Less alcohol- January 2018- one day at a time

Options

Replies

• islandbeez
    islandbeez Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    mmccool719 wrote: »
    Finally got audiobook of Naked Mind from library. I got though intro, chapter 1 and part of chapter 2 during my morning commute. I’ll be honest, and maybe it’s due to listening and not reading the words, she goes over my IQ level a little bit so far. Although I do get the conscious and unconscious mind stuff. interesting she points out that society and media insert alcohol everywhere, making our unconscious mind think alcohol is just expected to be part of your life! Look at The Bachelor, Bravo shows, even Hoda and Kathie Lee!! They all drink!! I wonder how much our children see and if this exposure affects them too?? On another note, her book had put my consumption in to perspective. I’ve never drank to a black out but I easily can polish off a bottle of wine over the course of 3-4 hours. I think I am alcohol dependent (habit) more so than disease of alcoholism. But I don’t want to go down that path as it runs deeply in my family tree. Sorry for the long post!!

I have it on audio and felt the same way as you, I know actually seeing it in print will make it easier for me, but enough gets through so it makes a huge impact. I have the book in my Amazon cart so I can read it myself. Also reading the daily exercises on her website is really insightful, think about doing that when you decide to go alcohol free. She really makes you think about why you are repeating this behavior every day. Mine seems to be more habit than actual need, I just have to learn to think differently and am trying to put new habits in place.
  • springsweet
    springsweet Posts: 184 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    mmccool719 wrote: »
    Finally got audiobook of Naked Mind from library. I got though intro, chapter 1 and part of chapter 2 during my morning commute. I’ll be honest, and maybe it’s due to listening and not reading the words, she goes over my IQ level a little bit so far. Although I do get the conscious and unconscious mind stuff. interesting she points out that society and media insert alcohol everywhere, making our unconscious mind think alcohol is just expected to be part of your life! Look at The Bachelor, Bravo shows, even Hoda and Kathie Lee!! They all drink!! I wonder how much our children see and if this exposure affects them too?? On another note, her book had put my consumption in to perspective. I’ve never drank to a black out but I easily can polish off a bottle of wine over the course of 3-4 hours. I think I am alcohol dependent (habit) more so than disease of alcoholism. But I don’t want to go down that path as it runs deeply in my family tree. Sorry for the long post!!

Just wait until you get to the part about what alcohol does to our vital organs! I read that last night and I swear, it makes me feel like I've been poisoning myself for years. Which, I guess, I have. :(

I'm so thankful to this group for exposing me to The Naked Mind and now The Alcohol Experiment!

No booze yesterday was a success but as someone pointed out, I expected it to be easy since I was still recovering from that terrible hangover on Sunday. Damn those high gravity beers! :(
  • springsweet
    Options
    Oh! And I wanted to ask... has anyone here experienced any difficulty sleeping in the first few days after you quit drinking? It took me forever to fall asleep last night! :( Hopefully that will pass after a few days. I'm usually a good sleeper and I need my good sleep!
  • 0tiamka0
    0tiamka0 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I only just found this thread, but I think I could really use the support. I had stopped drinking regularly for over a year when one week, last November, I slid hard back into my old habits and not just previous years' habits, but more like college days habits (think 4-6 beers a night, or a bottle of wine). Now it is really starting to wear me out as well as seriously disrupting my weight-loss progress (down 125 lbs). I went both Saturday and Sunday w/o a drink, but had a beer last night when I got home from work. I guess the good news is that I only had one, rather than 3-4.

Does anyone have any tips on how to limit to once or twice a week without backsliding all the way?
  • lonestarbabe
    lonestarbabe Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    1/21: No alcohol
    1/22: No alcohol
    1/23
    1/24
    1/25
    1/26
    1/27
    1/28
    1/29
    1/30
    1/31
  • MamaKaz79
    MamaKaz79 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!
  • justlog
    justlog Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hi, I hope you don't mind me joining you! First day of getting back on the wagon with healthy eating after the Christmas indulgence and I've only managed 2 alcohol free days so far. I struggle as my hubby drinks a couple a beers and some wine every night and I tend to join in, I find it hard to say no...especially after dealing with an very demanding (and recently diagnosed autistic) 4 year old all day, along with anxiety and other stresses...I find it helps me to unwind...but then end up feeling rubbish the next day. So I'm joining you all here. I hope I won't be judged too harshly! I rarely drink to get drunk, just to 'take the edge off' but it has massively impacted on my weight, skin, and body confidence to boot so I just want to try and cut down. Maybe even just stop for 2 or 3 nights a week would be a good improvement!

Welcome... jump on in. Great group here!
  • springsweet
    Options
    Has anybody checked out Annie Grace's youtube channel? I can't stop watching/listening to her videos while I work today. :) I highly recommend! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4KpBxerD_BIksjUfUT4hVw
  • Alzzi76
    Alzzi76 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Oh! And I wanted to ask... has anyone here experienced any difficulty sleeping in the first few days after you quit drinking? It took me forever to fall asleep last night! :( Hopefully that will pass after a few days. I'm usually a good sleeper and I need my good sleep!

Yes it does happen. Having relaxing baths and meditation help s immensely. Hoping out gets better for you...xo congrats for doing it.
  • Alzzi76
    Options
    Hi, I hope you don't mind me joining you! First day of getting back on the wagon with healthy eating after the Christmas indulgence and I've only managed 2 alcohol free days so far. I struggle as my hubby drinks a couple a beers and some wine every night and I tend to join in, I find it hard to say no...especially after dealing with an very demanding (and recently diagnosed autistic) 4 year old all day, along with anxiety and other stresses...I find it helps me to unwind...but then end up feeling rubbish the next day. So I'm joining you all here. I hope I won't be judged too harshly! I rarely drink to get drunk, just to 'take the edge off' but it has massively impacted on my weight, skin, and body confidence to boot so I just want to try and cut down. Maybe even just stop for 2 or 3 nights a week would be a good improvement!

Welcome..
  • Alzzi76
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Hello everyone.. last night i found another substitue for a night cap. .. if u have a membership to a 24 hr gym, go and do a work out. I say, i felt ;) a milliins bucks. Right ready for a shower and crash out.