Today I Learned...

Options

Replies

• eccomi_qui
    eccomi_qui Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    The Swiss Air Force doesn’t work on nights or weekends. In 2014, a hijacked Ethiopian Airlines flight headed to Switzerland was intercepted by French / Italian fighter jets as a result.
  • LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,952 Member
    Options
    That I need to find a kennel for Jessica Jones while I go on my trip this weekend.
  • LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,952 Member
    Options
    That I need to find a kennel for Jessica Jones while I go on my trip this weekend.

Hey welcome back :smile:

I only use the woo button. You have been woo'd
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    The academic literature on obesity frequently bifurcates into two poles: a realist pole that treats obesity as a biomedical fact, a health risk and an 'epidemic', and a second, constructionist pole that adopts a critical view of obesity as a moral panic driven by political interests and cultural values. Drawing on a wide range of literature from epidemiology, medical sociology, public health, political economy, cultural studies and popular journalism, this article maps out a realist-constructionist divide within academia and the public sphere, and examines the insights and limitations of these perspectives. After mapping the main 'silos' within obesity studies, we examine two key questions: (1) is the obesity epidemic based on medical fact or political interest, and (2) is obesity a disease or a social identity. Drawing from the metatheoretical principles of critical realism, we argue that obesity scholarship can be advanced by conceptualizing the obesity epidemic as a 'hybrid' construction that arises out of the interaction of biophysical, socio-economic and cultural forces. This analysis demonstrates the useful role of social theory integrating diverse analytic perspectives, and bringing clarity to a heated public debate that characteristically points the finger of blame at obese individuals.

Patterson, M., & Johnston, J. (2012). Theorizing the obesity epidemic: Health crisis, moral panic and emerging hybrids. Social Theory & Health, 10(3), 265-291. doi:http://dx.doi.org.unr.idm.oclc.org/10.1057/sth.2012.4

• Iscah13
    Iscah13 Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    One can ingest 128 packages of cocaine.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Iscah13 wrote: »
    One can ingest 128 packages of cocaine.

I read that as "I can ingest".

I was like woah girl, slow your roll!!!
  • WorkerDrone83
    WorkerDrone83 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Sexual innuendo is not allowed on MFP. Mind blown.
  • WorkerDrone83
    WorkerDrone83 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options

I missed the whole thread. Anything worth reading?

Meh. Pretty much the same 'ol. The OP did call people out for hijacking her thread, so that was unusual.
  • Deadman_Diggingup
    Deadman_Diggingup Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options

I missed the whole thread. Anything worth reading?

From what I saw, except for one Neanderthal, it was a clean and mature thread about maintaining a healthy sex life through relationships.... I don't see why it was ended.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    TIL That Snoopy is NASA's official safety mascot. Every astronaut since 1968 has worn a silver Snoopy pin into space; upon return, the astronauts present the pin as a special recognition to a civilian team member who helped keep them safe.

e1b7elmymcjs.jpg
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    TIL, the unconfirmed record for fastest moving manmade object is a manhole cover propelled by a nuclear detonation. A high-speed camera trained on the lid caught only one frame of it moving upward before it vanished—which means it was moving about 125,000 miles per hour.
  • grumpopuppo
    grumpopuppo Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    TIL that it's very important that, when restarting a medication, you go back to your starting dose no matter what the instructions on the *kitten* pill bottle say. And if you don't, get ready for a wild (and painful) ride.
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    TIL That Snoopy is NASA's official safety mascot. Every astronaut since 1968 has worn a silver Snoopy pin into space; upon return, the astronauts present the pin as a special recognition to a civilian team member who helped keep them safe.

e1b7elmymcjs.jpg

<3
  • THeADHDTurnip
    THeADHDTurnip Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    This one is pretty exciting. Today I learned that measuring 1 cup liquid has more volume than 1 cup dry.
    Exciting. Hey, I'm in my 30's so getting a new kitchen sink sponge can be pretty enthralling at times. :)
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Supposedly warnings and points go from old account to new account and affect you longer than a year.

Yes. If you are a reboot your warnings will come with you. A new name does not wipe the slate clean.

10 warnings in a year results in a ban. Several warnings reguardless of timing will bump you up to 3 pointers, which means if you get another warning within 2 weeks you are banned (5 pts gets you banned)