because though they have my TSH extremely low as part of the cancer treatment, I'm still showing hypo symptoms - low symptoms, depression, etc. She wouldnt' do it - said it wasn't recommended for patients without thyroids and being treated for cancer.

Since I moved, I'll be switching endos, so I'm going to bring the issue up again.

@DeanaFisher : thanks for the information! Since I'm switching doctors, I'll try the ThyCa web forum and see if I can find a good one close by
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Oh one that was plastered all over FB for a good while was a special coffee. And if course the magical teas like Fittea or whatever it's called.
  • Butterchop
    Butterchop Posts: 203 Member
    mmapags wrote: »
    That any single food is to blame for obesity.

The insulin fairy (it's bad science, people).

That sugar is evil.

GMO fear mongering

Keto

Any diet cultism

Paleo

Bullet proof coffee

Definitely the "insulin fairy" as the overarching one of the decade. I see the "sugar is the debil", Keto and Paleo as all subsets of that. Sadly, most of those that bark up the insulin tree don't even really understand what insulin does physiologically and think it stores fat magically. In the end, if you don't have excess energy to store (energy balance), you are going to make fat.

Once someone is Insulin Resistant you have a whole other ball game but insulin wasn't the problem to begin with in most cases. It was the unrestrained overeating and obesity that was caused by that. With a small % of folks with a genetic component, IR doesn't happen to people at a normal body weight/ BMI.

Just wanted to add it happened to me . 4 ft 11 in 100 pounds diagnosed with IR and PCOS. Completely healthy otherwise.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Social media fitness/nutrition "experts". There are really good/respected individuals that used social media, but so much crap out there in these fields.
  • Jackibrazil
    Jackibrazil Posts: 124 Member
    Alkaline water
  • maura_tasi
    maura_tasi Posts: 196 Member
    Chronic Lyme Disease
    Morgellon's

Actually i know a woman that took 30 years to be diagnosed properly with Lymes. ...its a terrible disease.

It's a terrible disease! The panel for it often is a false negative. An aunt of mine got it from her husband (unknowingly of course- it can can be transmitted through sex). She had symptoms for over 8 years with no answers. She finally got her answer when another test was run and gave the positive result and she began treatment. Her husband isn't so lucky- it started to deteriorate his joints and he is on his second hip replacement at the age of 55. I'm not too sure the reasoning behind this test not FDA approved but you think it would be since the typical test is often known for giving a false negative!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    mph323 wrote: »
    I'm really sorry you had to go through this, and you're so right to be pushing your sister. If you're in the US you have a right to a copy of your medical records, including lab results, maybe she can request those and go for a second opinion (yes, that's hard, especially if you're planning to continue seeing the original doctor, but sometimes it's necessary.)

Privacy Rule:

The Privacy Rule gives you, with few exceptions, the right to inspect, review, and receive a copy of your medical records and billing records that are held by health plans and health care providers covered by the Privacy Rule.

Patients have a right to participate in their own medical care, and sometimes advocating for ones' self is the only way to get appropriate treatment.

Best of luck to both of you.

*sigh* I know and I have been pushing for her to go get those numbers but she won't take my concerns seriously. She doesn't want to deal with the hassle.

I've just moved back to this area and I know one thing - I am NOT seeing that doctor! My doctors in Morgantown, WV always gave me the numbers. I could log on to see them, and after every visit, I even was given a print out with all the information from the visit, any readings they took, and the doctors comments and recommendations. My PCP there was wonderful, and the endocrinologist was okay, though I wanted to try the natural thyroid because though they have my TSH extremely low as part of the cancer treatment, I'm still showing hypo symptoms - low symptoms, depression, etc. She wouldnt' do it - said it wasn't recommended for patients without thyroids and being treated for cancer.

Since I moved, I'll be switching endos, so I'm going to bring the issue up again.

@DeanaFisher : thanks for the information! Since I'm switching doctors, I'll try the ThyCa web forum and see if I can find a good one close by

Yeah, I would get a new doctor if mine wouldn't give me numbers. Good grief.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    @ninjacakegirl A few people did not like my comment, but they didn't understand. I wasn't referring to the minority who actually have a thyroid condition. I was talking about the people you describe in your second paragraph. This is what seems to make it a "fad" disease. Not that it doesn't exist, but that it seems too many people assume they have it just use it as an excuse.

I understood that you were not referring to the minority who actually have a thyroid condition. You meant people like the British belly dancer who assumed she had a slow metabolism, and then she got tested and found her metabolism was fine - she was simply eating too much.
  • Good_Morning_Glory
    Good_Morning_Glory Posts: 226 Member
    sarjenki wrote: »
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    I'm doing the 97 day Keto detox egg fast for my blood type.
    (building up my woos)

I'm confused. Are you allowed to deduct your fiber from the total carb count in this diet? Oh and can I put cheese on the eggs?

And what about heavy cream? Is it allowed in coffee?

:D
    ;)

• VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Anything promoted by Dr. Oz.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Calorie counting and moderation is the only way to lose weight!

Counting calories certainly isn't required to lose weight. But being in a calorie deficit is. It's the only way weight loss happens.

And on that note, I'd say this decade's health woo is people who don't believe that you have to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight. Might as well go around loudly proclaiming that the Earth is flat.

I don’t disagree with you that a calorie deficit is what causes weight loss.

I would say it’s a very small percentage of people on MFP that believe or proclaim otherwise. Certainly on MFP a smaller percentage than proclaim the health woo that calorie counting / moderation is the ‘one true diet’ IMHO.

Please clarify this post- a small percentage of MFPers claim calorie counting is the "one true diet"?

Would like to understand that also. I don't recall ever seeing that claim.