Today I Learned...

Options

Replies

• sw33tp3a1
    sw33tp3a1 Posts: 5,065 Member
    Options
    Supposedly warnings and points go from old account to new account and affect you longer than a year.

Yes. If you are a reboot your warnings will come with you. A new name does not wipe the slate clean.

10 warnings in a year results in a ban. Several warnings reguardless of timing will bump you up to 3 pointers, which means if you get another warning within 2 weeks you are banned (5 pts gets you banned)

TIL how mfps point system works. Good thing I'm such a good girl I don't have to worry about it o:);)
  • rednote49
    rednote49 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    If you eat waaaaay too much jello it gives you rainbow pee for at least a week. Hours at the emergency room freaking out the drs and nurses with neon orange, bright green, blood red and purple pee. It was something they hadn't seen before. Me, I thought I was dying :(
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    Today I sternly reminded myself (for the hundredth time) that no one actually cares as much about me as I would like, or as much as I care about them
  • empresssue
    empresssue Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    Actually reminded myself that you can’t fix stubborn or stupid. :(
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Today I sternly reminded myself (for the hundredth time) that no one actually cares as much about me as I would like, or as much as I care about them

This makes me sad :(
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options
    TIL many of us are considered "Reboots"

they'd never know if you didn't trip
  • empresssue
    empresssue Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    TIL that I’ve made a bigger positive impact than I thought. It’s nice to hear :)
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options

This makes me sad :(

It's part of being me. You'd think after 37 years I would be used to it
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    TIL: All mountains on Titan (a moon of Saturn) are named after locations from J.R.R Tolkien's Middle Earth.

https://planetarynames.wr.usgs.gov/SearchResults?target=TITAN&featureType=Mons, montes
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Today I learned I want Karl Spracklen's job.

In the public discourse of policy-makers and journalists, drinkers of (excessive) alcohol are portrayed either as irresponsible, immoral deviants or as gullible victims. In other words, the public discourse engenders a moral panic about alcohol-crazed individuals, who become what Cohen [1972. Folk devil and moral panics. London: Routledge] identifies as folk devils: the Other, abusing alcohol to create anti-social disorder. However, alcohol-drinking was, is and continues to be an everyday practice in the leisure lives of the majority of people in the UK. In this research article, I want to explore the serious leisure of whisky-tasting to provide a counter to the myth of the alcohol-drinker as folk devil, to try to construct a new public discourse of sensible drinking. I will draw on ethnographic work at whisky-tastings alongside interviews and analysis of on-line discourses. I show that participation in whisky-tasting events creates a safe space in which excessive amounts of alcohol are consumed, yet the norms of the particular habitus ensure that such drinking never leads to misbehaviour. In doing so, however, I will note that the respectability of whisky-drinking is associated with its masculine, white, privileged habitus – the folk devil becomes someone else, someone Other.

...The research in this article is partly reflective of my own ethnographic involvement in whisky-tastings over a period of two years, and my own position as a whisky enthusiast....

Notes on contributor

Karl Spracklen is a Professor of Leisure Studies at Leeds Metropolitan University. He is the Chair of the Leisure Studies Association and Co-Convenor of the British Sociological Association Alcohol Study Group. His book, Constructing Leisure (Palgrave, 2011), explores the history of and philosophy of leisure, including the importance of drinking and eating as leisure.

Spracklen, K. (2013). Respectable drinkers, sensible drinking, serious leisure: single-malt whisky enthusiasts and the moral panic of irresponsible Others. Contemporary Social Science, 8(1), 46-57.
  • beagletracks
    edited January 2018
    Options
    TIL that my original username on here is active and someone else has it.

YIKES! I just noticed a post from that account this morning and I thought it was you... Creepy. And not cool. UNFRIEND. Seems like a violation of privacy.

eta: not finding on my friend's list... maybe just saw a post in the forums or something.
  • Iscah13
    Iscah13 Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    TIL people ( mostly men I assume) poop in airport garbage bins.
  • beagletracks
    Options
    Iscah13 wrote: »
    TIL people ( mostly men I assume) poop in airport garbage bins.

I kind of want to know how you learned this.
  • Iscah13
    Iscah13 Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    ^ I’ve been watching BBC airline shows
  • beagletracks
    Options
    Iscah13 wrote: »
    ^ I’ve been watching BBC airline shows

Whew.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options
    Canadians have timbits
    Americans have dount holes

I think anyways
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL Walmart stocks up on strawberry Poptarts before a hurricane as it is a more popular prep item than bottled water.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    Today I learned how to tell you what day of the week any given date was/will be without looking it up and I’m dying to try it. But of course it won’t impress anyone if I do it over the internet. :grimace:
  • cee134
    edited January 2018
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    Today I learned how to tell you what day of the week any given date was/will be without looking it up and I’m dying to try it. But of course it won’t impress anyone if I do it over the internet. :grimace:

But what if I don't know the date, month, or year?