January 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    My plan was 5 miles last night, then I realized my son had a 2 hour basketball practice later in the evening so I though I'd go for 10. Our warm spell was over and it was -12F windchill. Normally that's not a problem but for some reason last night I was struggling. My legs weren't having it, my lungs weren't having it, and because I kept having to stop to check the map, my pace wasn't having it. I was getting the chills before my run was over..WTH! I ended up with 6.4 miles with 30 minutes left to go before practice was over. I guess I'll look at the positive and be happy it was 1.4 miles more than I originally planned.

w7j7qqok29ww.jpg

Awesome beer run.

Pure brilliance.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    1/1 5.9miles
    1/2 5miles
    1/3 13.1miles!
    1/4 5miles
    1/5 8.4miles
    1/6 4miles
    1/7 rest
    1/8 6.67miles
    1/9 5miles
    1/10 6miles
    1/11 13.1miles!
    1/12 8.09miles

A complete turn around in weather. Yesterday, snow and ice and slush. Today, 70 degrees and 95 percent of the snow has melted away.

I started out pretty slow because my legs felt tired from 13 miles yesterday. I got going and finished 6 miles then 8 strides.

The cold weather is returning Monday, but it is lovely right now!
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Wow, what a ...umm... KITTEN this guy is:

This Ultra Runner Won His Races by Hiding in a Port-A-Potty
    https://www.runnersworld.com/ultra-marathon/ultra-runner-hides-in-port-a-potty

The whole idea that people actually cheat at marathons/ultras is fascinating to me. (I may or may not have binge-read all of Derek's posts at marathoninvestigation.com when I first discovered it about a year ago.) I just don't get what having that medal would do for you, other than remembering how you cheated, every single time you look at the thing.

Me too. I'm an average runner and if the conditions are right, I can sometimes place in my age-group in local races. But the thought of cutting a corner to ensure a win, is just weird to me.

And I went on a binge-fest reading everything I could find about Kip Litton.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2012/08/06/marathon-man

I just got sucked down this rabbit hole. Holy cow!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    seanevan10 wrote: »

The whole idea that people actually cheat at marathons/ultras is fascinating to me. (I may or may not have binge-read all of Derek's posts at marathoninvestigation.com when I first discovered it about a year ago.) I just don't get what having that medal would do for you, other than remembering how you cheated, every single time you look at the thing.

Me too. I'm an average runner and if the conditions are right, I can sometimes place in my age-group in local races. But the thought of cutting a corner to ensure a win, is just weird to me.

Stunning isn't it? If you want to go down another rabbit hole, take a look at the site @polskagirl01 mentions up-thread - marathoninvestigation.com

Some of these people make Rosie Ruiz look like a complete amateur.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    1/1 = 6 miles
    1/2 = rest day
    1/3 = 7.5 miles
    1/4 = vinyasa yoga class
    1/5 = 7.5 miles
    1/6 = 13 miles - River Road Half Marathon
    1/7 = 6 miles
    1/8 = strength training at the gym
    1/9 = early PT appt for my foot/ankle
    1/10 = 8 miles
    1/11 = 6 miles
    1/12 = 9 miles

Ugh. This time of year is know as cedar fever season in Central Texas. It is allergy misery and my runs are becoming suck-fests. To give you and idea, here is a video of evil cedar trees exuding their misery all over the area right now. That's not smoke or fog blowing around - its pure cedar pollen. Just Ugh. I am going to have to start running with a mask or resort to the dreadmill if it does not let up soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEYcBnE-IPA

January Goal = 140 miles / total miles = 63
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options

Omg! That story is bananas! How did he do it and not get caught during the race?!

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic good luck!!! Sorry for the delay in Atlanta.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    Options

Stunning isn't it? If you want to go down another rabbit hole, take a look at the site @polskagirl01 mentions up-thread - marathoninvestigation.com

Some of these people make Rosie Ruiz look like a complete amateur.

I love marathon investigation. The things people will try to “win”. Crazy.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 I think you win for coldest temps! Was on a call with a colleague from Yellowknife earlier this week and you have them beat for lows...

As for me, it was -41C windchill this morning but they've sort of fixed the heat in the office areas at work so my hands aren't turning blue anymore. The lab is still pretty frosty so I'm avoiding it and doing paperwork.

Scheduled to do strength training tonight and then an outdoor run tomorrow once it warms up a bit. Schedule-wise I'll probably go out before lunch while it's still a bit nippy.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Decided against a rest day today. I just have too much energy--tired legs be damned. It was chilly out (19F/8F wind chill OR -7C/-13C wind chill), but sunny. The running was uneventful. Slow and steady at a 10:39 pace.

I ran my normal route from downtown to the river trails. Crossed the bridge over the river and ran the west trail. While I was out on the west trail, I noticed a news helicopter station itself right above the river and just hover there. Then I got back to the bridge and saw a cop car sitting on the road with its lights on and no cop inside. Hmm... Then comes the fire truck...then the ambulance. No idea what was going on--there were no wrecks, no obvious commotion--so I just continued my run back to the tower. Found out when I got back that, between my "out" and my "back" (a 15 minute time-frame), someone found a dead body under the bridge. It had been there a few days, meaning I ran past it at least 3 times and had no idea... My husband hates that I go out and run the river trails, especially during the winter when there are few runners out. Partly a safety thing for me, but he's always saying "you know you're going to find a body, right?". Well, not this time, but close.

1/02/18 - 1.75 miles + Step class
    1/04/18 - 3.50 miles + Step class
    1/05/18 - 5.75 miles
    1/08/18 - 2.00 miles + Power Pump class
    1/09/18 - 2.50 miles + Step class
    1/10/18 - 6.00 miles
    1/11/18 - 2.50 miles + Step class
    1/12/18 - 4.00 miles

Total: 28 miles / 60 mile goal

• ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 - Love it!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @ceciliaslater proof that you're a runner, not a jogger. If you were a jogger you would have found the body. Here's hoping the poor soul died of natural causes, at not by foul play.

• Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,712 Member
    Options
    Found out when I got back that, between my "out" and my "back" (a 15 minute time-frame), someone found a dead body under the bridge. It had been there a few days, meaning I ran past it at least 3 times and had no idea... My husband hates that I go out and run the river trails, especially during the winter when there are few runners out. Partly a safety thing for me, but he's always saying "you know you're going to find a body, right?". Well, not this time, but close.
    Yikes!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Decided against a rest day today. I just have too much energy--tired legs be damned. It was chilly out (19F/8F wind chill OR -7C/-13C wind chill), but sunny. The running was uneventful. Slow and steady at a 10:39 pace.

I ran my normal route from downtown to the river trails. Crossed the bridge over the river and ran the west trail. While I was out on the west trail, I noticed a news helicopter station itself right above the river and just hover there. Then I got back to the bridge and saw a cop car sitting on the road with its lights on and no cop inside. Hmm... Then comes the fire truck...then the ambulance. No idea what was going on--there were no wrecks, no obvious commotion--so I just continued my run back to the tower. Found out when I got back that, between my "out" and my "back" (a 15 minute time-frame), someone found a dead body under the bridge. It had been there a few days, meaning I ran past it at least 3 times and had no idea... My husband hates that I go out and run the river trails, especially during the winter when there are few runners out. Partly a safety thing for me, but he's always saying "you know you're going to find a body, right?". Well, not this time, but close.

1/05/18 - 5.75 miles
    1/10/18 - 6.00 miles
    1/12/18 - 4.00 miles

My husband says it's also too cold for bad guys to be out, so you're safe.

When Lorenzon Wright, the basketball player, was murdered, he was missing for weeks and turned up in a field near where we live, and I drove right past it several times during that time frame and noticed a huge flock of vultures. I said jokingly to my husband, thinking it was probably a deer or something, "I wonder who's dead back there." Well...

• seanevan10
    Options
    1/1 = 6 miles
    1/2 = rest day
    1/3 = 7.5 miles
    1/4 = vinyasa yoga class
    1/5 = 7.5 miles
    1/7 = 6 miles
    1/10 = 8 miles
    1/11 = 6 miles
    1/12 = 9 miles

Ugh. This time of year is know as cedar fever season in Central Texas. It is allergy misery and my runs are becoming suck-fests. To give you and idea, here is a video of evil cedar trees exuding their misery all over the area right now. That's not smoke or fog blowing around - its pure cedar pollen. Just Ugh. I am going to have to start running with a mask or resort to the dreadmill if it does not let up soon.

THIS ^^^ I'm just north of you and it is misery. Plus, it seems like everyone around me either has strep or the flu. Ackkkk!
  • seanevan10
    Options

1/05/18 - 5.75 miles
    1/10/18 - 6.00 miles
    1/12/18 - 4.00 miles

I'm glad you didn't find it actually. But man, close call! And I love it @skippygirlsmom !!!! Mine never match either!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,976 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    January goal: 75 miles

1/3 - 4.4 miles
    1/4 - 4.1 miles
    1/5 - 4.1 miles
    1/7 - 9.1 miles
    1/9 - 4.3 miles
    1/10 - 4.3 miles
    1/12 - 4.0 miles

34.3/75 miles completed

I switched my run from yesterday to today and I am really glad I did. Today's run was really good. It was cold, but not unbearable and there really wasn't any wind and it was a beautiful sunny day. Yesterday was cloudy, cold and 22 mph winds. After my run I took the dogs out for a little walk. They were so excited to see me getting ready for my run so I promised to take them when I got back. It really is a good way to cool down after a run. I should do it more often.

@ceciliaslater I'm so glad you are still a runner and not a jogger. I would definitely hate to find a body.

@skippygirlsmom It looks like I am safe most of the time.

exercise.png

• AmyOutOfControl
    Options
    1/1 = 6 miles
    1/2 = rest day
    1/3 = 7.5 miles
    1/4 = vinyasa yoga class
    1/5 = 7.5 miles
    1/7 = 6 miles
    1/10 = 8 miles
    1/11 = 6 miles
    1/12 = 9 miles

THIS ^^^ I'm just north of you and it is misery. Plus, it seems like everyone around me either has strep or the flu. Ackkkk!

@seanevan10 Exactly! We should start a Central Texas runners support group. A place for runners who deal with the two Texas seasons: Cedar fever season & Seventh level of hell (AKA "summer" heat) season.