Bumping this great post.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    I'm just giving this a bump.

tumblr_n0gkbvMkfq1qk08n1o2_r1_500.gif

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    @usmcmp

I can't believe it's almost 4 years and I just finally read the OP, lol.

For those who want a good lifting program to support # 2, if it hasn't been said before: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Solid bumps! (I'm disappointed in you for not reading it @psuLemon )
    6b8c71ab9fdad57fa1dc8170459533c0.336x252x126.gif
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Actually was searching for your post because I remember reading it a few years ago and I remember being so inspired. Glad I found it and glad to see you still respond. Gonna make sure to bookmark it. Thanks for sharing. I am at a point where I want to lift again and I want to stay focused and remember that I do not need to run miles and miles to achieve my goal. And that I must be patient.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Solid bumps! (I'm disappointed in you for not reading it @psuLemon )
    6b8c71ab9fdad57fa1dc8170459533c0.336x252x126.gif

I didnt need to read it because we think so alike and are always on the same page... So.. :p
  • Dvdgzz
    Dvdgzz Posts: 437 Member
    I'm just now seeing this post. I agree on #4. For me the problem is cardio makes me hungry the same way sweating makes me thirsty. I end up eating all of the calories back and that can be done MUCH quicker than it took to burn them.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Feels like this could use a bump this week.
  • caterpillardreams
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Thanks for this post. I have a question though. My TDEE - 20% was a lot different from the website you posted and the scoobyworkshop. Scoobyworkshop says 1774 every day. The IF site says 1815 on the fasting days and 2269 on workout days.

I'm 5'8 and 141 lbs now wanting to lose the last few lbs before gaining muscle. I weight train 3 days a week and do cardio 2-3 days so put in moderately active. The calorie variation in these two websites is huge! Not sure which one to do.

1775 and 1815 are pretty close. Only 40 calorie difference. The workout day number can be ignored because you aren't trying to recomposition.

We are the same height and 141 pounds is pretty lean already (I compete at 155 pounds with very low body fat). Adding muscle is going to help you burn calories and look leaner.

Just reading through.

I am 5'8" Im shooting for 160, been on NROLFW. Wonder how worked out for dmt4641
    I know its an old post but Im going through this right now.
    Thanks for all the advice.
  • JessMarie0389
    JessMarie0389 Posts: 129 Member
    <3<3<3
  • Hungry_Shopgirl
    Hungry_Shopgirl Posts: 329 Member
    BUMP

giphy.gif
  • caterpillardreams
    edited January 2018
    Hi
    I have been reading your forum post for a few weeks now. I have been on New rules of lifting program in the middle of week 4. Its been awesome,
    The biggest challenge has been accurately logging but I have actually been using my food scale.
    I'm 5'8", 181. I calculated my daily intake @1800. Truthfully I have gone up a few hundred on extremely hungry days, but I have been honest, and I can see it better now that I am honest with myself about how much I have eaten, instead of ignoring the amount. This time around I can see how I didn't lose weight after so many years. I wasn't being honest with myself about how much I was eating. The scale has been everything.

So I want to say thank you for all of the great information and answering so many peoples questions

I have a few questions. I hurt my shoulder a couple of weeks ago. At first it was just a little pain, so I kept working out.
    Well now its gotten worse. I am gonna see the doc in a week And I am not gonna do any thing to exasperate the problem.

What do you think I can do to still keep my progress? Im not gonna do any shoulder lifts or pushups. Being able to actually do all the exercises is very motivational in itself.
    When you have injured yourself how do you keep yourself from falling off the wagon? do I adjust my calories? how do you stay motivated?

Thank you.
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Hi
    When you have injured yourself how do you keep yourself from falling off the wagon? do I adjust my calories? how do you stay motivated?

Thank you.
    For me, injuries are a time to focus on healing without too much back-slide. Depending on the work that needs to be done (on your shoulder) and how that will limit your mobility and weight bearing, you'll have to focus on what works best for you and your physician.

I was focused on protein-sparing weight loss, but healing and recovery were a priority over any weight loss goal.
    My approach was to perfect my eating and logging on a reduced calorie feeding plan. I set my calories to TDEE for the period of my initial recovery, expecting to neither gain nor lose weight. This had the effect of feeding my body well enough to recover. As soon as I was able to work the physical therapy for my injuries, my TDEE increased by the level of my activity, and I chose to feed on a negative taper -- first week was 100% of the new TDEE, and each successive week was a drop of a few hundred calories for the week titrated by weight loss and any decreased slope on recovery.

Basically, I focused on fully recovering, and worked what I was allowed to when I was allowed to... ALL of my pre-therapy eating was at 100% TDEE to properly fuel my healing, and I slowly returned to deficit as my physical activity increased.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Hi
    I have been reading your forum post for a few weeks now. I have been on New rules of lifting program in the middle of week 4. Its been awesome,
    The biggest challenge has been accurately logging but I have actually been using my food scale.
    I'm 5'8", 181. I calculated my daily intake @1800. Truthfully I have gone up a few hundred on extremely hungry days, but I have been honest, and I can see it better now that I am honest with myself about how much I have eaten, instead of ignoring the amount. This time around I can see how I didn't lose weight after so many years. I wasn't being honest with myself about how much I was eating. The scale has been everything.

So I want to say thank you for all of the great information and answering so many peoples questions

I have a few questions. I hurt my shoulder a couple of weeks ago. At first it was just a little pain, so I kept working out.
    Well now its gotten worse. I am gonna see the doc in a week And I am not gonna do any thing to exasperate the problem.

What do you think I can do to still keep my progress? Im not gonna do any shoulder lifts or pushups. Being able to actually do all the exercises is very motivational in itself.

Thank you.

@caterpillardreams I personally work through a lot of injuries at much lighter weights, but I think most people should take time off to heal because working through it can take longer to heal. Like the above suggestion I tend to eat close to maintenance to try to promote healing. Improving body composition to have a lean body take a while, so having a month or so at maintenance isn't going to hurt you in the long run.

As for exercises when the doctor gives you an idea of what you can do don't forget to ask about any type of physical therapy work to promote proper healing. It's not the same as lifting, but can be a great workout for you muscles anyway. You can stay on top of leg exercises and keep motivation going by at least switching to some machines. I look through the bodybuilding.com exercise data base from time to time for new ways to work muscles that don't strain injuries I currently have: https://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/