Stefbomb2020 Posts: 289 Member

Name: reanna143
    Height: 5'2”

Start Weight (Jan 20, 2018): 199.4lbs
    Goal Weight (april 1st 2018): 177lbs
  • cjbrummet
    cjbrummet Posts: 66 Member
    edited January 2018
    @skinnyjeanzbound I have the macros on my computer display but not on my cell phone. I didn't see any way to release it unless I go premium, unless you know something I don't.

@ambrrr01 welcome back, I just came back as well.

@happygirlxxx I don't think that everything in moderation is referring to your effort toward exercise or diet I think it is referring to when you want to do something to the excess like eat bad foods or drink alcohol. Moderation instead of excess is the key to not becoming an alcoholic or overeating. I think I have great will power on my diet as long as I stay away completely from certain foods, but like an alcoholic once I start eating potato chips or cookies I want to keep eating it. I lose my self control. I can go through a whole roll of Trefoil girl scout cookies in one sitting, so I have to stay away.

Wow literally mid-thought my computer decided it needed to update. So I had to wait about ten minutes before I could continue. Fortunately it came right up to where I was and didn't post my comment half through.

@bapcarrier I like your motivational meme. Think about why you start things before you give them up. I while back I took to writing down quotes that moved me. Not necessary inspired me to do great things or anything, just quotes that I liked that expressed wow I wanted to see things in life. Sometimes I tend to be not depressed but more complacent and like reminders that changing things is hard but worth it. I especially liked @happygirlxxx last one about not listening to my inner fatty because she misses bread, it made me laugh and I could totally relate.
    Thanks for keeping track of the challenge group weight loss.

Sunday share:

I think I did that on the wrong day ...lol But anyway I am doing good despite all the recent health changes. I am hoping I am one of those individuals that will no longer need medication for my Hypertension and my Diabetes if I lose weight. I think, no I know I need to start working out if I want to keep losing weight, but during the winter I want to hibernate and not go outside. Which could be understandable if I lived up north and had to deal with the snow but I live in Dallas and it may be 20 degrees last Tuesday and now 60 degrees today. I dislike anything below 40 or above 85....lol I want to live in that magic zone and I want to do that without moving....lol

I hope everyone has a great weekend and I hope the Vikings win today. I am not a fan but my husband is and if he could have his team win he will be walking on air all week. I am a Cowboys fan myself but I want the Vikings to win and play in a superbowl in their own stadium. I don't think that has happened before. It might be enough drive to get the Vikings to actually win a superbowl....lol (they have been 4 times and never won, a point I have often made to my husband when he disses my Cowboys)
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    @cjbrummet ... just a thought on seeing your macros on your cell phone ... on the line where you see your Calories Remaining ... after the "=" sign is your remaining calories ... press on them .. on my phone, that opens up a window where you can see Calories, Nutrients, or Macros in selected views (Daily, Weekly, or change date).
  • finngirl61
    finngirl61 Posts: 122 Member
    I like this group and hope it helps. I am going to lose the weight as I'm so tired of the struggle. But need motivation. Keep posting everyone.
  • cjbrummet
    cjbrummet Posts: 66 Member
    @Nikion901 that worked thanks
  • wishlady2
    wishlady2 Posts: 14 Member
    Okay I am new so hopefully I do this right
    Name wishlady2
    Age 38
    Height 5'6"
    Starting Weight 251(1/14/18)
    Goal Weight 150 (1/1/19)

My big share is that I blended spinach and then stuck it in ham salad and I didn't tell until after it was eaten. It was liked so I am happy.
  • TurtleTape
    TurtleTape Posts: 254 Member
    I've been in this thread before and fell off the wagon. Now I'm back with more to lose and more determination. Down 15 since Christmas with a lot more to lose, and have been getting more serious over the past week. I've been counting calories and have started using an under desk cycle while gaming and watching videos. I'm using intermittent fasting to work with my tendencies toward snacks and large mes, and it's working so far. Am also using a Fitbit. Good to be back, let's get going.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    @cjbrummet ... just a thought on seeing your macros on your cell phone ... on the line where you see your Calories Remaining ... after the "=" sign is your remaining calories ... press on them .. on my phone, that opens up a window where you can see Calories, Nutrients, or Macros in selected views (Daily, Weekly, or change date).

@cjbrummet --yes, to what niki said. Another way to see them is to click on the food diary at the bottom of the main screen (between the Home and Me tabs). Once the diary opens, scroll all the way down and click on the nutrition tab. That should open up a pie chart of your calories from breakfast, lunch, etc. To switch to the macros, look at the blue area toward the top. There should be 3 labels that read Calories, Nutrients, and Macros. Click on macros, and that pie chart will show up.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    @canyonGeek --I use the same method as you for weighing in. I used to be obsessed with the scale--sometimes weighing several times a day. I've found that one morning weigh-in and then just logging when I hit a new low, has completely cured my scale obsession. Thanks for sharing that website-- I will check it out. :)
  • TurtleTape
    canyonGeek wrote: »
    @TurtleTape -- I use IF too. It's helped a lot. Get to have that big satisfying meal once a day, which works great for me.

Yep, my window starts at 4pm, but I can easily wait until dinnertime. Then get to get that one big one, then munch to goal. It's great when you finally figure out how to work your brain.
  • happygirlxxx
    happygirlxxx Posts: 301 Member
    Happy Monday!!

I don’t know why I woke up so hungry this morning, but already had my breakfast and still could have another omelette! I will wait a bit and have an early lunch .. will try not to have something too heavy though so I can workout later.

@TurtleTape @wishlady2 @finngirl61 @Reanna143 @ambrrr01 welcome to the community! Hope you enjoy it!

@TurtleTape @canyonGeek I have seen a lot of people doing IF, but I don’t know if I could go all day with no eating and then a heavy meal at the end of the day … specially because here in Italy we have dinner earliest 8pm, so that would mean a terrible night sleep and also I can’t eat huge meals, so then I might be very low on my calories … but what I do sometimes is have a good breakfast and then dinner, so skip lunch or just a light vegetable broth or coffee … that I can deal with. But I might try this week since hubby will be in Germany so I can have dinner earlier by myself. Everyone that does IF swears that its great, so lets see! But, any suggestions? Do you just like drink water until dinner time? How much weight do you lose in average per week?

In regards my weigh-ins, this year I started to do so on Mondays and that is the figure I entry on MFP, regardless is it up or down. And that is the figure I use for the Friday challenge as well, unless my weight went up on Friday and then I use that one (which is what happened last week) … so if I loose weight during the week I don’t count it for the challenge that Friday, but the following week … gives time to really make sure it stays off :D I know confusing, but I like it :)

Have an great start of the week y’all!

p6cyei4nk7g9.png
  • Nikion901
    edited January 2018
    Monday Check-in ... seems like it's been a while since I did one of these, but without looking back to check, it could have been 7 days ago! :)
    I weigh myself every morning, and for our challenge on here, I report on whatever day the challenges call for ... it was on Wednesday's last year and the current challenge is on Friday ... and if we have another volunteer to step up to moderate another challenge after this one ends, it will be whatever day that one says is the day for it.

It works for me to weigh-in every day ... the scale is in the bathroom and that's the first place I head to after waking up in the morning anyway. I actually keep a little post-it pad and pencil in the 'stuff' tray so I can jot down the number. Because my weight fluctuates by up to 3 pounds from one day to the next, I take an average of the 7-days to report my average weight into my trending log. That's a better, for me, measure of where I'm heading weight-wise. This also means that every challenge I am in, which has a different weight reporting day, I get to report that days weight to so very seldom do all my entries carry the same weight in any week.

Like many have stated they do or have tried it ... Intermittent Fasting (IF) is something I have tried. I think those of us who are perennial weigh-loss losers/gainers are prone to trying the latest popular technique to loss or keep off excess weight.

Actually, IF was easy for me to do because fasting was a given in my childhood home for religious purposes. And those fasts were long enough, frequent enough, and strict enough, that I had become accustomed to this type of eating plan. And, now that I think about it, I started to gain weight when I abandoned that form of abstinence and ate without moderation of any food in any season.

Today, I don't practice IF per-se, but I do minimize how many meals or snacks I have in any given time period. I use it more as a reflection of the holding quality of the meal I just had because if I am hungry soon after the meal I know it was more likely to have been out of balance macro wise than too light in calories. Like those saltines and butter I had yesterday ... that type of food just fuels the desire to consume more even until the point of being over-filled. And thus, that over-abundance of fat and starchy carbs yesterday led to an overnight 3 pound gain this morning. Will it be off by our reporting day this Friday? Maybe, but more likely not. PS ... because for me, "It comes on fast but goes off slow" ... even if it is just basically 'water weight'.

• b_lisieux
    b_lisieux Posts: 187 Member
    Good morning. Lots of posts to catch up on. Happy to report my back is finally better and life is normal again.

Welcome to all of those who have joined/re-joined us. This is a great group.

I can easily not eat anything until maybe 2 or 3 most days. I never have been a big breakfast eater. The thought of food when I first wake up makes me feel nauseous. Rarely do I eat anything for breakfast, maybe once in a while. Not sure if you'd call that IF or not. It's what I've done most of my life.

As for weighing, I only do it once a week, on Friday mornings. For me, personally, I'd drive myself nuts weighing every day as I know weight fluctuates and it would be a psychological downer for me if I saw a gain which simply could be because I ate something salty the night before perhaps. The bottom line is whatever works for each person is good.

Have a busy day planned for today. I hope everyone has a great Monday!
  • Nikion901
    b_lisieux wrote: »

As for weighing, I only do it once a week, on Friday mornings. For me, personally, I'd drive myself nuts weighing every day as I know weight fluctuates and it would be a psychological downer for me if I saw a gain which simply could be because I ate something salty the night before perhaps. The bottom line is whatever works for each person is good.

That's right ... "what works for you" is the byword. And for me, actually, it's had a moderating effect ... the daily weigh-ins. Because, it's made me realize that not only does my weight fluctuate continually (after all, it's a live thing), but that scales can differ each time you step on them (after all, most are approximate measures anyway). ... and when I weighed in one time a week, then that number represented a whole week's worth of effort and I was either 'rewarded' or 'punished' with less or more pounds on the scale ... Now, it's just a number ... one that I keep track of to see the trend, and as long as the trend is heading in the direction I want overall, I am satisfied.
  • DebCountsAll
    DebCountsAll Posts: 471 Member
    Good morning! Just started my fitness journey last week, have lost 7 so far but I know that's just moving water mostly. I am headed to Alaska on Wednesday from California and had to purchase cold weather clothes for the first time in a couple decades. I am looking forward to the trip, but NOT looking forward to lack of control with meal planning.

I've found a groove in basically drinking coffee or tea until noon, then eating my first of three meals. I am done eating by 8pm so I guess that kind of works as intermittent fasting. I'm not doing it intentionally. I just am not eating until I've been hungry for at least half hour or so. There is nothing to gain by avoiding feeling hungry anyhow.

Have a great day and week!
  • TurtleTape
    @happygirlxxx My issue is that once I start eating for the day, it's very difficult to stop, so my attempts at eating throughout the day while counting have generally been failures or miserable. I just drink water throughout the day(some say a little coffee, broth, tea, diet soda up to like 50 cals is okay, but most avoid it all) and tell myself "you can survive this for another hour". So far I have no averages for weekly loss since I just figured out the eating window that works for me.

You can start your eating window whenever you want, you don't have to wait until supper. I tried a 12-8 window, but couldn't stop after 8. If you want to try it, just experiment. Most people start with 16 hours fast to 8 eat.
  • raindogmaa
    raindogmaa Posts: 205 Member
    Ugh! Confession Monday. I have been doing so well with limiting my calories while I recuperate from my foot surgery... but today I slipped up. Someone had a birthday in the office and we celebrated with a cake. I had a big piece and now I just feel sick. I'm not mad at myself which is a step in the right direction... but I feel absolutely ill! I need to remember this feeling for when I let temptation get the best of me. Now I only have about 600 cals for the rest of the day... I'm in California and it's 12:15pm. My IF time starts....... NOW (lol!)
  • happygirlxxx
    happygirlxxx Posts: 301 Member
    @TurtleTape @canyonGeek thanks for sharing your experience with IF ... question, so you have your allotted daily calories all at once at dinner time, lets say the 1,200 cals or do you just eat less calories per day?
  • TurtleTape
    @happygirlxxx I have one big meal, then snacks to round out my calorie goal. Currently planning what to have for supper. I'm the only one home and I've been a good boy all week, so considering a restaurant meal. ^.^