Jan 1 - 7.77K
    Jan 2 - 2.18K

Just a short outing today.

January total: 9.95K/100K

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Whoa! How did you make this cool graphic with all of your maps?! That's so neat.

@LaurenFOB2301 if you use Strava, you can go here and link to your Strava account.

Mine would basically look the same. I need to move. LOL

Mine too. Same same same. I'm so boring.

I sometimes reverse it. In case anyone is trying to follow me. LOL (Paranoid much?)

@RunsOnEspresso that is a good idea. I tell Skip to do that but I didn't t follow my own advice.

First day officially at my new job and Skip calls first thing. She was doing laundry and the washer poured water out on the floor. First I had to register the words "I'm doing laundry" with my brain lol. My new boss said go home and see what going on I said nah it's good. He said you were so calm talking to her you'll be great here when the chaos hits. Hey a broken washer I can handle when she first said there's water everywhere I thought broken pipe.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,977 Member
    Options
    No run again for me today. I want to run, but I don't want to run when the wind chill is 17. I'm not as tough as most of you lol. Tomorrow should be better and it looks pretty good for the rest of the week so hopefully soon. I feel really behind this month, but it is only the 2nd so I'm not really behind. I am missing my runs though. I've never run on a treadmill and really don't want to, but this week I have kind of wished I had access to one.

For those of you that use garmin connect and do yoga, how do you enter that? I can enter it as a manual activity but it doesn't give me calories or hr info. If I enter it as cardio on my watch it gives me the calorie and hr info, but there is no yoga option and it goes over to mfp as aerobics. It's not a big deal, I'm just still figuring out the new garmin and I just wondered if there was a way to enter it so that it shows up as yoga.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent have you tried taping up the outside of your shoes with duct tape when it gets cold? It makes a big difference and the tape easily comes off after the run. Last night I forgot to tape my shoes and only got a quarter of a mile out before I had to come back and tape them up. Running shoes are designed for air flow, which you don't want when it's cold out.

You are the second person to mention that in this thread, but I have never heard of that before now. Does it really make a difference? Someone else is suggesting Gortex socks, but man are they pricey!

Amazon: http://amzn.to/2lLV3fk

My toes DO do much better in my Merrill hiking boots.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent have you tried taping up the outside of your shoes with duct tape when it gets cold? It makes a big difference and the tape easily comes off after the run. Last night I forgot to tape my shoes and only got a quarter of a mile out before I had to come back and tape them up. Running shoes are designed for air flow, which you don't want when it's cold out.

You are the second person to mention that in this thread, but I have never heard of that before now. Does it really make a difference? Someone else is suggesting Gortex socks, but man are they pricey!

@PastorVincent Huge. The mesh upper in running shoes is designed to allow maximum airflow to keep your foot cool and allow your sweat to evaporate out. If it's windy, even more so. That's great in the summer but not in the winter.

Airflow = Loss of Heat. Duct tape blocks the airflow and allows the air in your shoe which your foot has warmed up to hang around a little longer. If I can remember, I'll tape one of my shoes tonight when I get home and post a photo. I put them on then tape the side to about my ankle, and the tops up to, and including, most of the laces. This is best down on a warm, dry, clean shoe to allow the tape the best chance for staying on the shoe.

Will it be enough for you? I can't say, but it costs nearly nothing to try. Last night was windless but the airflow through my untaped uppers was enough to chill my toes fast. After going back to tape my shoes, it was no longer an issue.

Have you tried the golf mitts yet? I've used those twice now. They're not without their issues, but overall a welcome addition to my winter running arsenal.
  • bride001
    bride001 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    01/01/2018 - 3.0 miles
    01/02/2018 - 4.0 miles

Waited until 3 pm to run at the warmest part of the day again. It was 37 F with a feel like of 30 F. Cloudy today and the wind was from the North at 4 mph. Base layer with long sleeve T-shirt and pants. Thick headband for ear protection. Gloves got ditched again at 1.5 miles.

Still figuring out the Garmin - I apparently did not start the run until I was a little over a quarter mile in. Started watch then and ran until it said 4 miles.

7/75 miles

@HRKinchen - Welcome! Glad to see you also run some of the Q50 races.
    @skippygirlsmom - hope everything is okay with washing machine!

Upcoming races (Question marks are races not yet registered for):
    Q50 Resolution Run - 01/06/2018 - ?
    Louisiana Marathon Quarter Marathon - 01/13/2018
    Mardi Gras Mambo 10K -02/17/2018
    OLOLCH Amazing Challenge 5K and 10K - 03/10-11/2018 - ?
    Q50 Races Sunset Gulf 3/24/2018 -?
    BIG EASY BIG HEART 5K 7/21/2018 -?
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

@PastorVincent Huge. The mesh upper in running shoes is designed to allow maximum airflow to keep your foot cool and allow your sweat to evaporate out. If it's windy, even more so. That's great in the summer but not in the winter.

Airflow = Loss of Heat. Duct tape blocks the airflow and allows the air in your shoe which your foot has warmed up to hang around a little longer. If I can remember, I'll tape one of my shoes tonight when I get home and post a photo. I put them on then tape the side to about my ankle, and the tops up to, and including, most of the laces. This is best down on a warm, dry, clean shoe to allow the tape the best chance for staying on the shoe.

Will it be enough for you? I can't say, but it costs nearly nothing to try. Last night was windless but the airflow through my untaped uppers was enough to chill my toes fast. After going back to tape my shoes, it was no longer an issue.

Have you tried the golf mitts yet? I've used those twice now. They're not without their issues, but overall a welcome addition to my winter running arsenal.

Not yet. I think they will be helpful, but need to solve the toes first.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    @eponine1984 Congrats on the new baby!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Ignore duplicate post. Nothing to see here, move along. move along...
  • HRKinchen
    HRKinchen Posts: 202 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    bride001 wrote: »
    @HRKinchen - Welcome! Glad to see you also run some of the Q50 races.

Yes, love them! Signed up for the Extravaganza (5) today!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    SO, I'm thinking.... We all have goals for this year and it's so easy to declare goals and then they slip by as time goes on, just never staying at the forefront of our minds, never really getting the dedication they deserve. and a new year comes, and I never made as much progress as I'd liked.

What if we did another google sheet? I'm not sure if we'd want to do a tab per person or just a X "im doing this" and the date achieved or if someone has other thoughts. Specific monthly challenges? like eat broccoli? LOL!

I started one here I cant remember how to make sure its unlocked... so if its not, just let me know or if you'd rather start one that's totally okay by me.

Just brainstorming. so please run with it if you are interested. We still have the measurements one. I need to do an update, but I've gained so i have lacked motivation, but now's a good time to do that.

____
    now.... im going to go get on the frozen TM for my 3K.

@RunTimer Sorry about the phone! ugh!
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options

01.01.18 - 10 m. TM @ 8:30.
    01.02.18 - 9 m. TM @ 9:15.

January Goal - 220 total running miles. 4 Bike Rides of 15 - 20 miles.

Tentative Race Calendar:
    1.27 or 1.28 - Scheduling.
    3.4.18 - Little Rock Marathon
    4.7.18 - Yakima River Canyon Marathon
    5.6.18 - Flying Pig Marathon
    5.20.18 - IronMan 70.3 Chattanooga
    7.14.18 - IronMan 70.3 Muncie

MM - 7877