Less alcohol- January 2018- one day at a time

Options

Replies

• MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    I x-rayed my problem knee and I think I see something. I will find out on Monday if I need an MRI or anything else. If it stops me from working out for a while it's going to make this month much harder :/
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    My first big challenge is this weekend. We have a wedding reception at a brewery! Luckily beer isn’t my weakness - but it will still be weird to not drink at a wedding. My husband is thrilled I’m the DD since it’s a two hour drive from us. I’m actually curious about how I’ll feel and the conversations I’ll have without a buzz

My brother is a non-drinker (just never liked it) and does not enjoy being around people that are drinking. I think that's a big reason he doesn't have many friends and he doesn't stick around very long at family gatherings cause most of us like to get tipsy-drunk when we get together, lol.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Alcohol-free day for me yesterday again and feeling great every single day!

@MaryBethHempel You are doing amazing! I think you may have mentioned you are your hubby are going to be reading This Naked Mind together? Have you started the book yet? I finished it yesterday and it’s truly helpful for anyone wanting to abstain from any alcohol. I started out just wanting to moderate, but as each day passes I don’t envision drinking again. I’m feeling too good, both mentally and physically, without it.

Hi, No..neither of us has started. I was going to read it on my stationary bike and before bed, but have had some life interruptions and fell right asleep at night. I am really looking forward to reading it. I also purchased-
    " Blackout-Remembering The The Things I Drank To Forget".

I am feeling the same about drinking again. I'm feeling so much better, mentally and physically, also. I am much more productive and remember things better.

We make our own Red and White Wine and I have an opened full bottle in the refrigerator which has been sitting there for about 2 weeks. I have an unopened box of Chardonnay in the refrigerator and about 8 unopened bottles of Chardonnay that we made in the basement refrigerator also. Then we have around 90 bottles all corked of more red and white. I used to drink daily and even with it all around me, I don't even get tempted. I feel that if I have one glass, that I will just drink the bottle...so it is better to just avoid at this time. My husband keeps saying that he is going to cut down, but he hasn't yet.

Invite me over!!!! LOL! That is awesome that you make your own wine. Even better that you can abstain from it. I would be drinking the bottles as soon as I make it!!!
  • SanDiegofitmom
    SanDiegofitmom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    @kimkimcoleman do you have a night guard for your teeth? I used to get headaches too from grinding - mine helps a ton.
  • SanDiegofitmom
    Options
    I x-rayed my problem knee and I think I see something. I will find out on Monday if I need an MRI or anything else. If it stops me from working out for a while it's going to make this month much harder :/

Injuries are the worst. I broke my foot in several places a few years ago and it was horrible. Do you have access to a pool? That’s a workout that’s easy on the bones and joints.
  • SanDiegofitmom
    Options
    becky3695 wrote: »
    I had a glass last night.... Didn't even enjoy it :(
    I’ve done this so many times - don’t beat yourself up. You’ve got this.

• kimkimcoleman
    kimkimcoleman Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    @kimkimcoleman do you have a night guard for your teeth? I used to get headaches too from grinding - mine helps a ton.

Yep, I wear it every night, it protects my teeth but my jaw pain still gives me headaches unfortunately.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Well that was a disappointment. Got home yesterday and boyfriend and his youngest brother were already drinking and I had an itch driving home. So I caved and drank 6 Palm Bay Vodka Sodas- The first drink I was so disappointed in myself. So now I am at work with a sugar hangover but I made sure to pack a healthy lunch because I over eat when I am like this.

1/1-drank
    1/2-no-hungover (at work)- over ate
    1/3-no
    1/4-no
    1/5-drank
    1/6-no
    1/7-drank
    1/8 no
    1/9 no
    1/10 no
    1/11 drank

Did a percentage just for fun of it and came up with 36.4% bet you before I started this it was probably closer to 80%.
    Amazing job everyone else and love this thread so much help and motivation :smile:
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options

Injuries are the worst. I broke my foot in several places a few years ago and it was horrible. Do you have access to a pool? That’s a workout that’s easy on the bones and joints.

I injured it in 2012, the PA I work for thought it was just runners knee. So when it flares up I just back off a bit. I did start swimming for a few years but I just quit my gym to work out at home. I’m now thinking I tore something and it needs fixed. I’ve been really taking it slowly lately so when it flared up again yesterday from just barely running two slow miles (I usually run 3-5 miles fast) I thought I would xray it at work today. I want it fixed, I don’t want to just keep having to coddle it anymore. I will find out more on Monday when the more qualified person looks at my x-ray (that being said I took perfectly positioned x-rays on myself today, lol!).
  • SanDiegofitmom
    Options

I injured it in 2012, the PA I work for thought it was just runners knee. So when it flares up I just back off a bit. I did start swimming for a few years but I just quit my gym to work out at home. I’m now thinking I tore something and it needs fixed. I’ve been really taking it slowly lately so when it flared up again yesterday from just barely running two slow miles (I usually run 3-5 miles fast) I thought I would xray it at work today. I want it fixed, I don’t want to just keep having to coddle it anymore. I will find out more on Monday when the more qualified person looks at my x-ray (that being said I took perfectly positioned x-rays on myself today, lol!).

Ugh that sucks. I’m a runner too. When I ran a marathon my knee hasn’t been the same. I too back off when it flares and usually it’s fine. I can’t run more than a half marathon now though. I hope you get some answers. I need to get one of those rollers for my IT band
  • SanDiegofitmom
    Options

Yep, I wear it every night, it protects my teeth but my jaw pain still gives me headaches unfortunately.

Darn - no fun. Hope tonight is better!

• dbanks80
    Options
    Moxie42 wrote: »
    I let pool league get the best of me and I had 3 drinks. I guess that's better than the 4-5 I would usually have on a pool league night though, seeing as we're at a bar for 4+ hours. But why is this so hard??? The longest I've gone this month is only 2 days! I've stuck with my eating goals at least, and have been losing weight...but I horrible about the drinking. And the smoking. I was supposed to quit both but instead I've quit neither...

Girl you can do this!!!! Instead of staying at the bar for 4+ hours stay couple hours and leave.
  • MaryBethHempel
    MaryBethHempel Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »

@MaryBethHempel You are doing amazing! I think you may have mentioned you are your hubby are going to be reading This Naked Mind together? Have you started the book yet? I finished it yesterday and it’s truly helpful for anyone wanting to abstain from any alcohol. I started out just wanting to moderate, but as each day passes I don’t envision drinking again. I’m feeling too good, both mentally and physically, without it.

Hi, No..neither of us has started. I was going to read it on my stationary bike and before bed, but have had some life interruptions and fell right asleep at night. I am really looking forward to reading it. I also purchased-

I am feeling the same about drinking again. I'm feeling so much better, mentally and physically, also. I am much more productive and remember things better.

We make our own Red and White Wine and I have an opened full bottle in the refrigerator which has been sitting there for about 2 weeks. I have an unopened box of Chardonnay in the refrigerator and about 8 unopened bottles of Chardonnay that we made in the basement refrigerator also. Then we have around 90 bottles all corked of more red and white. I used to drink daily and even with it all around me, I don't even get tempted. I feel that if I have one glass, that I will just drink the bottle...so it is better to just avoid at this time. My husband keeps saying that he is going to cut down, but he hasn't yet.

Invite me over!!!! LOL! That is awesome that you make your own wine. Even better that you can abstain from it. I would be drinking the bottles as soon as I make it!!!

That is exactly what we did, well, my husband still does...We had to up the wine-making in order to keep up with our drinking...
  • slimbyjune18
    slimbyjune18 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    A second Friday night successfully navigated. I think it’s getting much much easier. Good luck to you all this weekend whichever way you’re doing this.
  • dbanks80
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »

That is exactly what we did, well, my husband still does...We had to up the wine-making in order to keep up with our drinking...

LOL!!
  • Alpha12
    Alpha12 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Good for you, Julie! You can do it. Take if from someone who succumbed to temptation last night - IT'S NOT WORTH IT for all the reasons you've listed as well as being dissapointed with oneself. Good luck!

No wine for me tonight. I'm starting over.