Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    ryenday wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    First thing I did when I got home was to vacuum the whole area. I sucked up 2 or 3 more spiders I hadn't relocated last night. They looked like teenagers. I also got 2 or 3 more babies. Hopefully that's all of them. There was A LOT of cobweb and that's all gone now. :)

M in Oz

I admit to being kind to spiders, always taking the relocation option when possible. But I hope to never become so familiar with them that I can identify them as babies, teenagers and adults!

That is something I find amazing. :smiley:

I am kind of guessing based on size. The newborns are tiny dots you'd hardly even recognise as anything alive. They're easy to overlook. Then they get slightly bigger and you can identify the little legs and see them crawling up and down the wall, but you'd probably still think "what on earth is that?" ... I'm guessing that's the toddler phase. The little ones in my bedroom were slightly larger than that when I first noticed them, and identifiable as a "tiny spider" ... probably at the age they're about ready to start school. :grin:

Then they seem to grow remarkably quickly! The "teenagers" were about 1/3 the size of the mom. Dad is likely smaller, but mom was huge ... one of the biggest pholcus phalangioides I've seen. Her body was a decent size but from the tip of one leg to the tip of the next on the other side was getting on for 4 inches. Dad may have been the carcass on the floor which I vacuumed up. I'm not sure if mom eats dad or not.

Some people want to get rid of all the spiders, but a lot of people (like me) like to keep these around because they help to keep other pests down. So we've got a pholcus phalangioides in each room and I really don't mind them ... I just don't want an entire family in my bedroom where I'm sleeping, and specifically ... not on the bed!!

M in Oz

Oh see I know those spiders!! The body isn't really intimidating. We used to have a bit of a ecosystem going at our home in Vacaville CA. We had the gecko lizards that lived in the wall of our garage, and sunroom. The boys sleeping room had one spider in the upper corner of their closet, and one spider below their sink by a corner baseboard. His name was Bob. I kept track of every bug, sometimes their webs would get big enough where I yelled *Really??? " and would knock them down to a more manageable size. The pest control companies would knock on my door asking if they needed our service and I would tell them Mother Nature's got it covered! If I sprayed, I would've pissed off one layer or another! My son found a baby gecko lizard in their shower which he gently removed.
    Becca

We have the little lizards too. Last year, one lost its tail, but each day a bit of it grew until it was all back again.

M in Oz
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,380 Member
    Options
    Heather - there are such neat Burns Night traditions

Got a lot of the ornaments off 2 of the trees. Actually, the one small tree is already boxed up. How sad!

While making the spreadsheet of the DVD's that I own, I came across a couple that I have two copies of. If anyone wants one, let me know (PM me) and you can have it. One of them is Stephanie Vitorino's Body Target, Ultimate Weight Training Cardio workout with Terry Simpson, Gay Gasper Cardio Metabolic Interval (this one is for the rebounder -- mini trampoline), and Strong Body Ageless Body.

I also have Kathy Smith's Lift Weights to Lose Weights. For this one, I only ask for the cost of the postage which is usually less than $3.

One other thing that I have is a CD called "Fit in Six" for the Wii. I don't have the WiiU (or whatever it's called). There are multiple workouts on this CD, all different lengths of time covering cardio, balance, upper body strength, lower body strength, core strength and flexibility. This one I'd just give to someone.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

Michele in NC
  • Machka9
    edited January 2018
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    M - boy, there's a lot of foods that doesn't sit well with you. What about those jello cups? They have the vanilla pudding in the individual servings.

Yeah ... I spent years wondering why I felt so bad, but food allergies and intolerances were never considered until finally when I was in my early 20s a doctor sent me to an allergist and I went through a bunch of testing, including the elimination diet (lost 20 lbs on that!), but I finally had a list of intolerances: milk, peanuts & peas, tree nuts, soy, citrus fruit, strawberries, and peppers. I also had two allergies: tobacco, especially in the form of cigarette smoke, and canola, especially the flower. More recently we've added dust mites to the list.

With the intolerance ones, I can eat a bit ... but then all of a sudden, that's it, no more. For example, I love pineapple, and this week I went a bit overboard with it. I ate a whole pineapple over 4 days. Now I've got a rash all around my mouth. I should have known better!!

With the peanuts one, my mother gave us all a bowl of peanuts each Sunday after church. She always did up a big steak dinner on Sundays, and it took some time to prepare, so the bowl of peanuts was meant to keep us from bothering her with "when's dinner". :) Every Sunday, almost immediately after dinner (1-2 hours after eating the peanuts), I would be in such abdominal agony ... just doubled over in pain. My mother was a nurse, so she had me checked for crohn's disease and all sorts, but nothing ever came of it. As I got older, they started to assume IBS or something. As an adult, I continued the tradition of a bowl of peanuts on Sundays too. Then, as I mentioned, I went for the allergy testing ... and stopped eating peanuts, peanut butter, and peas ... and all was well!! :)

The one problem is that I have trouble meeting my protein requirements. I'm not fond of meat/seafood and I have to be so careful with peanuts, nuts, and dairy. That doesn't leave much in the way of protein ... so I am consistently under.

I almost wonder, sometimes, if the allergy isn't to these foods themselves, but to protein in general.

evie1958 wrote: »
    Machka, have you tried lactaid treated milk? I have some lactose intolerance and can't use regular milk much at all, but I found, and use, the lactaid treated stuff quite successfully. That won't help with gallbladder issues or nut allergies, but it might help you have cereal again.

I don't eat cereal much anyway ... too high in calories! But if I do want some, I go with almond milk. I've tried a bunch of different ones, but like the low calorie content and flavour of almond milk. It is related to tree nuts, of course, but I seem to be able to handle the small quantities I use all right.

BTW - speaking of cereal, it was one of the "logging shocks" for me. I was surprised by how many calories were in nuts, pears, mangoes, and cereal. A serving of cereal is 45 grams, which for me is a dusting on the bottom of the bowl. If I eat cereal, I eat somewhere up around 5 or 6 servings in one go! So I don't eat it very often.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    We are going to have our usual Burn's Night on the 25th Jan. Actually it's my favourite entertaining occasion of the year, because all you have to do is warm up a bought haggis and make some mashed potatoes and mashed rutabaga - (tatties and neeps) I have taken to making a whisky sauce as well. We do all the ritual of "piping in the haggis" with some bagpipe music and reciting the "Ode to the Haggis" and plunging the dagger into it. We all wear stupid tartan hats (Wee Jimmy hats with ginger hair)and have a tartan runner on the table etc. None of us are Scottish! :D My brother and his wife are coming and DH's cricket friend and his wife. It is traditional to toast the haggis with whisky, of which we have a choice of eight, but my brother and his wife are on a Dry January!!! :sad: Oh well, we will still have a great time. I hope we will play my new 5 Second Rule game. :D
    The day after I am up to London for the SingalongaSoundofMusic. So I mustn't have too much whisky!

Much love, Heather UK xxxxxxx

Burn's night ... I haven't heard of this one. Tell us more about what it celebrates. :)

M in Oz

• suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Marking my spot.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,650 Member
    Options
    :)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,666 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym- 8.28min, 140mhr, 10.5amph. 1.4mi= 85c
    apple watch- 63c
    TREADMILL, walk/slow jog- 50min, 5incl, 120ahr, 150mhr, 3.5-6.0sp, 3.36mi = 388c
    Apple watch- 407c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 5.58min, 14.4amph, 133mhr, 1.4mi= 72c
    apple watch- 47c
    RIDE BIKE PUY 2 SUMN STA- 16.11min, 148mhr, 11.2amph, 3mi= 170c
    apple watch- 124c
    jog sta 2 wk- 5.38min, 154mhr, 10.12min mi, .5mi= 77c
    apple watch- 60c
    jog wk 2 sta- 4.39min, 149mhr, .4mi= 60c
    apple watch- 50c
    bike ride dome 2 hm- 17.58min, 8.2amph, 155mhr, 2.4mi = 195c
    apple watch- 148c

total cal 1047
  • clowe1028
    clowe1028 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Kelly and Sue, I really enjoyed meeting you and the lovely brunch. Joaquin is adorable and so sweet to hold and listen to his chatter.

Sue, I did notice that you were not behind me. I did miss a turn and had to back track a bit. Glad you found your way.

Kelly, glad you made it home ok. I was thinking of you when the news was reporting on the delayed and cancelled flights due to all the snow.

Today the weather was great sunny and in the low 60’s. This afternoon I picked up the grand kids and took them to a local park with a great playground. Afterwards, we stopped for gelato. Grandson said it was better than ice cream and he wanted another serving. I actually told him no, but said we would come back soon.

Cathy, Arlington, TX
  • Machka9
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    I heard a pod cast from a food program about resolutions, and they twisted it to which food would you eat MORE of in 2018 and why. This appealed to me, and listening to the things they came up with was interesting. I almost never make resolutions, but I found myself thinking about this and came up with one of my own, So in 2018 my goal is to eat more from the grocery store, and the garden – similar to other goals of mine, but with a more positive twist… so less low end restaurant junk, and make the occasional restaurant meal more special.

Yeah, I don't like "resolutions" that involve NOT doing things.

That's why I prefer to look at the year ahead with a collection of goals ... things I want to do, things I will do, things I can work toward doing, things I can accomplish. :) For me, my chances of success increase monumentally when I'm working toward things I want to do. :)

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Really weird day out there. It's +30C but looks like it is going to storm any minute.

And very gusty wind. It's as calm as can be right now, but about 2 minutes ago, it was blowing a gale. And probably will blow a gale again in a minute. Oh, there it goes ... windy again.

Plus the sky is so threatening and has been all day. Just not sure about going for a ride yet. I've been for a short walk to get some stuff from the grocery store and need to clean my kitchen and get dinner and dessert ready, so I'll do that next ... and then maybe things will have settled and I can go for a ride.

A helicopter went over and there's the faint smell of smoke in the air. Two bad signs right now. Ah, just checked Facebook ... and there's a fire just south of us. Not far away.

M in Oz
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,380 Member
    Options
    katla - when I'm working out someplace other than home, I usually leave my pocketbook in my trunk which is locked and I've disabled the feature where you can open the trunk with a lever in the car.

Michele in NC