Of refeeds and diet breaks

Options

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    @anubis609 and @PAV8888 thanks for the links and the observations. You guys shook some thoughts loose in my head! Here's a couple -

All my closest relatives have died from the results of lifestyle choices (alcohol, tobacco) or complications of old age (my dad's pushing 90 and still goes to the gym and lifts 3 days a week), and I don't have any health markers that would pre-disposition me to anything in particular. I don't have any reason to tailor my weight/body fat goals to avoid any specific disease. I get to choose!

I've never in my life reached a weight goal and said "Score! Now to enjoy the results of my hard work!". I notice I'm not doing that now either, I'm stressing over what the next goal should be. The next goal should be learning how to maintain this healthy body in a way that becomes second nature, and experimenting with all the fun things I can do now that I'm lighter and stronger!

And oh that can be so difficult to have that as a goal.

Like I have a hard time keeping to an eating goal if the workouts aren't happening.
    Then again that could be a problem of liking to eat more.
    Or I keep attempting the "feed a cold" theory since that's what I get.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    While these guys found that low overweight BMIs were good for longevity, especially in more recent decades:
    https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/1555137
    https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2520627

These guys published, in the summer of 2016, a "stick to normal bmi levels" review study:
    thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(16)30175-1/abstract

I find humor in all the studies on mortality rates. what I mean is that in the end, our mortality rate is going to be 100% :) I know that the best goal we can have is to live as long as we can and in the best health that we can, so of course, keeping an eye on things that are detrimental to our health is a good idea. I just find it humorous and rather ironic that some folks will spend all their time obsessing over over little thing that will possibly, maybe affect a .0X% of their mortality rate in the next 10 years instead of just enjoying their lives.

That's not pointed at any one person; I'm just making a random, general statement based upon comments I see on various articles and the way various articles are often sensationalized. I just think that instead of stressing out over the minuscule things, that most people would be far happier if they'd deal with the big issues in life and then enjoy their lives - you know, enjoy the forest instead of focusing on the trees..... lol

But that's just me waxing philosophical! And of course, I'm just as guilty as most other folks. for instance, just this morning, I was temporarily irked because most days, I eat right at or slightly over my calorie limit, but since I'm at or over, that means I don't get the "and was under her calorie goal" message when I close my diary. I know, its really stupid to let it irk me, even if it only lasts for 5 seconds or so, but I'm a rules follower, and I have this initial knee-jerk reaction when it comes to things my mind has perceived as "the rules" so when my brain sees something and categorizes it as a rule that I failed to achieve, I get a sense of guilt. Rationally, I know this is ridiculous; but emotions rarely care about being rational......Of course, that statement follows back on to why so many folks stress over the minors :) So I'm just as guilty as everyone else!

anubis609 wrote: »
    @anubis609 I think that all I have concluded from the above studies is that it is too close to call anytime you have a combined lean mass and body fat amount around the high normal level. Plus or minus a couple of points.

In other words other considerations maybe more important at that point of time.

Wholeheartedly agree.

In other news, I'm apparently a glutton for punishment. I mosey into various keto threads (or literally get "summoned" on occasion) and the misinformation is astounding. I'd rather practice Olympic lifts for 4 hours. Is that so much to ask for?

oh, so you caught that you were mentioned in the "keto means not counting calories" thread! *grins*

I saw this thread this morning that you guys might find interesting:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10635955/lyle-mcdonald-legit-or-fos
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    @anubis609 and @PAV8888 thanks for the links and the observations. You guys shook some thoughts loose in my head! Here's a couple -

All my closest relatives have died from the results of lifestyle choices (alcohol, tobacco) or complications of old age (my dad's pushing 90 and still goes to the gym and lifts 3 days a week), and I don't have any health markers that would pre-disposition me to anything in particular. I don't have any reason to tailor my weight/body fat goals to avoid any specific disease. I get to choose!

I've never in my life reached a weight goal and said "Score! Now to enjoy the results of my hard work!". I notice I'm not doing that now either, I'm stressing over what the next goal should be. The next goal should be learning how to maintain this healthy body in a way that becomes second nature, and experimenting with all the fun things I can do now that I'm lighter and stronger!

And oh that can be so difficult to have that as a goal.

Like I have a hard time keeping to an eating goal if the workouts aren't happening.
    Then again that could be a problem of liking to eat more.
    Or I keep attempting the "feed a cold" theory since that's what I get.

Exactly! I re-thought that a little and signed up yesterday for a metric century in April that I did last year when I was 10 lbs heavier, and really struggled. I'm counting on the fear of putting myself through that again to replace the thrill of watching the scale go down.

And yeah, getting injured or sick would be problematical, cause ya gotta fuel that recovery, right?
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    While these guys found that low overweight BMIs were good for longevity, especially in more recent decades:
    https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/1555137
    https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2520627

These guys published, in the summer of 2016, a "stick to normal bmi levels" review study:
    thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(16)30175-1/abstract

I find humor in all the studies on mortality rates. what I mean is that in the end, our mortality rate is going to be 100% :) I know that the best goal we can have is to live as long as we can and in the best health that we can, so of course, keeping an eye on things that are detrimental to our health is a good idea. I just find it humorous and rather ironic that some folks will spend all their time obsessing over over little thing that will possibly, maybe affect a .0X% of their mortality rate in the next 10 years instead of just enjoying their lives.

That's not pointed at any one person; I'm just making a random, general statement based upon comments I see on various articles and the way various articles are often sensationalized. I just think that instead of stressing out over the minuscule things, that most people would be far happier if they'd deal with the big issues in life and then enjoy their lives - you know, enjoy the forest instead of focusing on the trees..... lol

But that's just me waxing philosophical! And of course, I'm just as guilty as most other folks. for instance, just this morning, I was temporarily irked because most days, I eat right at or slightly over my calorie limit, but since I'm at or over, that means I don't get the "and was under her calorie goal" message when I close my diary. I know, its really stupid to let it irk me, even if it only lasts for 5 seconds or so, but I'm a rules follower, and I have this initial knee-jerk reaction when it comes to things my mind has perceived as "the rules" so when my brain sees something and categorizes it as a rule that I failed to achieve, I get a sense of guilt. Rationally, I know this is ridiculous; but emotions rarely care about being rational......Of course, that statement follows back on to why so many folks stress over the minors :) So I'm just as guilty as everyone else!

@anubis609 I think that all I have concluded from the above studies is that it is too close to call anytime you have a combined lean mass and body fat amount around the high normal level. Plus or minus a couple of points.

In other words other considerations maybe more important at that point of time.

Wholeheartedly agree.

In other news, I'm apparently a glutton for punishment. I mosey into various keto threads (or literally get "summoned" on occasion) and the misinformation is astounding. I'd rather practice Olympic lifts for 4 hours. Is that so much to ask for?

oh, so you caught that you were mentioned in the "keto means not counting calories" thread! *grins*

I saw this thread this morning that you guys might find interesting:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10635955/lyle-mcdonald-legit-or-fos

I forget which form of social media I get tagged in sometimes lol. It's highly possible I've engaged the same people on mfp/fb/instagram/twitter without knowing.

And to your statement, yes, the absolute cause for mortality is birth. Haha. Controllable risk factors just enhance or worsen the journey, but from a philosophical perspective, there is merit in making it as meaningful as possible.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I think the women's book becomes available in the next couple of hours for anyone who was waiting on it.

Yes, I just hugged you for telling us about the book :lol:
  • Terebynthia
    Terebynthia Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Cool! I feel a loot reward coming on :dizzy:
  • anubis609
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I think the women's book becomes available in the next couple of hours for anyone who was waiting on it.

Yes, I just hugged you for telling us about the book :lol:

I get free hugs for announcing his release? I'll have to tag him in something completely ridiculous as thanks :tongue:
  • anubis609
    Options
    Prepare your wallets. It's live!

http://store.bodyrecomposition.com
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Prepare your wallets. It's live!

http://store.bodyrecomposition.com

Eek!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • anubis609
    Options
    Lyle's breaking the internet. Apparently his announcement sent the site into errors for some people lol. Good luck. There are signed and regular versions.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Lyle's breaking the internet. Apparently his announcement sent the site into errors for some people lol. Good luck. There are signed and regular versions.

Yeah, I got an error the first couple of times.

But, but, but... Is it more expensive than the other books because it's pink?!? Dammit :lol:
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

I want the signed version dammit!! But an extra $40 on top for postage, plus conversion to NZD, plus may as well have Kindle version as well...
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Decisions like this stress me out
  • anubis609
    Options

But, but, but... Is it more expensive than the other books because it's pink?!? Dammit :lol:

It’s expensive because it’s long af lol. Plus he’s donating $5 to a foundation for women so there’s that. But I got the signed + pdf version. Just because I like 2 copies of stuff haha
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

It’s expensive because it’s long af lol. Plus he’s donating $5 to a foundation for women so there’s that. But I got the signed + pdf version. Just because I like 2 copies of stuff haha

Yeah I got signed plus Kindle, with spency shipping to NZ. And managed to order two copies thanks to an internal server error message! If I'd waited a couple of minutes before hitting purchase again the confirmation email would have come through :\. So now I have the fun of working out how to reverse that (email to Lyle has been dispatched).
  • anubis609
    Options
    Yeah he doesn't have a problem with refunding. He should get that sorted for you.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    I'm probably not the only one it happened to...