Anyone with problems, Lyle has a message

Excellent, have emailed on that addy :)

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    @anubis609 and @PAV8888 thanks for the links and the observations. You guys shook some thoughts loose in my head! Here's a couple -

All my closest relatives have died from the results of lifestyle choices (alcohol, tobacco) or complications of old age (my dad's pushing 90 and still goes to the gym and lifts 3 days a week), and I don't have any health markers that would pre-disposition me to anything in particular. I don't have any reason to tailor my weight/body fat goals to avoid any specific disease. I get to choose!

I've never in my life reached a weight goal and said "Score! Now to enjoy the results of my hard work!". I notice I'm not doing that now either, I'm stressing over what the next goal should be. The next goal should be learning how to maintain this healthy body in a way that becomes second nature, and experimenting with all the fun things I can do now that I'm lighter and stronger!

And oh that can be so difficult to have that as a goal.

Like I have a hard time keeping to an eating goal if the workouts aren't happening.
    Then again that could be a problem of liking to eat more.
    Or I keep attempting the "feed a cold" theory since that's what I get.

And I have the opposite issue. I tend to be especially strict if my schedule doesn’t permit me to have my workouts as I’d like. :smiley:

Must. Eat. More. Protein.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Did anyone get the PDF? Did you get it immediately? I want the hard copy but I'm also staying in tonight and wouldn't mind starting it...decisions decisions.
  • Psychgrrl
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    While these guys found that low overweight BMIs were good for longevity, especially in more recent decades:
    https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/1555137
    https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2520627

These guys published, in the summer of 2016, a "stick to normal bmi levels" review study:
    thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(16)30175-1/abstract

I find humor in all the studies on mortality rates. what I mean is that in the end, our mortality rate is going to be 100% :) I know that the best goal we can have is to live as long as we can and in the best health that we can, so of course, keeping an eye on things that are detrimental to our health is a good idea. I just find it humorous and rather ironic that some folks will spend all their time obsessing over over little thing that will possibly, maybe affect a .0X% of their mortality rate in the next 10 years instead of just enjoying their lives.

That's not pointed at any one person; I'm just making a random, general statement based upon comments I see on various articles and the way various articles are often sensationalized. I just think that instead of stressing out over the minuscule things, that most people would be far happier if they'd deal with the big issues in life and then enjoy their lives - you know, enjoy the forest instead of focusing on the trees..... lol

But that's just me waxing philosophical! And of course, I'm just as guilty as most other folks. for instance, just this morning, I was temporarily irked because most days, I eat right at or slightly over my calorie limit, but since I'm at or over, that means I don't get the "and was under her calorie goal" message when I close my diary. I know, its really stupid to let it irk me, even if it only lasts for 5 seconds or so, but I'm a rules follower, and I have this initial knee-jerk reaction when it comes to things my mind has perceived as "the rules" so when my brain sees something and categorizes it as a rule that I failed to achieve, I get a sense of guilt. Rationally, I know this is ridiculous; but emotions rarely care about being rational......Of course, that statement follows back on to why so many folks stress over the minors :) So I'm just as guilty as everyone else!

anubis609 wrote: »
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    @anubis609 I think that all I have concluded from the above studies is that it is too close to call anytime you have a combined lean mass and body fat amount around the high normal level. Plus or minus a couple of points.

In other words other considerations maybe more important at that point of time.

Wholeheartedly agree.

In other news, I'm apparently a glutton for punishment. I mosey into various keto threads (or literally get "summoned" on occasion) and the misinformation is astounding. I'd rather practice Olympic lifts for 4 hours. Is that so much to ask for?

oh, so you caught that you were mentioned in the "keto means not counting calories" thread! *grins*

I saw this thread this morning that you guys might find interesting:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10635955/lyle-mcdonald-legit-or-fos

OMG—we are two peas! Though my solution ages ago was to stop closing out my diary. Haven’t done it in years. It’s weird that knowing it in my head doesn’t bother me, but having something point it out does. I’m an odd duck, I embrace it. Just like my age. @PAV8888 I won’t ever call you out on that so just unleash it if you need to. :wink:
  • Psychgrrl
    Options
    Lyle's breaking the internet. Apparently his announcement sent the site into errors for some people lol. Good luck. There are signed and regular versions.

And the kindle version’s $50. That’s the price of a few “regular” books for me. I’ll forgo the murder mysteries next month. I get paid on Wednesday!!!!!
  • bbell1985
    Options
    I kind of blinked at the price but I am someone who has paid for a coach on a monthly basis. This is a one time payment for information you'll use for a lifetime.
  • Psychgrrl
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I kind of blinked at the price but I am someone who has paid for a coach on a monthly basis. This is a one time payment for information you'll use for a lifetime.

Exactly! I have teachers at the yoga studio, but train myself at the gym. For what I spend monthly on memberships, I should be willing to rearrange my funds to make that time (and my health) as optimal as possible.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »

Exactly! I have teachers at the yoga studio, but train myself at the gym. For what I spend monthly on memberships, I should be willing to rearrange my funds to make that time (and my health) as optimal as possible.

Yeah. Plus it just seems like an entertaining read. Totally worth the money. I want the pdf and the hard copy though...I don't know if I can cough up 70
  • Psychgrrl
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »

Yeah. Plus it just seems like an entertaining read. Totally worth the money. I want the pdf and the hard copy though...I don't know if I can cough up 70

I’ll go with the kindle. I like sneaking reading breaks on my phone. Never know when you’ll get held up, especially in SoCal traffic. :grimace:
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I'm getting the hard copy because I hate using reference materials that I flip back and forth in on electronic platforms. Since I figure I'll be referring to the book a lot, I want to make accessing the information in it easy for myself. Since I'm apparently part luddite, hard copy it is.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    I got both, so I can read on my Kindle or laptop, or I can pick up the hardcopy if I want to be flicking back and forth. I like to have my bases covered!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Did anyone get the PDF? Did you get it immediately? I want the hard copy but I'm also staying in tonight and wouldn't mind starting it...decisions decisions.

As soon as you purchase the pdf version and you’ve created an account, you can go to the download area and download immediately :)
  • bbell1985
    Options

As soon as you purchase the pdf version and you’ve created an account, you can go to the download area and download immediately :)

Yeah...people on his facebook page said they are still unable to download it.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I got the PDF, which I'm going to print out. A friend works at a facility that has an industrial printer, so I can have that at a deep discount. I wouldn't have minded paying 20 extra for a physical copy, but the shipping costs can get as expensive as the book itself if not more (books are heavy, especially this one) and take ages to arrive.

edit: as for the download, I was able to download it without problems from the link that was sent to my email.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

Yeah...people on his facebook page said they are still unable to download it.

No idea about PDF but my Kindle copy is currently downloading fine.

Also, damn you're looking good, girl!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Reading about diet breaks :D
  • tar2323
    tar2323 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Re Kyle's book - can you not purchase a PDF copy and convert a copy for Kindle use with Calibre?
  • HDBKLM
    HDBKLM Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Presumably that could happen @tar2323, but if I'm not mistaken people on this thread are buying either the PDF or the Kindle but not both. I think those who are buying two versions are getting the hard copy as the other version.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Darn! I have kindle for PC and it won't download it. Keep getting error message when I try to drag it in there to open it. Going to email bodyrecomp now...argh! Unless I am doing something wrong? Oh...it worked, I just closed and opened the Kindle app...no more alarm...emergency over, phew!

Gonna read some tonight.