Looking for people who are trying out Contrave? Thoughts? Is it working?

Options

Replies

• mommytoharley
    mommytoharley Posts: 4 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Hi everyone... looking for lots of support and encouragement. Feeling a bit down as of right now. I started Contrave on June 10 and as of today (7/31) I've only lost 5 lbs. I can't seem to budge. My cravings are down somewhat though I know I still make some wrong dietary decisions. My exercise level is minimal due to a work injury to my hand. I am walking a lot though so I'm getting something at least. I need to get down another 7lbs or more by 9/7 when I return to my doctor. The side effects I first experienced were nausea, headaches, dizziness, flushing and constipation. All but the headaches and nausea are gone (thankfully), but I gotta tell ya they are kicking my butt. I'm so drained by the end of the day with the pressure in my head and neck. The nausea comes on about an hour after my morning dose (6am) and usually subsides by noon. Sometimes it doesn't start up after the second dose, but when it does it's the same time period. I can tolerate it though. The headaches are another thing. :( It doesn't matter if I take Excedrin, Advil, etc. it doesn't budge. Am currently on the full dose - 2 pills in the AM, 2 in the afternoon.

(Forgot to add into my original post - I'm looking to lose 80lbs and then some. I'd be happy with getting down to 200 by Thanksgiving, which means 25lbs right now.)

My biggest complaint / concern is that I have zero support system. Well that's not entirely true - I do have my husband, but he's not in need of serious weight loss like me. My family is practically non-existent, my co-workers are "difficult" and catty. I have a busy neighborhood and the people are very nice, but I'm an introvert so chatting up with them is hard. Besides with my work schedule and then physical therapy in the evening, it makes getting out all the more difficult. But enough with the excuses... I really need some encouragement. I recently won a 70lb heavy bag and finally tracked down a stand for it. I plan on using it in my backyard since I have limited indoor space. I used to do kickboxing and loved it, but then scheduling conflicts made me cancel that membership. So I'd like to start that up again. My husband is setting it up tonight and I plan on getting out there and doing what I can with the limited use of my left hand. Everything else works fine - legs, right hand / arm - so there's no reason why I can't at least do 3/4 of my body, right? Hopefully with the combination of that, plus a stricter diet I can drop the required pounds in a month (though praying for more).

Please feel free to message me with your thoughts, ideas, anything. I love to write so I will respond. Together we can do this... please nudge me along the way. :)

p.s. - how do you friend request someone on this board?
  • rscontreras1
    rscontreras1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started Contrave Oct 2015 and by Feb 2016, I lost 80lbs and unfortunately ended up in the hospital for 3 weeks. Apparently I lost too much weight in a short period of time compromising my system. Ended up with pancreatitis and gall bladder disease. Had gall bladder removed and now I am taking medication for pre-dibetes.
    I gained some of the weight back and my question to the group is will I lose weight if I start taking 1 pill a day? I found that at the max dosage of 4 pills was very strong for me. I had zero appetite and oftentimes went days without eating.
  • jessicaelaine82
    jessicaelaine82 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Today is day 9 taking contrave

SW 340
    CW 328
    1st GW 300
    Main GW 200

After day 5 seems like weight started falling quick.
  • night_owls1985
    night_owls1985 Posts: 40 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Did you go to you're family doctor or a weight loss doctor to be able to go on this pill ?
  • night_owls1985
    night_owls1985 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I started Contrave Oct 2015 and by Feb 2016, I lost 80lbs and unfortunately ended up in the hospital for 3 weeks. Apparently I lost too much weight in a short period of time compromising my system. Ended up with pancreatitis and gall bladder disease. Had gall bladder removed and now I am taking medication for pre-dibetes.
    I gained some of the weight back and my question to the group is will I lose weight if I start taking 1 pill a day? I found that at the max dosage of 4 pills was very strong for me. I had zero appetite and oftentimes went days without eating.

How big are the pills ?
  • astingel2016
    astingel2016 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I am about to go back onto Contrave in a few days. I was out for a couple of months at the end of 2015 but I couldn't afford it anymore. I lost about 20 lbs so I know it will work for me.

My question is about where you got your rx filled. In 2015 I used. CVS with the discount card and it was $70. Now I'm using Walmart and they want to charge me $99 with the discount card! I'm like what!? Has anyone else seen a price hike or should I go back to CVS?
  • kellmvb
    kellmvb Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Hello all! I am about to go back onto Contrave in a few days. I was out for a couple of months at the end of 2015 but I couldn't afford it anymore. I lost about 20 lbs so I know it will work for me.

My question is about where you got your rx filled. In 2015 I used. CVS with the discount card and it was $70. Now I'm using Walmart and they want to charge me $99 with the discount card! I'm like what!? Has anyone else seen a price hike or should I go back to CVS?

Hi,

This is my first time purchasing Contrave. I purchased it from CVS in August for $99 as well and that was with the coupon. The pharmacy tech tried like heck to find additional discounts to lower the cost but $99 was the cheapest she could find. I'm glad you asked this question because I was wondering if Walmart was any cheaper, I guess not.

• kellmvb
    Options
    This is my second week on contrave just wondering how everyone is doing? I have a few side effects for the first couple of days (headache and nausea) but I haven't experienced anything else since. I haven't weighed myself yet, I plan to weigh myself Friday.

5ft 1
    SW 160
    GW 125
  • angleeho1801
    angleeho1801 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Let me know how it works out. I've been considering trying it out. Did you get it thru your doctor or the company? Thanks! Angie
  • kellmvb
    Options
    Let me know how it works out. I've been considering trying it out. Did you get it thru your doctor or the company? Thanks! Angie

I will definitely give an update. My doctor prescribed them for me. I asked for phentermine and she prescribed these instead.

• rachelboydpotter
    rachelboydpotter Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm in week 3 (interestingly, I was on this as part of the clinical trials before it was FDA approved). I remember from the trials that the side effects are minimized if I drink lots of water 10-12 cups per day and if I keep up fiber intake. I've lost about 15 pounds (started at 225) and as a "crutch" contrave helps me to make better choices. While some report difficulty sleeping, I find that I am sleeping better than I have in a long time.
  • isbutteracarb84
    isbutteracarb84 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started it yesterday and my appetite was gone within 30 minutes and was gone for the day. So this morning I decided to eat breakfast before I took it and was so glad I did. I just tried to eat a salad about 12 hours after taking the pill and I feel like I'm 7 months pregnant with a taco baby. I def needed a curb in my emotional eating but I do need to eat some so this is concerning since it's only 1/4 of the full dose. Other than that I do feel a bit agitated or easily frustrated which stinks because I'm generally chill. Will keep trying
  • alstonkenya
    alstonkenya Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So I started phentermine 30 days ago and I have nothing but great things to say. I lost a total of 12 lbs and I feel frkn great. I'm 5'8 and was a 181lbs. I try to keep to a 1200 calories a day, I only walk 4 miles a day 4 days a week, and I walk 5 miles on the wknd. The pills are frkn amazing, no side effects other than dry mouth. They really helped and I have 13 more lbs to go. I know I can do this!
  • Rini_s
    Rini_s Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I started today. I'm hopeful. Going to drink lots of water today as I've heard that minimizes the side effects.

SW 197
    GW 130
  • RenaPink11
    RenaPink11 Posts: 343 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I started contrave in May... I lost 7-7.5 lbs each in the first two months. The past 3 months, it's been hit and miss if I remember to take it like I am suppose to. I'm down 30 lbs total. Gym at least 5 x's a week and I walk every day at lunch for 30-40 mins. I can tell when I don't take it b/c I catch myself wanting to snack constantly! The only side effect I have had is some dizzy spells here and there and nausea. The nausea is only when I take it without eating which I make sure not to do, b/c I can't stand the feeling. Otherwise, I've had no problems with it. Feel free to add me as a friend if you like.
  • phieaglefan
    phieaglefan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I just finished reading 95% of this entire thread. I started Contrave yesterday. Starting weight is 185 and goal weight is 155.

I'm only on day two, but so far I am as hungry as ever, BUT I noticed today that even though I was hungry, I had no real interest in eating. It took me forever to eat my lunch as I kept putting it down to do other things. It's an odd feeling. My normal state is eating when I'm not hungry and today I was not wanting to eat while actually being hungry.

Side effects not really bothersome at this point. I'll try to come back here and check in in a few days.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I just finished reading 95% of this entire thread. I started Contrave yesterday. Starting weight is 185 and goal weight is 155.

I'm only on day two, but so far I am as hungry as ever, BUT I noticed today that even though I was hungry, I had no real interest in eating. It took me forever to eat my lunch as I kept putting it down to do other things. It's an odd feeling. My normal state is eating when I'm not hungry and today I was not wanting to eat while actually being hungry.

Side effects not really bothersome at this point. I'll try to come back here and check in in a few days.

• farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    This cracked me up. I just started last night and feel fine but noticed i kept putting my lunch down which is so odd because normally I’m shoving it down!
    If you get this let me know how you’re doing!
  • HappilySingle
    HappilySingle Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Hey, I started using Contrave on Tuesday. Very excited about what it is doing. Just like the poster above me I’m not thinking of food every often. Still only on one pill but no side effects.

Has anyone kept taking only one pill and lost weight?