January 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    fe45tv wrote: »
    Hey everyone, i'm a bit late but I'm glad there is a community of motivated runners i can rely on. I've allowed myself to catch the freshman 30 and I need to do better like the rest of you here.
    Goal: 800 miles by 2019
    If any pros or long time runners out there think I'm aiming to high for my first goal please let me know. Thanks!!

800 miles in 2018 is 66 a month. That's a doable goal, depending on your normal mileage and how you react to increasing mileage. how much are you running now?
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @7Lenny7- Whew! That must have made your heart rate spike! Glad you and Kody are both okay though and glad you have a well trained dog. Stella would likely have been toast. :/
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I ran cross country previously and I ran about 4-5 miles a day then. Im at 2 miles a day now and I'm trying to get back to that pace.

2 miles a day is 14 a week or 728 a year - but let's be honest, life happens and there is a very high likelihood of you failing to run 365 days without missing some.

Focus on a monthly goal for now. Smaller bites. :smiley: Say 40 miles a month? If you rock that, then go to 50, and so on. Starting with a yearly goal can be daunting. So start small and build.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    I ran cross country previously and I ran about 4-5 miles a day then. Im at 2 miles a day now and I'm trying to get back to that pace.

Like @PastorVincent said, start small, with a monthly goal of like 40. If that goes well, build from there. I went from a goal of 50 in March 2016 (ran 65) to 80+ in April, so, depending on how you adapt, you can build fairly quickly. That said, start low and build, just see how it goes.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    1/1 5.9miles
    1/2 5miles
    1/3 13.1miles!
    1/4 5miles
    1/5 8.4miles
    1/6 4miles
    1/7 rest
    1/8 6.67miles
    1/9 5miles
    1/10 6miles

6 very slow miles across snow, ice, and slush. It was hard keeping my footing and my feet got soaked! I was not able to get any pace going so I barely broke a sweat.

The good news is it got into the 50ies with lots of sun so hopefully the sidewalks will be in much better condition for tomorrow’s long run.
    you were running in the type of stuff I hate running in. Snow/ice/slush makes a nasty combination. Nice running.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    01/01/2018 - 3.0 miles @ 9:15
    01/02/2018 - 6.5 MPH and 4% Grade for 1 hour
    01/03/2018 - 6.5 MPH For 8 Miles at 4% grade
    01/04/2018 - 6.7 MPH For 8 Miles at 4% grade
    01/05/2018 - 6.8 MPH For 8 Miles at 4% grade
    01/06/2018 - Rest
    01/07/2018 - Rest - Family Time
    01/07/2018 - 7.0 MPH for 7 miles at 4% grade
    01/08/2018 - 10 miles @ 8:58 pace
    01/09/2018 - *grumble grumble meetings*

Big Hairy Audacious Goal: Sub 4 hours in Pittsburgh 2018!

Official Marathon PR: 4:11:28

Next Races (more as I find them):

03/17/18 - Shamrock Shuffle Half Marathon
    05/06/18 - Pittsburgh Marathon - aiming for sub four hours.
    05/12/18 - Glacier Ridge 50k Trail Ultra (I must hate myself)

2020 - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)

Stuck in meetings, no run today.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    @7lenny7 I'm so glad you're okay! I'm not saying this is a big part of why I mostly run inside on treadmills, but I'm less likely to get hit by a car inside planet fitness.

Running inside Planet Fitness will greatly reduce your risks but won't eliminate them entirely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8i4GfFP9-0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R193YVWCKds

Holy cow! That happened in my neck of the woods!!

• rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 — close call, glad nobody got physically hurt! I’m not often running in the dark but still have to be cautious in the daylight especially downtown where there are a lot of blind corners.

So last week I finally got some new shoes. Up to this point I’ve been running in ASICS, 1st pair GT1000s and the next 2 pair Kayano 23s that between the 2 of them took me thru 2017. All had been purchased at a regular shoe store that I felt they fit well at a size 10.5...normal shoe is 10. I suffered thru the year with the runners black toenail on my 2nd toes. Anyway, I decided this time I should have someone at the local running store fit me in a shoe properly. Ended up with Brooks Adrenaline GT18s in a size 11.5. I’ve got 4 runs of 5,6,3,6 in them and while I’m not doing cartwheels over them, they have felt fine and not noticing any issues with calves, IT band, or hip flexor. If there would be any issue, would it have shown up by now?

Also, I just saw that Garmin is releasing a new FR645 watch that has music capabilities. I’m not sure that I’m ready to fork over $450 yet, but it does look appealing from the DC Rainmaker preview.

Tomorrow’s weather my force me to take my 1st treadmill run...only 3 miles though, so I think I can trudge thru the boredom...
  • Luxyp
    Luxyp Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Completed 10 miles of target 100 Miles
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    I track on Strava and just note which pair I used. Strava does all the tracking. Remember, rotating shoes makes a difference. There's a reason I have 6 pair of road and 4 pair of trail. Though I expect to get closer to 1000 miles from trail shies, as it's less impact.

Yea, but then I have to edit every run and add the shoes right? There is little chance of me remembering to do that long-term.

Strava sets a default pair of shoes and adds them to every run; you have to edit to change them. The default pair seems like a good thing for runners who only use one pair at a time. I rotate, and inevitably I'll forget to change one run or another, and the Strava totals won't be right. And I haven't figured out a way to go back and find my shoe entry errors that is reasonably time efficient.

Garmin Connect lets me have no shoes attached as a default, which eliminates the false high distance on a default pair; but I can still forget to attach gear to the run and make the Garmin Connect shoe totals wrong. Finding runs with no shoes attached might be easier in Garmin Connect, but I haven't worked very hard at finding an efficient way to do so.

Fortunately, I was tracking shoe mileage in a spreadsheet from before I ever had Garmin or Strava. That's how I know I always mess up the shoe entry in Garmin and Strava; but hopefully some day I'll be good enough to let the spreadsheet go.