Less alcohol- January 2018- one day at a time

Options

Replies

• snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Poston1966 wrote: »
    I hope I'm not too late to join the challenge. I am all in! I have decided to stop drinking during the weekday and only lightly on the weekends. I have a very demanding job and was in the habit of having one of the two glasses of night. I am now coming home and going to the gym. I do feel better. I miss having a glass of wine with dinner.
    One day at a time!

Welcome! You'll get a lot of support here
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Oh! And I wanted to ask... has anyone here experienced any difficulty sleeping in the first few days after you quit drinking? It took me forever to fall asleep last night! :( Hopefully that will pass after a few days. I'm usually a good sleeper and I need my good sleep!

Yes, I have. I understand it's a common symptom. :/
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,174 Member
    Options
    Alzzi76 wrote: »
    Hello everyone.. last night i found another substitue for a night cap. .. if u have a membership to a 24 hr gym, go and do a work out. I say, i felt ;) a milliins bucks. Right ready for a shower and crash out.

Great idea!!!
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    Hi, I hope you don't mind me joining you! First day of getting back on the wagon with healthy eating after the Christmas indulgence and I've only managed 2 alcohol free days so far. I struggle as my hubby drinks a couple a beers and some wine every night and I tend to join in, I find it hard to say no...especially after dealing with an very demanding (and recently diagnosed autistic) 4 year old all day, along with anxiety and other stresses...I find it helps me to unwind...but then end up feeling rubbish the next day. So I'm joining you all here. I hope I won't be judged too harshly! I rarely drink to get drunk, just to 'take the edge off' but it has massively impacted on my weight, skin, and body confidence to boot so I just want to try and cut down. Maybe even just stop for 2 or 3 nights a week would be a good improvement!

Welcome! And just to put your mind at ease...this thread has been devoid of anyone judging others! Only genuine compassion and support!

No judgment at all. We are all on our own journey. Wishing you strength - you are going through very challenging times. We're here for you.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    Has anybody checked out Annie Grace's youtube channel? I can't stop watching/listening to her videos while I work today. :) I highly recommend! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4KpBxerD_BIksjUfUT4hVw

I really like Annie Graces channel. It's like she's talk to me as a friend. I like her personality and kindness.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    0tiamka0 wrote: »
    I only just found this thread, but I think I could really use the support. I had stopped drinking regularly for over a year when one week, last November, I slid hard back into my old habits and not just previous years' habits, but more like college days habits (think 4-6 beers a night, or a bottle of wine). Now it is really starting to wear me out as well as seriously disrupting my weight-loss progress (down 125 lbs). I went both Saturday and Sunday w/o a drink, but had a beer last night when I got home from work. I guess the good news is that I only had one, rather than 3-4.

Does anyone have any tips on how to limit to once or twice a week without backsliding all the way?

I am not good at moderating, so I can't give you any tips. But I"m sure someone on this thread can. We are all at different places- some doing Damp January, some sober for months, some trying Dry January and maybe February...

Think back to what worked for you when you took a year off. Also, read some blogs by Annie Grace or others. Also, I find if I write my goals down on paper they stick better than if I just think about them in my head. Recently, I found some enlightening articles on Psychologytoday website. Good luck:)
  • Alzzi76
    Alzzi76 Posts: 504 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    0tiamka0 wrote: »
    I only just found this thread, but I think I could really use the support. I had stopped drinking regularly for over a year when one week, last November, I slid hard back into my old habits and not just previous years' habits, but more like college days habits (think 4-6 beers a night, or a bottle of wine). Now it is really starting to wear me out as well as seriously disrupting my weight-loss progress (down 125 lbs). I went both Saturday and Sunday w/o a drink, but had a beer last night when I got home from work. I guess the good news is that I only had one, rather than 3-4.

Does anyone have any tips on how to limit to once or twice a week without backsliding all the way?

I am not good at moderating, so I can't give you any tips. But I"m sure someone on this thread can. We are all at different places- some doing Damp January, some sober for months, some trying Dry January and maybe February...

Think back to what worked for you when you took a year off. Also, read some blogs by Annie Grace or others. Also, I find if I write my goals down on
    paper they stick better than if I just think about them in my head. Recently, I found some enlightening articles on Psychologytoday website. Good luck:)

Thanks Julie, thay helps to keep it ask in perspective. Thanku for starting this awesome chellenge thread.
  • kiomami
    kiomami Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Joined a 24 hour gym so I don't feel tempted to drink in the evenings