What nobody tells you about losing weight

Options

Replies

• EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    jesslla wrote: »
    That knowing that you lose weight everywhere and seeing it in the mirror are two totally different things.

I've been focused on my belly, because that's where I carry my weight. This morning I was doing my hair, when I looked at my upper arms. They haven't changed diameter wise while measuring with a tape measure, so I didn't really think I was losing there yet.

But they have gone from being smooth and round (with bingo wings) when raised to having defined arms, with thinner bingo wings that are still just as long as they used to be, just thinner. I did a double take, turned off my blow dryer, and spent a few moments looking at and feeling my arms when I noticed that.

I wonder how thin the bingo wings will get before the diameter starts to shrink. I don't even care if the skin sags, I expect it to some actually.

A tip for arms if you have bingo wings that I use: tighten the tape when you measure as much as you can. When you're losing fat there, the amount of fat that can be squished decreases and this leads to a change in measurements that you can track.

Oooooooooh! That's a good tip. I've just been pulling it snug, but letting things hang too. Thanks! I'll do that and compare it to when I first started, because my arms were pretty smooth then.
  • gymprincess1234
    gymprincess1234 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    That knowing that you lose weight everywhere and seeing it in the mirror are two totally different things.

I've been focused on my belly, because that's where I carry my weight. This morning I was doing my hair, when I looked at my upper arms. They haven't changed diameter wise while measuring with a tape measure, so I didn't really think I was losing there yet.

But they have gone from being smooth and round (with bingo wings) when raised to having defined arms, with thinner bingo wings that are still just as long as they used to be, just thinner. I did a double take, turned off my blow dryer, and spent a few moments looking at and feeling my arms when I noticed that.

I wonder how thin the bingo wings will get before the diameter starts to shrink. I don't even care if the skin sags, I expect it to some actually.

A tip for arms if you have bingo wings that I use: tighten the tape when you measure as much as you can. When you're losing fat there, the amount of fat that can be squished decreases and this leads to a change in measurements that you can track.

Oooooooooh! That's a good tip. I've just been pulling it snug, but letting things hang too. Thanks! I'll do that and compare it to when I first started, because my arms were pretty smooth then.

Interesting, I always measured when flexing my biceps, at the biggest part of it.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Interesting, I always measured when flexing my biceps, at the biggest part of it.

That's a pretty valid way of doing it, but may not work for those who have lost a good deal of weight and had fat arms like me. There can be loose skin and more fat left to lose weighing it down, which can't be easily pulled up by flexing.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    imfornd wrote: »
    RivenV wrote: »
    People are gonna criticize you from not being like them anymore - they will tell you you re no fun because you pass up on the beer and fatty food - and while everyone is eating like *kitten* you are preparing your own meals and they will laugh - then at 11pm at night vie a text they will secretly ask you what your secret is and if you can write them up a workout plan and a diet

I hardly call opening a bottle of premier protein or unwrapping kirkland protein bar "preparing your own meals," but I guess it takes all kinds! ;)

oh you again LOL - brother you need to find a hobbie

LMAO
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    People are gonna criticize you from not being like them anymore - they will tell you you re no fun because you pass up on the beer and fatty food - and while everyone is eating like *kitten* you are preparing your own meals and they will laugh - then at 11pm at night vie a text they will secretly ask you what your secret is and if you can write them up a workout plan and a diet

I hardly call opening a bottle of premier protein or unwrapping kirkland protein bar "preparing your own meals," but I guess it takes all kinds! ;)

I was already in this thread from way back, so I get a notification anytime someone posts something new.

Sorry for having a memory that spans >24 hours. I'll try to be better in the future if you try to be actually accurate with what you post.

Be nice. I'm sure that @imfornd was just joshin' ya.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »

I was already in this thread from way back, so I get a notification anytime someone posts something new.

Sorry for having a memory that spans >24 hours. I'll try to be better in the future if you try to be actually accurate with what you post.

Be nice. I'm sure that @imfornd was just joshin' ya.

That was me being nice.

And thank you for qualifying your statement, imfornd. Sincerely, I do appreciate it.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!