Less alcohol- January 2018- one day at a time

Options

Replies

• machchic
    machchic Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    islandbeez wrote: »
    machchic wrote: »
    Went out for Mexican last night, normally I would have had a few Margarita's and then came home and slammed 3 more vodka's on the rocks. Last night I didn't even think about it. Hubby even said look at the money we are saving and calories(As I wolfed down a bowl of chips and salsa). I do get tired of all the restrictions, I am okay now with no alcohol but I did think I would lose weight quicker, now I am needing to start restriction calories of food more, Since being dry I have a tendency to reward myself in the evening with a treat since I am not drinking. Ordering me an electric tea pot today so I can have more tea in the evening instead of food.

We did Mexican last night as well. I stuck to water but as that Margarita was served to the table next to me I did have a moment of envy :wink: It was my first day so I was nervous how I would do. It helps that my hubby is a non-drinker of almost 2 years. I came home and had tea....I have an electric kettle but now I want the one that has LED lights!

Good for you!!!! It gets easier I think the more you overcome these situations. You can do it! And yes I must get the one with the blue lights, it looks so inviting and cool.
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    On 11th day. Though I don’t have a huge desire to drink, still feel pretty crappy. I’ve been drinking huge amounts of water, sparkling water, some diet caffeine free coke, calming teas- basically everything except alcohol. Needless to say, I’m quite bloated. :(
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    erikNJ wrote: »
    After a few weeks of cutting my drinking down to one day a week I feel I have learned a few things.
    About drinking, it is that I don’t really need or crave it. I do enjoy it but I think mostly it’s a thing to do. I have now been out to a concert and to about 5 bars. I have not got drunk at any of those events.
    But food is my real struggle. I am kind of childish in that I don’t really enjoy plant based foods. I love meat, cheese and carbs. At the bar the other nighy I had no problem ordering water instead of beer. But watching everyone around me order fries and cheesesteaks an mozzarella sticks ... that was a tough internal struggle.
    And the biggest problem going back to alcohol is that when I do drink I overindulge in those unhealthy foods.

thats a tough one. luckily i enjoy veggies and lean meats
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    NormInv wrote: »
    I love how strong and supportive everyone is.

Everyone has their own struggle. For some, just the first week is the key and then its easy, for others its a lifetime battle. But I am learning that your body will expect what you teach it. If you teach it to expect a drink after work, guess what it will make you miserable if you dont give it that drink.

My friend was trying to do Dry January, he's religious so he said to me he asked himself, what would Jesus do.....turn water to wine of course....so he had to look for a different motivation.

It appears to me that they did drink in moderation then but for those that had a hard time controlling things, I think the following was given as a call for abstinence from things that are wrecking a person:

Matt 18:8 Wherefore if thy hand or thy foot offend thee, cut them off, and cast them from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life halt or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet to be cast into everlasting fire.

9 And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire.

Abstinence is doable and is much better than continually trying to fight the problem if it is difficult to control. There are also lots of other scriptures in the bible that warn against drinking or over drinking. Religious conviction can be a good motivator to abstain.

Sorry if I offended, wasn't my intent, thank you.
  • Alzzi76
    Alzzi76 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Kelkat405 wrote: »
    I survived the party last night and I was the only person there not drinking. I drank water all not long. A few people tried to play the you can have just one card, but I never gave in. We can do this!!

Nice work. I did it too yesturday. Not sure when i last did it. I just had soda with lemon juice. I survived too. And feel very happy with myself. o:)
    MichSmish wrote: »
    Morning guys! Sounds like everyone had a pretty great and successful Saturday! :smile: Here’s to a peaceful and mellow Sunday!

Monday for me and.. it my b day B) I m Not giving in!!!! I'll find somthing else i enjoy.
  • Alzzi76
    Alzzi76 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    MamaKaz79 wrote: »
    Drinking always seems to lead to too much snacking for me. Log one night of real drinking, holy smokes. The calories!!! I am in. I know cutting back will help me lose some weight
    tamera_g wrote: »
    I'm in. No more alcohol for January.

Yes u r right here for me too. Its a bad influence.
  • erikNJ
    erikNJ Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    NormInv wrote: »
    erikNJ wrote: »
    After a few weeks of cutting my drinking down to one day a week I feel I have learned a few things.
    About drinking, it is that I don’t really need or crave it. I do enjoy it but I think mostly it’s a thing to do. I have now been out to a concert and to about 5 bars. I have not got drunk at any of those events.
    But food is my real struggle. I am kind of childish in that I don’t really enjoy plant based foods. I love meat, cheese and carbs. At the bar the other nighy I had no problem ordering water instead of beer. But watching everyone around me order fries and cheesesteaks an mozzarella sticks ... that was a tough internal struggle.
    And the biggest problem going back to alcohol is that when I do drink I overindulge in those unhealthy foods.

thats a tough one. luckily i enjoy veggies and lean meats

I do enjoy lean meats as well, actually i do prefer them. But veggies are not my thing. And in the climate i live fruits are really at their best during the summer. Tough to get them at their peak this time of year
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    donimfp wrote: »
    OK. I'm back in. After "caving" on the 14th, I spent this last week with a "What the hell" attitude. @JulieAL1969, your instincts are so right. It is NOT fun to go back to feeling crummy and not enjoying the clear, clean, FUN feeling. So, I'm committing to the next 11 days alcohol free and will join y'all in February, too.

One fear is that on Feb. 1 I am flying across country with my husband for his mother's 90th birthday celebration. All 8 of his siblings and their spouses will be there, and I just learned we're going via limo to this big bash so we can all party with no worries. Ugh. I know that by the 31st (11 straight alcohol-free days), I'll be feeling that liberated feeling again. Hopefully that will be enough to see me through the birthday weekend.

However, I realize my focus needs to be on today, not 12 days from now. Have a good Sunday, everyone.

I've been missing you! Glad you are back!!