WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2018

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,173 Member
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Rori - NYKaren - Barbie - Judefit - I reviewed my 2017 food expenses. What a shocker to see how much we were spending on junk food and alcohol and food items that were spur of the moment. I try to shop the grocery sales but tend to go overboard and things get lost in the freezer. :( I think planning to reduce food spending by 10% is a good idea, along with eating out of that freezer!

I watched a documentary on FMTV this weekend about a couple decided to live off food stamp equivalent for a week. In their area, they would have qualified for $50 ($25 ea). They had a shopping list and stuck to it. It was hard and they were hungry by the end of the week and could no longer afford the variety of fruits and vegetables they loved - altho they did buy carrots and lettuce for salads as I recall. They even went dumpster diving for bread.

What I didn't realize was in some inner city areas, there aren't grocery stores which sell fresh quality fruits and vegetables or which aren't terribly expensive, so folks don't have much choice other than fast food places and convenience stores with processed foods and canned goods. It's often case of ramen noodles vs. a head of lettuce and a couple apples, so the ramen wins.

I lived like that for almost 2 years in the early days of my first marriage. Our income was well below the poverty line, and I usually had anywhere from $12-$24 for groceries each week. Fortunately we lived near my husband's parents, and we'd go there for Sunday dinner most Sundays and they'd give us a package of left overs to take home so that gave us at least 2 meals each week.

I was able to get flats of 36 pullet eggs (the really small ones) for a couple dollars, we'd buy day-old bread, bulk bags of plain pasta or rice when we could afford them, and the cheapest bologna we could find ... and that's what we had the rest of the week. I went to bed with gnawing hunger pains each night, and woke with them in the morning. I just got used to being hungry almost all the time.

People talk about craving chocolate and chips and things ... during that time, I craved fruit and cheese. But of course I couldn't afford any of it.

That is a time period I have no desire to return to!! It was horrible.

Since then, I have tended to be a bit of a food hoarder. I keep things like cake mixes and tins of fruit in the cupboard with no real intention of eating them ... I just like having them there, just in case. And it was years before I could touch an egg again!

But as for grocery shopping now, we've got it down so it's all pretty quick and efficient. We buy the same things each week ... except at Christmas. :wink:

When I first started with MFP I make several trips to the grocery stores and markets in my area simply to browse the shelves and see what they had available ... mainly looking for tasty, low-calorie food. And I discovered a reasonable selection, so those are the items we go for each week. :)

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    kevrit wrote: »
    Found my stats for as long as I’ve been on MFP. Not very impressed for the length of time I’ve been a member. I need to improve for my health!

Where did you find those stats?

I found the on the progress page down towards the bottom.

Roaming Rita

Do you have a link?
  • Machka9
    edited January 2018
    Options
    "Katla49 wrote: »
    Machka: I love the photo of the sailboats in the harbor. Thank you for sharing! :bigsmile:

The harbour here is absolutely full of yachts right now, with their flags flying! It is impressive to see. :)

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    Pip ~ When you used to have your food diary open, I peeked and it looked like you ate very few calories compared with all the calories you burned. I can see why you would not gain. Envy your perseverance! :)

Rye ~ So sorry you are having to walk to work in this cold. It was 13* here in my part of GA today and we are just not equipped to handle that. Hope your pipes do not freeze. That made me realize we need to call our renter and tell her to drip the faucets. :'(

Lisa ~ I understood what you meant when you said everything had reached the point that y'all could be your true selves.

Dr. Kay ~ On my way home from spending the NY's day with my BnL & SnL, I realized that my Snl's older sister lives in Jefferson.

One thing that I am happy about today is this ~ I deliberately did not weigh during the Christmas Season and found out that I had not gained any weight. I understand that I should aim to lose 25 lbs but my goal is just not to get any bigger.

Carol in GA

Right , I rarely ate the calories that I burned, some maybe but not much. Thought everyone was like that

No ... I always eat my exercise calories. That's fuel! And MFP is set up so that you're supposed to eat at least some of your exercise calories.

If I exercise just a little bit ... like, say, an hour's walk ... I'll eat about 50% of my exercise calories back.

If I exercise a moderate amount ... maybe a 3-hour bicycle ride, or an hour on the treadmill + 30 min rowing or something ... I might eat as much as 75% of my exercise calories back.

If I exercise a lot ... like cycling 6+ hours ... I eat about 95% of my exercise calories back.

When I was doing long rides, I tried to limit my intake to 50% for a while, and found I was a mess two days after. So I'd cycle a century (100 miles) in 8 hours on the Saturday, on Sunday I was OK but I would get some extra sleep and wasn't too active, but then on Monday I would go into the low blood sugar shakes, irritability, confusion, etc. all day long. So I had to up my intake to about 95% for those kind of rides, and I still lost weight quite quickly. :)

Running is a new thing for me and I'll have to figure out where it falls in the categories above. When I finish a 45 minute run, which is a pretty short workout time, I feel like I've done about a 4 or 5 hour bicycle ride. So I'll have to see what replenishment percentage works.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    So when you're on your desktop/laptop, and you scroll up to the top of the page and look to the right, you see the little grey bell, star and setting gear ... right?

Is there a number beside your little grey bell?

When you click the little grey bell and select "All notifications", do you get multiple pages of them?

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    langman22 wrote: »
    Barbie, I like your only 3 meals a day and wish I could do that. I have low blood sugar so should eat about 8 times a day. I have the hardest time in the evenings but try not to eat anything after 7. So a lot of planning to spread the calories out. I tend to eat the same things to make it easier.

I also have low blood sugar and I've found what works best for me is this:

10:30-11:00 am - small crackers & cheese (100 calories)

12:30 am - banana

2:00 pm - light lunch

3:30 pm - yogurt

4:45 pm - fruit

6:00 pm - 100 grams of cottage cheese, cucumber & radish slices (mixed into the cottage cheese) and sometimes also a few whole grain rye crackers with margarine

7:30-8:00 pm - dinner

9:30 pm - first snack

11:00 pm - second snack

1 am - off to bed! Which I really should be doing now since it is 1:24 am. Oops!

Machka in Oz

Wow, that is a long day! Husband and I are in bed by 9 pm!
    Becca

I'm up about 7:45 am and in bed between 1 and 1:30 am most days. Too much to do.

M in OZ

OK you are not a mere mortal, but insanely amazing! I am up at 8 and in bed at 9. I have hours like a grade schooler!!
    Becca

:)

I just don't know how to fit it all into any fewer hours.

When I complain that I can't seem to get around to working on my home office, I mean that it would require an hour's less sleep than I already get ... or a 25th hour added to my day.

The only way I do accomplish things is to break them into about 15 minute tasks ... I can squeeze 15 min of cupboard organising, or putting away the laundry, or tackling another aspect of the cycling clubs I'm involved with into my day here and there. But I have a lot of trouble devoting an hour to anything.

M in Oz
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,389 Member
    Options
    Volunteered at the Green Room, then went to the local library to put rack cards from the Newcomers there, then to Aldi. Home now, dinner ready and here

Vicki - Congratulations!!

Penny - gorgeous pics! You are so lucky

janetr - I don't like hard cooked egg yolks. Now soft cooked, no problem. I just don't like them hard cooked. I'm quite convinced that it's more of a texture thing than anything else.

Rye - I'm planning to go to the deep water class tomorrow. My way of thinking is that I'm probably burning a lot of calories just keeping myself warm. Well, that's what I'd prefer to think. Thanks for your feeling about the air fryer. I've been skeptical of them, now you've confirmed it for me.

KJ - I must say that your dd her hubby better watch out, when Joaquin gets older he's going to be a real heart breaker.

Wendy - you sound like me. It seems that every day I have to get out of the house, even if it's just to go to Lowe's Hardware. Vince constantly talks about how I'm always on the go. He's just the complete opposite, he's a homebody. Like today if I'd gotten home from Aldi's soon enough, I was thinking that I'd go to mahjongg. But that didn't happen

Joyce - Yea for no more boot

With this weather change, my sinuses have really been acting up. So I've been taking a decongestant. The only problem is that I can't sleep and I alternate between being hot and cold. Looks like I probably should take another decongestant.

Michele in NC
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Last night I cooked a steak for husband, opened a can of peas, and he did a baked potato. I let him eat first, and I ate what was left of his baked potato, plus I eat the skin, a couple of spoonfuls of peas, and sliced two slices of his steak, about 2 ounces). That is cooking for two people!

I always look in my pantry first, to see what meals I can make. Then I think of things I need to buy to make other meals. Never do I decide on a meal, if we have none of the ingredients. I have one of those cheap small cubby shelves that I put on my kitchen counter. I have one cubby for fruits, and beans, one for pastas, one for proteins, like tuna, and salmon tins. The cubbys you can see thru has our teas, and our beer glasses.

cujoxdyas5ow.jpg
    Becca
    Oregon
  • grogers511
    grogers511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    January 2018 Accountability
    Monday - Jan 1st

1. Carbs 75g max with no more than 25g per meal. [178g]
    ✔2. Fiber 30g. [32g]
    ✔3. Track in MFP. Complete the entry daily.
    4. Vegetables - eat a big veggie salad at least once a day.
    5. Exercise - log 30 Fitbit minutes
    6. No eating after 9pm. To prevent late night snacking & get a good 12 hour overnight fast.
    7. In bed by midnight.
    8. Declutter - daily mission.
    ✔9. Dress to shoes daily.

I'm clearly out of practice. Today hasn't been much better. I'm getting it together.

-- Ginger in Texas
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    ⛄️⛄️⛄️
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,351 Member
    Options
    Lagopus wrote: »
    Oooh! Take a look here and maybe you'll see what I mean about how magical moonlight is at the dead of winter darkness in the High Arctic. Check out the brooding mountains in the background!
    http://svalbardposten.no/nyheter/fredelig-feiring/19.9257
    This is an article from our local paper, Svalbardposten, describing our peaceful New Year's Eve festivities. If you read the whole article, you'll learn that the police broke up one rowdy party at 2 am, when the neighbors complained. But there were no arrests and that was all the police did that night.
    /Penny, always in love with the t07190.gif

This is so awesome! I loved seeing this. Thank you so much for sharing! It's just beautiful there.

Tracie in WI
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Michelle, I did decide to swim, but the pool room (not the pool water, the air) was so cold! They had maintenance look at it but said that the heater was doing its best. Considering it is floor to cieling windows on 3 sides, they are probably correct. It was 14 degrees here last night, and that is a lot colder than we are used to here in the DFW area. I ended up doing a lot of breaststroke instead of crawl so I could be totally submerged while swimming, lol.

I will not have time to swim until next week because I will be covering for a co-worker this week and working major hours. Not sad about that in this cold! (Although I understand it will be better this weekend.)

Machka I don’t eat back my exercise calories when trying to lose weight. Because my deficit from calorie restriction is barely there at 1200 cals I need to burn a bigger deficit or it would have taken me more than two years to lose the 40 pounds. Even so, it took 10 months to lose that. But I’m obviously not having your amazing all day workouts. I expect I’d be eating some exercise calories in your shoes too. I have 10 more to lose and am starting to transition to a more maintenance way of eating so I guess soon I will be eating exercise calories back - that is really hard to fathom - keeping a steady weight.

Ok, I’m off to bed

Rye
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Kelly, Joaquin is just adorable! So happy that you are enjoying your visit.
    Joyce, getting rid of that boot must be so nice! Congrats! Hope your elbow heals quickly.
    My day has been going well. I wanted to snack this afternoon, but I had a couple glasses of warm water with lemon juice in it and that seemed to help curb the cravings. Well, it kept my mouth busy and that's what I needed. lol Haven't tracked my dinner yet, need to get that done! Should be good tho, I was careful!!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for their concern about our power outage. We were without heat for 10 1/2 hours. I did leave the door open under the sink and will leave the water dripping. Still in the teèns tonight.
    Went to meet with trainer today for orientation at the Y. Have to go back To finish the rest of the machines.
    Re- sorry you won’t be able to join us for brunch tomorrow. I hope the roads aren’t too bad.
    Better get o bed
    SueBDew in TX
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,519 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Was a little disappointed to have taken only a half pound off in December... then I smacked myself. What? Are you kidding? Losing a half pound over the holidays??? Yay me ;}

Rita where did you find all time stats? Do you have premium? Mine only shows stats for 2017.
    Wendy thank you for the thought provoking article. One year we're warned to avoid putting our bods into starvation mode, the next we're encouraged to fast for longevity. Go figure.
    Becca love your note to self ;) and welcome to fellow Oregonian Terina. Between Martha in the south east, me in the south west and you in the north west we've about got the state covered... ;)
    Lanette <3 the be proud of every step... YESSS!
    Karen in VA beautiful moon pic!

Only to pg 5 but time to move ;)
    Mindful Hugs to all,
    desismileys_4280.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,519 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Whoever suggested micro-actions, thank YOU. With them and with Barbie's "Do it Now", feel I've accomplished more in the past 2 days than in the past 2 weeks, with less stress to boot.

Penny had to google parseley root, have not seen it in the stores here or in Boise. I love parsnip and celeriac, so parseley root sounds intriguing, without the blood sauce that is ;)
    Machka love the fireworks/moon pic
    janetr 367 days wow, you outdid drkatiebug as well as the calendar ;)
    Kelly GOOD grandma. Loved "How did she get out of my phone" ... bet he loves giving kisses in person even more!

Timer went off, with 2 pgs to go. Back tomorrow.

Mindful Hugs to all,
    desismileys_4280.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.