February 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @bride001 me too. There is group doing 0 to 5K our group is doing 5K to 10K and performance improvement plan. They do speed work and hill work which I never do. I adore my friend Lynda so when she asked if I was interested I was like yep. At the start they showed a film on being afraid and we wrote down what we were afraid of and burned them. After our run we had bible study. Some didn't stay and they are fine with that. I did and enjoyed it. Group aged from college to retirement men and woman.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    If I had followed that very common advice, I never would have run at all. For me at least, and I think for most beginner runners, there initially was no pace at which I could run and talk. I can run very slowly and talk now, after about six months, but I'm still not up to singing.

Walking at a brisk pace is a great option when starting out. When I started getting fit after buying a Fitbit, I didn't start by running, I started by walking. First walking with my regular speed, then power walking, then adding hiking into the mix. After walking exclusively for 2 months, I ran an impromptu 5k which I had intended to walk. Other than stopping for traffic a few times, I ran the whole route. Very slowly, but I ran it.

For a many people, myself included, the best way to start running is to start walking, which is a great cardio exercise in itself. I was borderline obese when I started. Now I'm borderline overweight. I don't think I could have gotten into running had I started running before walking.

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    If I had followed that very common advice, I never would have run at all. For me at least, and I think for most beginner runners, there initially was no pace at which I could run and talk. I can run very slowly and talk now, after about six months, but I'm still not up to singing.

Walking at a brisk pace is a great option when starting out. When I started getting fit after buying a Fitbit, I didn't start by running, I started by walking. First walking with my regular speed, then power walking, then adding hiking into the mix. After walking exclusively for 2 months, I ran an impromptu 5k which I had intended to walk. Other than stopping for traffic a few times, I ran the whole route. Very slowly, but I ran it.

For a many people, myself included, the best way to start running is to start walking, which is a great cardio exercise in itself.

I could walk all day when I started running, and running was very very different in terms of cardio.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

For a many people, myself included, the best way to start running is to start walking, which is a great cardio exercise in itself.

I could walk all day when I started running, and running was very very different in terms of cardio.

Just like running at different paces you can walk at different paces. I too could walk all day long before, but when I walked for fitness, I walked fast enough to raise my heart rate, which is key. Raising your heart rate, over time, causes your body to made physiological adaptations which allow it to utilize more of the oxygen in the air you breathe in and get it to your muscles faster, increasing your cardiovascular efficiency. Absent those adaptations your brain tells your lungs to breath faster to get more air through to feed the muscles the oxygen they need to work.

• hjeppley
    hjeppley Posts: 230 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    misssiri wrote: »
    Goal for February 150 miles. I better step it up! I'm only at 27 so far.

Big Goal: Indiana Trail 100K 10/13/2018

I don't know if I can actually do all those long distances because of recovery periods. We shall see...

I am hoping to do the 50 miler at the Indiana Trail! Maybe see you there! My schedule is also pretty aggressive (though not as aggressive as yours :smile:) . I am going to hold off registering for some of them until I make it through my 50K (and maybe the spring trail marathon).
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    No run today. Grrrr. Meetings.