Less alcohol- January 2018- one day at a time

Options

Replies

• MaryBethHempel
    MaryBethHempel Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    NormInv wrote: »
    Day 15 - in the bag.....I have to admit that a drink has been on my mind more than i would like it to be....can I ever be in a state where I dont even think about it...maybe some day soon....reading up on all of your updates and how awesome you are doing, keep at it

I think it takes about 30-45 days for the desire of it to sort of dissipate, and to get used to not having it around. I would say it took me a good 90 days for my emotions to level out. But I drank an average of about 7 beers a night, probably with a whiskey nip in there, too. So I think I was going through some real brain chemical changes. But once you get there, you look back and wonder how you drank every night.

This thread has made me feel pretty good on making it to 7 months; it's a reminder of how tough it was in the beginning, and how I don't want to have to do that again in a couple years.

Wow, I am proud of you Laura!! I am on 2 weeks after 4 years of wine everyday. I have wine around though. We make it and have about 100 bottles in the basement. My hubby drinks every day, but over the last few days has stopped drinking before bed because he snores so bad when he does, and then I have to go into our guest room to sleep. He doesn't like me sleeping in the other room... :)
  • MaryBethHempel
    MaryBethHempel Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah...another thing that is REALLY helping me get into tea drinking is that we bought one of these ELECTRIC tea pots:

https://www.target.com/p/hamilton-beach-1-7-l-illuminated-glass-cordless-kettle-40865/-/A-15066824?sid=1806S&ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Appliances+Shopping_Local&adgroup=SC_Appliances&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=m&location=9028779&gclid=Cj0KCQiAv_HSBRCkARIsAGaSsrD-KJeOyLQPaDzke4rtKO-zwfng9ASrOLcMgs72AVy1Pr36Ile5gLQaAhFeEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

It makes tea (something kind of "meh" in my opinion up to this point) this comforting ritual...it is EASY (and safe with auto shut off)...and the blue light and bubbly sound kind of has this comforting effect on my brain like i am treating myself....sort of like when i uncork a bottle of wine.

Ive also bought many new types of tea to keep it more of a fun thing. Ive always like the "fortunes" on Yogi Tea.

Even my husband is joining in now. The most annoying wine i would drink was tgat LAST glass right before bed....like, a stupid waste of calories! So even on the nights ive had some wine i still finish with a comfort cup of tea now.

I'm going to buy two. Thanks for sharing this. I never saw one of these. I need one for work instead of boiling water in the morning and putting in a thermos for work. I also need one for my loft where I spend hours grading papers. It would be so nice to have it nearby. Great thinking! Price is reasonable, too.

You will definitely get your money's worth! I just recently used one and i was sold. It takes like 60 seconds to heat up....no thermos...no boiling over in microwave...no forgotten teapots on the stove..... enjoy!!! :)

I have been drinking Yogi Tea for years....They are my favorite...
  • dk6boys
    dk6boys Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Late to this great group. I am truly enjoying reading through everyone's great posts. I was determined to give up all drinks Jan. 1 , did great for almost 2 weeks then caved. Night out with the husband and a few drinks, now back to nightly drinks. Woke up this morning feeling pretty crappy and I think its caught up with me. Back to cutting it out. And thankful for the husbands support. If I want to stop, he will stop too.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    justlog wrote: »
    I totally worry about becoming someone who like goes off the deep end and becomes an alcoholic (but I tend to worry about all kinds of terrible outcomes and illnesses) I guess this is why in the Naked Mind she talks about how personal it is for everyone. What they can handle. I personally hate being drunk. I think it feels terrible - so I walk that slippery slope of a couple glasses of wine. But tolerance builds through repetition. Man, I am loving the dry January and new perspective. I believe my alcohol consumption has been wrapped up in a) simply habit and b) a way to calm anxiety. This month has proved that I don’t need a glass of wine to calm down. In fact, a hot tea actually makes me feel better! I am curious about February though. I don’t want the daily “should I drink or not” take up so much headspace. I like not thinking about it! Sorry rambling

You're not rambling... It's real.. And, it is different for everyone. Each of us need to come to terms with it (or not) on our own- whatever that means.

Regardless, I think becoming aware of it and knowing how to deal with it honestly is key. Otherwise, it get's away and then issues come into play.

I keep using the term "sustainable moderation" because to me, it means knowing when to tone it down, when to turn it off and more importantly - when to enjoy. My personal definition says if I can't do any of those three - there's an issue.

I agree with your last sentence. This is what I am trying to work through personally right now. I feel like saying I am giving up alcohol forever is somehow giving it control over me. I do not like the feeling of not being in control (ironic, huh?). I feel like I am strong enough to enjoy alcohol in "sustainable moderation" as you describe it. Am I kidding myself? Maybe. I guess time will tell. I did not drink any alcohol last night. I will not drink tomorrow either. Friday we are going out for dinner and I will enjoy a glass of wine or two. This is my plan and sticking to it is important to me...sustainable moderation.

I keep using the term "sustainable moderation" because to me, it means knowing when to tone it down, when to turn it off and more importantly - when to enjoy. My personal definition says if I can't do any of those three - there's an issue.

I actually really like this definition as well.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    dk6boys wrote: »
    Late to this great group. I am truly enjoying reading through everyone's great posts. I was determined to give up all drinks Jan. 1 , did great for almost 2 weeks then caved. Night out with the husband and a few drinks, now back to nightly drinks. Woke up this morning feeling pretty crappy and I think its caught up with me. Back to cutting it out. And thankful for the husbands support. If I want to stop, he will stop too.

That's the beauty even if you cave in you can recognize it and get back on track. It's better than caving in and staying in that cave! LOL!
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    snoo61 wrote: »
    Feeling a bit discourage my b/f for the last three days has gotten $h!tfaced and missed work for partying (being hungover) while I have been good and going to bed. I know I use to be the same but its tempting to cave when he is drinking and join him. But at the same time I am so disappointed in his actions. (missing work... really)

1/1-drank
    1/2-no-hungover (at work)- over ate
    1/3-no
    1/4-no
    1/5-drank
    1/6-no
    1/7-drank
    1/8 no
    1/9 no
    1/10 no
    1/11 drank
    1/12 drank
    1/13 drank
    1/14 no
    1/15 no
    1/16 no- dont plan to

37.5% - enjoying keeping this percentage talley keeps me motivated to lower it or just see it not rise

My goal is 1 less beer a night, I'm holding about 50% (every other night). You are doing great! Keep it up!

• Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    Goal — January under 7 drinks a week- for my health.....my mind.....my body....Freedom from alcohol ruling my life!

1/1 =alcohol free
    1/2 = 4 wine spritzers
    1/3 =alcohol free
    1/4 =alcohol free
    1/5 =alcohol free while my husband must of drank almost 2 bottles of wine....I wasn't tempted, which was great!
    1/6 =alcohol free while my husband must of drank almost 2 bottles of wine
    1/7 =alcohol free while my husband must of drank almost 2 bottles of wine-I copy and paste! Rerun! :) I feel that now I don't even want one drink as it is never enough...I always want more! I will see how long I can be FREE from alcohol. Losing weight and feeling great!
    1/8 =DITTO...I slept better last night--had an Atkins bar around 8...maybe that was it...I also had to go to my guest room again for my husbands snoring started again! :)
    1/9 =DITTO and lost another pound---Wow! 7 days alcohol FREE!! This is the longest I have gone for years!
    1/10 =8 days freedom
    1/11 =9 days freedom- looking forward to reading my new books...This Naked Mind and Blackout-Remembering The Things I Drank to Forget...
    1/12 =10 days clean! My hubby only drank during the day, not last night. He didn't snore last night, so I didn't have to go to our guest room to sleep. Read the first 2 1/2 chapters of This Naked Mind and finding it interesting.
    1/13 =11 Days freedom! It is actually getting easier at this point...I just ordered some liver detox....
    1/14 =12 Days freedom! It really helps to have all you on MFP for support! Thank you all!! :)
    1/15 =13 days---Wow! I am finally sleeping in my own bed now because my husband cuts off his drinking at night and he doesn't snore so loud to make me go into our guest room! LOL! He didn't like me going into the guest room, so he cut down... :)
    1/16 =14 days freedom! 2 weeks!! YAY! I have to note how yesterday was a bit interesting when my hubby just bottle a bunch of wine and said to me, "Taste this, it is better than the usual Concord that we make". I told him immediately that I was just drinking green tea and it wouldn't taste good. I was so glad that I was drinking tea, as I would have been tempted to taste it. I feel that if it happens again that I am prepared now and will decline. I am going to tell him today not even to ask me to taste. :)

1/17 =
    1/18 =
    1/19 =
    1/20 =
    1/21 =
    1/22 =
    1/23 =
    1/24 =
    1/25 =
    1/26 =
    1/27 =
    1/28 =
    1/29 =
    1/30 =
    1/31

Wow your doing awesome! :)B)
  • justlog
    justlog Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    smomnnyrb wrote: »
    I am totally trying to cut out alcohol. I've had more non-drinking days this month than drinking days, but why is this so hard?! Ugh. I hate everything about how it makes me feel/act/think/look yet the temptation remains. I am so much happier without it and will keep reminding myself of that. And trying to limit food to accommodate booze just does not work out for me, nor is it healthy. Good luck everyone!

Hang on out in here and let us know how it's going and what strategy you are using! Good luck!!
  • smomnnyrb
    smomnnyrb Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    justlog wrote: »
    smomnnyrb wrote: »
    I am totally trying to cut out alcohol. I've had more non-drinking days this month than drinking days, but why is this so hard?! Ugh. I hate everything about how it makes me feel/act/think/look yet the temptation remains. I am so much happier without it and will keep reminding myself of that. And trying to limit food to accommodate booze just does not work out for me, nor is it healthy. Good luck everyone!

Hang on out in here and let us know how it's going and what strategy you are using! Good luck!!

Will do! :smile:
  • erikNJ
    erikNJ Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    snoo61 wrote: »
    Also - is there any kind of support network for people who don't want to completely abstain from alcohol, but would like to significantly cut back? Or is AA still the only option out there?

I'm just cutting back from the week days. So I still show that I drink Fri-Sun.

I'm considering this thread a support network. I'm trying to cut back.

I also consider this group a support network. I do not believe there is an AA equivalent to drinking less but still drinking sometimes.
    But reading these posts everyday and sometimes contributing myself has really helped me stick to my goals. It’s great to see everyones victories and even their honesty when the slip up. But usually everyone seems determined to get back on it.
    I’m not sure if something like this works for everyone - we all have to find our own motivations - but this is working for me and it seems many others
  • mmccool719
    mmccool719 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Been away for a few days in Florida. I had 2 wines and 2 beers, 2 vodkas in 4 days. I’m more disappointed in my carb/sugar intake actually. I was doing so good. But as we all remind each other, today is a new day. I deeply admire those of you who have stayed in track with your goals.
  • dbanks80
    Options
    lilann1961 wrote: »
    You all have made me feel no longer alone in this journey. After drinking an entire bottle on New Years Day, I have cut WAY WAY WAY back. First week, I had two glasses of wine. Second week, I had a beer on Wednesday, some presecco with the husband on Saturday and had a Moscow mule this past Monday after having to put a foster dog down. That is it. Not only have NOT spent a lot of money on my wine habit (just the two glasses the first Saturday), I have lost 7lbs. I feel better, I sleep better, I eat WAY better and people are already asking me "what has changed." I am pretty embarrassed by my alcohol consumption over the past few years, and to see the immediate changes in my body and checking account (we also have not eaten out minus one lunch with my bff), I cannot believe I let it get this bad. To those of you who have stayed in line with your goals, YOU ROCK. To those who have fallen off a few times, just know every single day is a new day and YOU CAN DO THIS. I am hoping this is sustainable as my mind shifts to enjoying the actual important things in life. I told myself when I started this journey, I would not call it a diet, and this is the farthest I have EVER gone. Feel free to friend me as we all continue this journey together! <<hugs>>

That is awesome!!!
  • dbanks80
    Options
    Can we continue this into February??? This is really helping me to stay focused.