December 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    No run today, spent all day in a car instead. Not looking good for tomorrow either. Gonna be a fat week I think. Probably spend all of January working it off.
    Fat 4 days for me. Then off work Wed through the 1st, so I'll have to try to get back on track ASAP on Wed, when I get home. Got to love it.

Speaking of looking ahead to the week. Projected HIGH temps for next Sat/Sun are -9 and -11F respectively So around -22c Lows are projected to be around -20F, so it looks like my long run a week from today is going to be a COLD one.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    December goal: 95.71 miles

12/1 3.51
    12/2 5.00
    12/3 rest
    12/4 4.25
    12/5 5.87
    12/6 4.30
    12/7 3.25
    12/8 rest
    12/9 6.01
    12/10 3.13
    12/11 rest
    12/12 5.20
    12/13 4.94
    12/14 ...more ornaments...
    12/15 5.10
    12/16 4.20
    12/17 Christmassytheaterconcertstuff
    12/18 helped dh "make" my birthday/Christmas gift: painted the kitchen/dining/library
    12/19 6.5 for my 65th
    12/20 4.25
    12/21 4.18
    12/22 3.18
    12/23 2.44
    12/24 3.26

Total 78.57

Mele Kalikimaka to all who celebrate!
    @JessicaMcB so sorry to hear about the dogbite....hoping for a quick recovery. I'll add to the conversation about unleashed dogs: I can no longer run with my dogs in my neighborhood (they are always leashed) because the *kitten* up the hill will not leash theirs, and one of them attacks my shepherd EVERY SINGLE TIME we go out...and they just don't care. I won't risk a serious injury....so no more running with the dogs.

Ticker is my goal for 2017 and progress to date:

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    Phoenix Women's 10k 1/28/18
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Jessica ouch! I'm glad you weren't badly hurt and hope you figure out how to keep it from happening again. How annoying that the owner isn't willing to be responsible.

Merry Christmas everyone! We got everything wrapped with an hour to go!
  • penko47
    penko47 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    @skippygirlsmom and @HonuNui it's not too bad because I had three pairs of thick tights on (thanks Canadian winter, you are the real VIP) but since I've had dealings with these dogs before and buddy just walked off after I confronted him, no apology, nada I am pissed off. The ER staff were mad as hell

(P.S. Clearly I love you guys because this is the after I cleaned the blood off photo :D )

Not good unleashed dogs should still be trained to not bite runners. I know my husband has had some close calls too, I have been lucky so far in that all dogs, so far have just bee either looking at me as if I am slightly weird or just run along with me, or race me.
    The owner here is the real problem though, shrugging it off like that. Personally I'd be inclined to call the police.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB BRing some bear spray (not mace!) with you, and next time you see the dog (and heck the owner too) give him a dose. They are based on pepper spray an will send the dog running without harming him. Do that every time and the dog will at least learn.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    My husband gave me my own Garmin Forerunner 235 for christmas! I am so happy with it. So far I have been using my husbands old 910XT, but now I have my own new one. It is smaller on my wrist and has backlighting (nice in winter) as well as Bluetooth and more widget stuff. Seriously impressed with it. My husband felt I needed my own one as my running is getting serious now.
    Of course I had to trial it as soon as is reached 100%. Could squeeze in a 4k run before we drive over to my family for the family dinner.

Congrats!!! 4k before dinner means extra pie :smiley:
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Merry Christmas, y'all! (if you do not celebrate then, Happy Random Day In December!)
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB Ouch! Hope that heals up quickly! I ran into a German Shepherd who wanted to eat my face a couple days ago but he was leashed thankfully. I second the bear spray!
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I signed up for some things.

Upcoming Races:
    1/1/18 Resolution Run 5K
    3/4/18 MEC Road Race #1 10K
    4/8/18 Jasper Half Marathon
    4/22/18 MEC Trail Race #1 5K
    5/20/18 MEC Trail Race #2 10K
    6/24/18 MEC Trail Race #3 15K
    8/18/18 Edmonton Marathon 10K
    9/2/18 MEC Trail Race #4 10K
    10/7/18 MEC Trail Race #5 15K

• cameronheel
    cameronheel Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Merry Christmas to everyone. Hope you got everything you all wanted.

Since I am a relatively new runner, I racked up on running apparel and gear, from a hydration belt to cool weather gear, and I love it all. My sister even surprised me with a registration for a 1/2 in Wilmington in March. I normally would have been thrilled, only problem is I now have a HM on March 17 and my first full which she did not know about on March 25. I think I will try both, but use the 1/2 as a slow training run. Will be hard not to push it as I know how I am in competitive races, but I will try to keep the pace slow. Any advice?
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    What a coincidence- you guys are talking unleashed dogs on the day my run was cut short because one bit me. I am team if your dog is an *kitten* put them on a lead because I didn't fancy getting a tetanus shot at the hospital on Christmas :#

Anyway Merry Christmas to everybody who is down with that!
    @JessicaMcB Glad you had your "Winter" gear on and it helped reduce the injury damage. I would go to the Town office and report the dangerous off leash dog, the RCMP ( some members are runners ) and the local SPCA or equivalent. Remember your not just protecting your self - but any children that might be out running and playing, in fact if you us that line in your report it tends to increase the attention that the dog owner will receive.
    That's always my biggest fear that some child will get hurt.
    Gonna be a fat week I think. Probably spend all of January working it off.
    Fat 4 days for me. Speaking of looking ahead to the week. Projected HIGH temps for next Sat/Sun are -9 and -11F respectively So around -22c Lows are projected to be around -20F, so it looks like my long run a week from today is going to be a COLD one.
    @MNLittleFinn -24C this morning and dropping. :( so really feeling the common viewpoint of FAT Week. I have actually managed to accidentally miss 3 feedings due to conflicting schedules . Off to my niece's for Brunch and my Mom's for 2nd Brunch.

I wish I would have bookmarked this one blog by a reporter who used every salutation for every cultural and religion he was able to research. He was making the point that even if you did not celebrate a Traditional Christmas it was socially and politically correct to wish good things to all people at any time of year.
    So Merry Christmas to all my MFP Running Friends, hope there was some nice running kit under the tree.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Merry Christmas!

I realized I haven't checked in here for several days.
    Made the trip back from my mom's (VA to FL) on Saturday and it was grueling. Only ran one mile at the SC welcome center - which was a little ironic because that was the worst state to drive through. The traffic was awful - I've made the trip in 13 hours with stops. Last week it was 15 hours but that's because I stopped to run 3 times. This was 17 hours!!! At least my daughter and her BF drove most of the way.

Anyway, the streak is alive! Yesterday was the first day running back in Florida and it was AWFUL. The heat after a week in the cool VA weather just terrible for me. Plus I had stomach issues. Today was great though! Decided to get back on the bike and then do my one mile. Both felt great!

12/1 - 1.5 miles #RWRunStreak Day9
    12/2 - 43 miles cycling + 1 mile #RWRunStreak Day10
    12/3 - 40 miles cycling + 1 mile #RWRunStreak Day11
    12/4 - 3.1 miles + Strength Training Glutes W3-A - #RWRunStreak Day12
    12/5 - 4 miles #RWRunStreak Day 13 + strength training W3B
    12/6 - 2 miles #RWRunStreak Day 14
    12/7 - 1.3 miles #RWRunStreak Day 15 + strength training W3C
    12/8 - 4 miles #RWRunStreak Day 16
    12/9 - 7 miles! #RWRunStreak Day 17
    12/10 - 1 mile #RWRunStreak Day 18 + Glutes W4A
    12/11 - 3.11 miles #RWRunStreakDay 19
    12/12 - 2 miles #RWRunStreakDay 20 + Glutes W4B
    12/13 - 3 miles #RWRunStreakDay21 + arms
    12/14 - 3.5 miles #RWRunStreakDay22
    12/15 - 1 mile #RWRunStreakDay23 + Glutes W4C
    12/16 - 3 miles — 1 mile each in GA, SC, NC #RWRunStreakDay24
    12/17 - 4 miles #RWRunStreak Day 25
    12/18 - 2 miles #RWRunStreak Day 26 + Glutes- W5-modified
    12/19 - 8 miles #RWRunStreak Day 27
    12/20 - rest day, 1 Mile for the Streak — #RWRunStreak Day 28
    12/21 - 5 miles - #RWRunStreak Day 29 + Glutes w5 modified
    12/22 - 5 miles #RWRunStreak Day 30
    12/23 - 1 mile - #RWRunStreak Day 31
    12/24 - 2.7 miles #RWRunStreak Day 32
    12/25 - 24 miles biking + 1 mile run - #RWRunStreak Day 33

Daytona Beach HM - 2/4/19

exercise.png

• garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @dutchandkiwi The 235 is an awesome watch and will serve you well; enjoy!
    @JessicaMcB Ouch! Sorry to hear that. Irresponsible dog owners are just the pits.

Well, Merry Christmas everyone...hope you all avoided Santa's naughty list. I managed to get out of the house for a couple more miles this morning as I make the very slow gradual return to running. It feels like it's going to take forever to fully heal, but reality suggests it'll be a lot sooner than that (not wanting to wish my life away, but c'mon February!), especially once I manage to increase my running to three times per week. Now to enjoy the rest of Christmas with the family.

22 - 2.48
    25 - 2.23

Total: 4.71 / 0 miles
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Merry Christmas! I got a mask for Christmas and used it this morning for 23*F/-5*C
    12/25 10.01 miles
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Met some running friends for an 8k this morning before heading to my aunts for lunch. Now I’m watching the Village People in the Hollywood Parade! Merry Christmas to all!