Is it appropriate for my boyfriend to ask me to pay him to live with him?

Options

Replies

• odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Have you considered you’re not taking it far enough and he needs to be making monthly installments on a payment plan to you for having worried you like this?

Absolutely he should.
  • liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    Yes and maybe sue him for mental abuse and dispair.
  • poetic_cell
    poetic_cell Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    silkmouse wrote: »
    Bottom line I just finished talking with my boyfriend and I told him point blank that I am not giving him a cent if he wants me to live with him. I also told him that if we get married I will not pay for food or anything else because he should take care of me and he said that he prefers it that way. I also told him that I am willing to clean and cook sometimes but he can't count on it. Right now we are still hanging out so I will get back to you guys later.

"...and they lived happily ever after"
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Bottom line I just finished talking with my boyfriend and I told him point blank that I am not giving him a cent if he wants me to live with him. I also told him that if we get married I will not pay for food or anything else because he should take care of me and he said that he prefers it that way. I also told him that I am willing to clean and cook sometimes but he can't count on it. Right now we are still hanging out so I will get back to you guys later.

I have so many questions.. :grumble:
  • WhisperingNighthawk
    WhisperingNighthawk Posts: 138 Member
    Options

Bottomline: If you are having issues after ONLY three weeks, you will always have issues. Count in it!
  • eccomi_qui
    eccomi_qui Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    odusgolp wrote: »
    eccomi_qui wrote: »

You’re my dream girl

original.gif

If this was a movie about shades of grey it would be a good thing!
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Your father took care of your mother...that's a very traditional model. And I won't say that invalid. For some couples that works.

What your partner is putting forward is a typical modern set up: both partners contributing to the economic well-being of the household.

What you want to do is the expectation that you lived--that the man takes care of the economics of the whole family. If that's the case, you need to find a man who is willing to do that. The two of you are working on way different modes of expectations.

The traditional model is not as common as it was a few generations ago. One reason is purely economic: wages in the USA have been relatively stagnant since the 1970s. Also, women now go into adulthood with the expectation of having a career and therefore wage earning capacity.

• pudgy1977
    pudgy1977 Posts: 13,499 Member
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    Your father took care of your mother...that's a very traditional model. And I won't say that invalid. For some couples that works.

What your partner is putting forward is a typical modern set up: both partners contributing to the economic well-being of the household.

What you want to do is the expectation that you lived--that the man takes care of the economics of the whole family. If that's the case, you need to find a man who is willing to do that. The two of you are working on way different modes of expectations.

The traditional model is not as common as it was a few generations ago. One reason is purely economic: wages in the USA have been relatively stagnant since the 1970s. Also, women now go into adulthood with the expectation of having a career and therefore wage earning capacity.

Oh...and the thought that women aren't smart enough or capable enough to work has all but gone away as well. Thank the Lord I do not need or want someone to take care of me. This is all over the top pure non-sense
  • elizarizo
    elizarizo Posts: 489 Member
    Options

This made me roll my eyes

GET IT TOGETHER!!
  • liftorgohome
    Options
  • eccomi_qui
    Options
    This is my first time coming to these forums, and I gotta say... I am not disappointed.

Way to stay positive
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    This is my first time coming to these forums, and I gotta say... I am not disappointed.

You haven't seen nothing yet! Stick around. :):)
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options

Does he have a brother?
    I wanna be lazy and contribute nothing to a relationship and maybe cook and clean here and there.
  • liftorgohome
    Options
    Wait until she reads the poo thread. :s
  • rlaurain
    rlaurain Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My husband and I pay each pay 1/2 our rent once we moved in together. I think it's fair. Both people use the place, the appliances, the electric, water, etc. If you have your own place and don't want to pay him to live in his, maybe suggest that he move in with you. Idk. Just ideas. I am cool with splitting costs with my husband since living is so expensive.
  • eccomi_qui
    Options
    rlaurain wrote: »
    My husband and I pay each pay 1/2 our rent once we moved in together. I think it's fair. Both people use the place, the appliances, the electric, water, etc. If you have your own place and don't want to pay him to live in his, maybe suggest that he move in with you. Idk. Just ideas. I am cool with splitting costs with my husband since living is so expensive.

What is wrong with you? You guys must be haute couture or something
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Wait until she reads the poo thread. :s

Whoa whoa whoa. I missed a poo thread?? Where... WHERE?
This discussion has been closed.