WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2018

Options

Replies

• wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Machka, I can't see any number beside my grey bell and nothing about notifications next to it. I tried left and right clicking on it, but can't see any options for notifications. I use my laptop not a phone to come on this forum.

We also were very poor when we were first married and I remember going to a picnic once and taking boiled macaroni noodles with nothing whatsoever on them, as that was all we had in the cupboard! And I remember that we had a budget of $10 every payday (every two weeks) for personal expenses...such as sanitary pads. Those were the days...We are tight now and learning how to do without is coming in handy, LOL.

My fast today has gone well and I have managed to stick to it. I already hopped on the scales for a sneak preview and see that the number has dropped by three pounds from yesterday's horrifying high. (My semi-fast yesterday dropped me by a pound.)I started the day with a 30 minutes kettlebell and weights workout, and then I did some bee work and farm chores, then spent the majority of the day working on accounts. During lunch hour when I felt tempted to eat, I walked to the library instead and found some interesting books to check out. When I got home, I went for a long, hot, fun bike ride with my youngest daughter, up a few hills, and then did some paddock work. I have kept up my energy with sugar-free mint hot chocolate and orange hot chocolate as well as sugar-free gum in 3 flavours. My husband cooked me spaghetti for dinner but I told him I was fasting and I would save it for later when I was done with my fast. I usually tell him ahead of time not to cook for me when I am fasting so he doesn't get annoyed at me for not eating his cooking. It's his Love Language! Another bonus of fasting is that it saves money on buying food as I have a very bad habit of buying my lunch instead of taking it with me. I hope to change that habit this year by preparing ahead. My mornings are soooo busy that I don't have time to prepare it in the morning so I will need to do it on the weekends. My weekends are sooo busy....LOL!

qbbc4ezx4fdj.gif
    Wendy
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Lagopus wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    So when you're on your desktop/laptop, and you scroll up to the top of the page and look to the right, you see the little grey bell, star and setting gear ... right?

Is there a number beside your little grey bell?

When you click the little grey bell and select "All notifications", do you get multiple pages of them?

Machka: Yep, I get notifications there. But they're not exactly intrusive and I don't let them bother me. Still, you must get LOTS if you're following this thread plus three challenge threads. I get several pages even though I'm only following this one.
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Penny had to google parseley root, have not seen it in the stores here or in Boise. I love parsnip and celeriac, so parseley root sounds intriguing, without the blood sauce that is ;)
    Machka love the fireworks/moon pic

Barbara (So. Ore.)
    And incidentally, that was me who posted the link to moonlight and fireworks, not Machka.

I think she may be referring to my photo of moonlight and fireworks ... :)
    Fireworks on New Year's Eve

39419790112_046e187727.jpg

Protea in our garden

39419786992_fc4f12dcb6_z.jpg

Machka in Oz

And I don't bookmark this thread so I don't get notifications from this one. Otherwise I would be overwhelmed with the things. Each one pops up on the screen for 20 seconds, right in the way of what I'm typing, and then slowly fades away. There are times when they are popping up every few minutes.

M in Oz
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Machka9
    Options
    Oh look MFP has created a blog about the topic I talked about last month! :)

Want to Crush Your Goals? Get SMART
    http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/want-to-crush-your-goals-get-smart/

This is good ...

"Are you someone who makes the same New Year’s resolution over and over again? It's time to stop that madness. Read on to discover six types of resolutions that are destined for failure. Learn what they are so that you can make smarter resolutions, ones you can actually keep. It’s going to be a great year!" ...
    https://www.verywell.com/new-years-resolutions-destined-to-fail-4120755

Personally, I don't do resolutions. I set goals, and I use the SMART criteria ...

Specific
    Measurable
    Attainable
    Relevant
    Timely

Now it doesn't always work. I don't reach every goal. I do like to put in one or two which might be a bit of a stretch. But I also include many which I know should be attainable.

These were my goals for 2017 (that's my blog here on MFP):
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Machka9/view/goals-for-2017-907626

Top of the list: Cycle more than 2016.

It is specific in the sense that I know how much I cycled in 2016, so I had a number to beat.
    It is measureable for the same reason.
    It is attainable. If I cycled a certain amount in 2016, I should be able to cycle more than that, even if it is just 1 km.
    It is relevant ... I love cycling!
    And it is timely because not only do I love cycling, but I also want to stay in shape as I get older. :)

BTW - I did attain that one. :)

I'll have a look through my 2017 goals later today and see how I did. Right now, I'm off for another bicycle ride. :grin:

Machka in Oz

M
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    sharon one step at a time, get yourself ready, but be safe. No one deserves to be emotionally abused, period.

• Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Ooops Machka! My bad! And your fireworks were much more spectacular than mine. It's just that so much time (and so many pages) had gone by after your moon and fireworks pic that it had slipped my mind! That's what you get for being so many hours ahead of UTC. :lol:

Going to bundle up and hit the road in my studded jogging shoes. 0°F out there (-18°C) but nice moon! Besides, it's still warmer outdoors than in my freezer.
    /Penny at the t07190.gif
  • Machka9
    Options
    Lagopus wrote: »
    Ooops Machka! My bad! And your fireworks were much more spectacular than mine. It's just that so much time (and so many pages) had gone by after your moon and fireworks pic that it had slipped my mind! That's what you get for being so many hours ahead of UTC. :lol:

Going to bundle up and hit the road in my studded jogging shoes. 0°F out there (-18°C) but nice moon! Besides, it's still warmer outdoors than in my freezer.
    /Penny at the t07190.gif

No worries! I liked yours too. :)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,216 Member
    Options
    So sorry for you USA and Canada folks with all your C-O-L-D weather. I've been looking at the charts and see it's right down to northern Florida.
    We have wind, but our power stayed on. Up north it's been very bad.
    I've not managed to do my editing today. >:):s What I will do later is look up some photos. I've had an idea for a cover and want to see if that works. My photo boxes, which are huge, are all in the wardrobe and require some major shifting.

My cleaner just rang and said she couldn't get to us today as her boyfriend put petrol in her diesel car!!!! She asked if she could come tomorrow as she didn’t want to let us down, "as you are so lovely." :D She is having someone come to drain it after it was towed home, so I hope there is no permanent damage.

My legs are feeling it today after all my extra exercise. Off on my 2nd c25k session this pm. My belt and earphones haven’t arrived yet, so I will have to carry my phone on loudspeaker and annoy everyone I pass!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • judefit18
    judefit18 Posts: 38 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    The cold persists, and tomorrow a prediction for significant snow! It'll wreak havoc on my first week back to work, but maybe we'll get out with the snowshoes; there's a very pretty park nearby that has hills viewing the ocean, pretty nice year round for hiking but with the snow it's particularly pretty...

This whole "discussion" board is new to me so I'm having trouble sorting out the threads of conversation, I'll keep at it! Nice to meet you all!!!

• Machka9
    Options
    Wednesday!

Worked all day ... I dash out the door at about 8:30 am and I wrapped up work at about 5:30 pm.

Went for a walk at lunch and picked up a few more tops for exercising. I wouldn't mind getting another pair or two of bottoms (knickers or long shorts). I've got 3 I like, but exercising more frequently means I'm doing laundry more frequently.

Then after work I went for my longest run yet!! :) I'm still a bit slow but that's OK! :)

Distance: 8.6 km
    Elevation: 116 m
    Moving Time: 1:03:32
    Elapsed Time 1:04:54
    Pace: 7:21/km

And then I did laundry ... 2/3 of which is exercise gear. :neutral:

Machka in Oz
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,054 Member
    Options
    Loving all the photoes!!!!!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,923 Member
    Options
    :) The weather here is balmy compared to what's going on along the rest of the US. It is right at freezing. I have all the needed clothing to stay warm except for my hands. I need flexibility to mange two leashes, a flashlight, and poop bags so I have to stay with lighter gloves. I heard from Penny a long time ago and from a book I just read that in Norway they say that there is no bad weather, just bad clothing. Today is my last day of walking with only the dogs and an audio book. My walking friend comes back this afternoon. We'll pick her up in town where the bus from the airport will bring her.

<3Sharon, sending hugs to you. You are entitled to be treated with more respect and kindness. I know you'll find the right steps to take to reach the life of serenity that you seek.

81824br5uyrfrsr.gif Barbie from beautiful NW Washington
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Yeah, Barbie. No bad weather, just bad clothing. Except my meteorologist husband insists that the saying should really be that there's no bad weather, just more or less interesting weather. :laugh:

Concerning light gloves, I absolutely swear by my thin, flexible merino wool gloves. The fabric in them is thinner than most tee-shirts, yet they keep my hands warm enough for jogging, even if they're wet. Only problem is they're a bit fragile, so I go through a pair a year. I don't know if you would be able to find them in your "tropical paradise". Up here every sporting goods store has a whole rack of them.
    /Penny, pushing polar outerwear at the t07190.gif