WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2018

Options

Replies

• ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Terry One of the many odd things about me – I love to shovel snow! I have been known to shovel my neighbors walks just for the fun of it.

When we lived in Chicago our landlord live downstairs from us and was in his late 70s. So I took over snow shoveling and my husband took over yard maintenance. Partially to help him out but also because we both genuinely enjoy those things.

OK I’m off to work. See y’all probably tomorrow
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Joyce: DH has blood pressure issues, too. He took his BP frequently during the day until he finally got his medications balanced. This was a long process. He has a BP cuff and reader that he ordered from ihealth. He used the information along with his doctor's guidance to adjust medicine doses. I hope that you'll be able to stay in close contact with your doctor until your issues are all sorted out. Good luck. :heart:

Allie: Keep photos and other records of things that need fixing. They might help when you are actually negotiating to buy your place. :wink:

Becca: I'm sipping mint tea, too. Mine is Celestial Seasonings. I like the tea and the cute packaging. :star:

I had a memory glitch today and couldn't remember my fitness center locker combination. I looked at it on the list and went in an opened it right up, but now I'm fussing about whether I'll remember next time. We'll see how things go tomorrow.

We are planning a trip to see our kids and grandkids. It involves a stop in illinois and another in Virginia. Our son is acting as our travel agent. He has all the flights set up, and all we need to do is pay for them. It is nice to be molly coddled now and then. :bigsmile:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"Normally I'm quite normal . . ." The Gods Must be Crazy

Toasting to our friendship with a large mug of Super Mint Stash tea! With the combination thing, just make it easy on yourself and write it on the back of one of their business cards and keep it in your wallet. Sometimes worrying about things that might happen can be stress enough, where your brain does that.
    Excited for you, on your upcoming trio to see your kids and grandkids!
    Becca
    Oregon
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    ryenday wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    First thing I did when I got home was to vacuum the whole area. I sucked up 2 or 3 more spiders I hadn't relocated last night. They looked like teenagers. I also got 2 or 3 more babies. Hopefully that's all of them. There was A LOT of cobweb and that's all gone now. :)

M in Oz

I admit to being kind to spiders, always taking the relocation option when possible. But I hope to never become so familiar with them that I can identify them as babies, teenagers and adults!

That is something I find amazing. :smiley:

I am kind of guessing based on size. The newborns are tiny dots you'd hardly even recognise as anything alive. They're easy to overlook. Then they get slightly bigger and you can identify the little legs and see them crawling up and down the wall, but you'd probably still think "what on earth is that?" ... I'm guessing that's the toddler phase. The little ones in my bedroom were slightly larger than that when I first noticed them, and identifiable as a "tiny spider" ... probably at the age they're about ready to start school. :grin:

Then they seem to grow remarkably quickly! The "teenagers" were about 1/3 the size of the mom. Dad is likely smaller, but mom was huge ... one of the biggest pholcus phalangioides I've seen. Her body was a decent size but from the tip of one leg to the tip of the next on the other side was getting on for 4 inches. Dad may have been the carcass on the floor which I vacuumed up. I'm not sure if mom eats dad or not.

Some people want to get rid of all the spiders, but a lot of people (like me) like to keep these around because they help to keep other pests down. So we've got a pholcus phalangioides in each room and I really don't mind them ... I just don't want an entire family in my bedroom where I'm sleeping, and specifically ... not on the bed!!

M in Oz

Oh see I know those spiders!! The body isn't really intimidating. We used to have a bit of a ecosystem going at our home in Vacaville CA. We had the gecko lizards that lived in the wall of our garage, and sunroom. The boys sleeping room had one spider in the upper corner of their closet, and one spider below their sink by a corner baseboard. His name was Bob. I kept track of every bug, sometimes their webs would get big enough where I yelled *Really??? " and would knock them down to a more manageable size. The pest control companies would knock on my door asking if they needed our service and I would tell them Mother Nature's got it covered! If I sprayed, I would've pissed off one layer or another! My son found a baby gecko lizard in their shower which he gently removed.
    Becca
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Allie, my parents pre-planned and it was the best gift ever for me! I am an only child and it would have been overwhelming. Mom went first, so I did have Dad there for help, although he was a bit of a wreck, but he was there. When Dad went, I already sort of knew the drill, so it was a bit easier. DH and I pre-planned and pre-paid everything so our kids don't have to deal with it either. As someone once said to me "It's the last gift we give to our kids". So true.
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Machka, I had to google the spider name and when I saw it, I went "okay, maybe in some rooms, but definitely NOT the bedroom!!"
    Heather, Hugs! I don't know your story, but kind of figured out the basics.
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    "DH and I pre-planned and pre-paid everything so our kids don't have to deal with it either. As someone once said to me "It's the last gift we give to our kids". So true."

That sentence makes so much sense Evie! I have been researching donating my body to science. They come get you, they cremate you after, and send what's left back you your family. They only have offices in certain areas so like I said, I need to do my homework.
    Becca
    Oregon
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,347 Member
    Options
    Played mahjongg, didn't maj but that's OK. They usually go out to lunch afterwards and I really wasn't keen on going to lunch so I was glad that I had a good excuse -- Vince needed me to help take down some of the ornaments off the trees. Came home and took some of the ornaments off the tree.

Welcome everyone new!

M - boy, there's a lot of foods that doesn't sit well with you. What about those jello cups? They have the vanilla pudding in the individual servings.

loumoon - I certainly count shivering as burning calories keeping my body warm. It's probably not a lot of calories, but every little bit helps

Barbara - I say you should add time to that timer!!!

All these pictures and talk of spiders reminds me of Halloween....lol

KJ - welcome back! Congrats on not gaining. That's so hard to do.

Talk about a mystery. This year I put some strung popcorn that we didn't use downstairs. I went to look for it this morning and the bag was completely empty, but the 2 safety pins that I used were attached to the bag. Vince didn't take it out. There wasn't a hole in the bag so a mouse didn't get in (besides, even the string was gone). I don't know what happened to it.

With this talk about soup, I'm thinking that I might make some today if I have the ingredients in the house.

Terry - spreadsheet, that reminds me that I want to make a spreadsheet of the DVD's that I have

Allie - I'd never think worse of you. You have such a big heart, it's great that you're sharing it. I know you miss the dogs so now you have one of your own to love. He's so lucky

Terry - can you bring a blanket with you to work?

Rye - when you took over the shoveling/yard work, were you compensated?

Michele in NC
    who is off to make that spreadsheet
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    "DH and I pre-planned and pre-paid everything so our kids don't have to deal with it either. As someone once said to me "It's the last gift we give to our kids". So true."

That sentence makes so much sense Evie! I have been researching donating my body to science. They come get you, they cremate you after, and send what's left back you your family. They only have offices in certain areas so like I said, I need to do my homework.
    Becca
    Oregon

Becca - several years ago, my neighbor's husband died of Alzheimers, at home. When he passed, a hospice nurse came (or maybe she was already there) and called the "body snatchers" who came up from Portland within about 8 hours and picked him up. His cremains were sent back to my neighbor in a month or two as I recall. We are considering doing the same. o:)

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    My grandmother (on my Mom's side) and my Uncle's wife (on my Dad's side) both donated their bodies to science. In both cases their cremains were returned about 12 months later. The only down side (for me) was in my grandmother's case, we had to go through the memorial service when she died and then a year later rip the band-aid off our grief when we had a graveside service to inter her cremains next to my grandfather. I didn't live close by so I didn't attend my Uncle's wife's graveside.

Okie
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Kelly Ha! Bombogenesis song lyrics...my brain is going to work overtime on that one. Could be to the tune of Frère Jacques or perhaps to Plop Plop Fizz Fizz...NYKaren, any ideas on bombogenesis tunes? (Would be really funny if it was to a classical tune.)

Heather Hauntingly beautiful photo. It deeply saddens me that an otherwise wonderful man betrayed your trust & robbed you of your innocence. So murky, those waters.

On a lighter note, Burn's Night sounds positively horrid, LOL! Haggis. yucky yucky desismileys_6968.gif

Karen in Virginia
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Another frigid evening here. I think it is 17 and feels like 5. Well at least we are above 0 and I am inside a nice warm house with my pick f 2 cats to be on my lap. Sometimes they both try to be on my lap at the same time but it doesn't work out.

Blood pressure is still to high. Bedtime really raises it, not sure why. I am to call the office Mnday and give an update. The blood pressure cuff I bought has an app that you sync your cuff to your phone! So now. Don't have to write down all these readings when I see him on the 10th. I just give him my phone!!!!!!! I just wish there was a place I could make notes such as what medicine I took. I think I am going to run out of the medicine he ordered while. Was in the hosptial for me to take 4 times a day for reading greater than 150. My husband is gon to flip.

I can't imagine having that many allergies or tolerances to food. My body loves food, any kind of food.

I guess that is an early good night from me, Joyce, Indiana
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Good morning, lovlies!

Lanette The first muffin in a cup recipes I saw used the microwave. Finally found this, how much ground flaxseed/coconut flour do you use? https://elanaspantry.com/ratio-rally-quick-breads-almond-flour-muffins/
    Machka spiders in bed? Eeeeuuuuuwww! Yes, time to put out the preventative scents. DoTerra's TerraShield (Ylang Ylang Flower, Nootka Wood, Cedarwood, Catnip, Lemon Eucalyptus, Litsea, Arborvitae, Vanilla Bean) on our sheets seems to help. Have no idea what Nootka or Litsea are ;} but maybe you have some cedar and eucalyptus essential oil handy?

I use eucalyptus in there regularly for dust mites, so I was a bit surprised to read that it was supposed to ward off spiders. It is almost as though they like it. But then again, maybe Australian spiders are used to eucalyptus. :grin:

M in Oz