Less alcohol- January 2018- one day at a time

Options

Replies

• justlog
    justlog Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I know it's only been 5 days for me, but I'm 100% positive I haven't lost any weight. Which was the main motivation for me to take a break. When I quit for 7 months in 2011 I didn't lose any weight either. I think it was because I ate more (esp more sugar). But this time I'm trying to be more conscious.
    Does anybody have any tips to losing weight while not drinking alcohol? I've increased my activity level, I'm drinking water all day long, I'm not eating poorly... I don't know, at this point I feel like I couldn't drop a pound even if somebody had a gun to my head. :(

I'm definitely feeling other great benefits of no alcohol, but like I said, I originally quit to lose weight.

Also, I had my first big test last night - met the hubby out for dinner at a neighborhood bar & grill that we frequent. I always have at least 1 drink there. But last night I had ginger ale with my dinner. It was awkward at first - I didn't even know what non-alcoholic drinks they had to choose from. And when I asked the server, she started listing off the beer & wine specials. :neutral: I should have prepared better, but I survived nonetheless. :smile:

Congrats on passing your first big test. Every step in the right direction... is a step forward to be sure.

As mentioned as far as weight loss... It's all about being as honest and as accurate as you can with logging. Sounds like you already know that though. I shed about 50lbs and still drank in moderation. What I notice when I don't for any length of time is a quit reduction in 'bloat', more than anything.

You can do this!
  • MaryBethHempel
    MaryBethHempel Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    JenT304 wrote: »
    Thank you for this thread. It has been most inspiring to read every morning. Along with the book, "Drinking: A love Story" which I saw on here already, I highly recommend, "Drink: The intimate relationship between women and alcohol", by Ann Dowsett Johnston. The way alcohol has become marketed to women is truly eye opening to read about. Whole sections in the liquor store of wines called, "Mommy's Time Out, Mad Housewife, Skinny B*tch" and on and on. Ann intertwines her own struggles with alcohol along with research. It is a compelling read. This thread has helped me cut back on alcohol more than anything else I have tried. I am very grateful for it.

Thank you for the recommendation. I will add them to my list. I am reading This Naked Mind and almost done. It has definitely been what I needed to be free of alcohol. I also have the book, "Blackout, Remembering the things I drank to forget", which was recommended her on this thread. These are on my Nook on my tablet. I will check for the others on my Nook. Last year I bought a book and never read it, because I was drinking heavy and didn't want to face it. The name of that book is, "The Alcoholism & Addiction CURE-Addiction Ends Here".
  • Zee_0100
    Zee_0100 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this thread. It has been most inspiring to read every morning. Along with the book, "Drinking: A love Story" which I saw on here already, I highly recommend, "Drink: The intimate relationship between women and alcohol", by Ann Dowsett Johnston. The way alcohol has become marketed to women is truly eye opening to read about. Whole sections in the liquor store of wines called, "Mommy's Time Out, Mad Housewife, Skinny B*tch" and on and on. Ann intertwines her own struggles with alcohol along with research. It is a compelling read. This thread has helped me cut back on alcohol more than anything else I have tried. I am very grateful for it.

Thank you for the recommendation. I will add them to my list. I am reading This Naked Mind and almost done. It has definitely been what I needed to be free of alcohol. I also have the book, "Blackout, Remembering the things I drank to forget", which was recommended her on this thread. These are on my Nook on my tablet. I will check for the others on my Nook. Last year I bought a book and never read it, because I was drinking heavy and didn't want to face it. The name of that book is, "The Alcoholism & Addiction CURE-Addiction Ends Here".

I finally bought This Naked Mind.

Excited to start it.

The only other book ive read on the topic of alcoholism was a few months ago- Drinking: A Love Story. Its a pretty compelling memoir and one that got me thinkibg seriously about my own relationship with alcohol. < I dont want to end that relationship, but i do want to repair it.

Its gonna take some time but you gonna be okay stay strong and i must say you got really nice body i just love it.
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Awesome jobs everyone!!! 2 weeks alcohol free for me. I’m still not sleeping very well. Hope that improves! Good night All.
  • Alzzi76
    Alzzi76 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    NormInv wrote: »
    Day 25 - check....wow I am amazed at not having had a drink for this long. Good job self!

:Do:) yes your right! I like it. Self motivation. B)
  • Zee_0100
    Zee_0100 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Zee_0100 wrote: »

I finally bought This Naked Mind.

Excited to start it.

The only other book ive read on the topic of alcoholism was a few months ago- Drinking: A Love Story. Its a pretty compelling memoir and one that got me thinkibg seriously about my own relationship with alcohol. < I dont want to end that relationship, but i do want to repair it.

Its gonna take some time but you gonna be okay stay strong and i must say you got really nice body i just love it.

Hahaha thanks

I try to workout hard 6 days a week...which is why it seems stupid that i also was drinking 3-5 drinks EVERY DAY.

Right now ive been sober 14 days since january 1st. Thats a new PR. :smile:

Damn 3-5 times a day that's alot. And how old are you?
  • Cleosweetie
    Cleosweetie Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Go Julie go! Yay!!