Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

mmapags wrote: »
    fb47 wrote: »
    pdxhak wrote: »
    I have been low carb for 2 years and have made good gains and lost plenty of fat. I am not strict keto due to eating more protein but still consume plenty of fat and limit carb intake.
    But you can't say for sure you wouldn't have made more gains on keto. Nobody said that you can't make gains on keto, but most studies show that keto is the least optimal for preserving muscle loss on a fat loss.

Cite those studies. I would love to read them since I'm someone who has been doing keto for 3+ years and have preserved + gained muscle and lost fat under the diet.

http://sci-fit.net/2017/ketogenic-diet-fat-muscle-performance/

(where is that eyeroll icon??)

Not getting into the debate. But for future reference..

facepalm.gif

• tolorii
    tolorii Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I love carbs, and I love to bake (with flour and sugar lol), so at first glance keto is a no for me. BUT I'm trying it out at the moment for the mental clarity and focus that a lot of people rave about in ketosis (I'm studying web development and it's a very intense course). I do find my energy levels are more even, and I don't get hungry very often - when I do, I can see it coming from far enough away that it's not likely to reach scary levels of HANGER. I have been pretty interested to see that compared with just reducing calories and regular exercise with no regard for macros, weight is practically melting off me whereas with the former approach it was a HARD STRUGGLE to get those numbers to move. I get heaps of fibre, still having bowel movements pretty much every day. I may move to a cyclical keto approach in the future.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    tolorii wrote: »
    I love carbs, and I love to bake (with flour and sugar lol), so at first glance keto is a no for me. BUT I'm trying it out at the moment for the mental clarity and focus that a lot of people rave about in ketosis (I'm studying web development and it's a very intense course). I do find my energy levels are more even, and I don't get hungry very often - when I do, I can see it coming from far enough away that it's not likely to reach scary levels of HANGER. I have been pretty interested to see that compared with just reducing calories and regular exercise with no regard for macros, weight is practically melting off me whereas with the former approach it was a HARD STRUGGLE to get those numbers to move. I get heaps of fibre, still having bowel movements pretty much every day. I may move to a cyclical keto approach in the future.

if you are losing more weight now compared to before its probably because you have a bigger deficit this time around.and if you have no regard for macros how do you know how much fat you are getting and is it enough to be in ketosis? fat,carbs and protein are all macros

Fat isn't what determines ketosis, lack of carbs determines ketosis.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »

if you are losing more weight now compared to before its probably because you have a bigger deficit this time around.and if you have no regard for macros how do you know how much fat you are getting and is it enough to be in ketosis? fat,carbs and protein are all macros

Exactly right.

The only exception seems to MCT oils which get changed to ketones very readily. Otherwise ketosis comes from low carbs or very low calories (which often means low carbs).

Ketogenic diets can be moderate fat and higher protein, which could lower your ketone levels somewhat, but that will often not be an issue for people unless they want high ketones for medical reasons.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

well yeah that but your body needs fat to make ketones,fat is the preferred energy source.and still another claim stating that a person lost more weight on keto than on a regular diet. and if not paying any mind to macros how in the world is anyone going to know if they are getting enough fat to fuel their body? how do they know if they are low carb if they dont count? wouldnt it be hard to get a lot of fiber in a low carb diet?

• fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options

Not exactly, protein can't be high either. If I am not mistaken, protein makes up less than 20% of your calories. The advantage of keto is that it makes you feel full which is good for the undisciplined who will binge whenever they eat. On the downside, keto doesn't help a person understand anything about macros, they figure they just have to restrict one macro and that's it, everything is solved. In reality, nothing is solved...sure there's a good chance they lose weight, but at what cost. Many ketoers (not all of course) simply restrict the carbs just for the sake of losing weight, but sometimes the deficit is so big that without knowing, it's eating away their muscles. I see it a lot on this website people claiming that "that keto" directly made them lose weight. I cringe when someone says that because it only shows me that they have no clue how CICO works and they reject that theory....it reminds me of people who still think the world is flat because that's how "they see it" regardless of all the scientific evidence.

With that said, someone who does keto, who enjoys a keto diet and understand + accepts the basics of CICO....those people I have no issues with because they simply use keto diet as a tool to lose weight and that's ok.....but someone who does keto out pure ignorance and then spreads bs information about keto, that is just wrong, it gives bad information to people who do not know any better.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options

Not exactly, protein can't be high either. If I am not mistaken, protein makes up less than 20% of your calories. The advantage of keto is that it makes you feel full which is good for the undisciplined who will binge whenever they eat. On the downside, keto doesn't help a person understand anything about macros, they figure they just have to restrict one macro and that's it, everything is solved. In reality, nothing is solved...sure there's a good chance they lose weight, but at what cost. Many ketoers (not all of course) simply restrict the carbs just for the sake of losing weight, but sometimes the deficit is so big that without knowing, it's eating away their muscles. I see it a lot on this website people claiming that "that keto" directly made them lose weight. I cringe when someone says that because it only shows me that they have no clue how CICO works and they reject that theory....it reminds me of people who still think the world is flat because that's how "they see it" regardless of all the scientific evidence.

With that said, someone who does keto, who enjoys a keto diet and understand + accepts the basics of CICO....those people I have no issues with because they simply use keto diet as a tool to lose weight and that's ok.....but someone who does keto out pure ignorance and then spreads bs information about keto, that is just wrong, it gives bad information to people who do not know any better.

There are multiple types of keto, but even the modified keto diet doesn't restrict protein that much. It's often recommended to go to 20 or 25% of their calories. Ideally, that would fall within the range of 1.5 to 2.2g/kg.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    If CICO wasn't that simple, all people would have to do to lose weight is eat only fatty foods without limits....but how is it that they would still gain weight by doing that? Oh right, CICO which is why people post on mfp their frustrations over their weight gain on keto. They fail to realize that they still need to do CICO. And if you're someone who works out, keto is the worst diet you can do to preserve muscles. Studies after studies show it. There's a reason why athletes like Michael Phelps eat a ton of carbs and are not asked by their trainers to go on a ketogenic diet.

Not personally for or against keto, but not realistic to bring someone who was/is in the top .00001% or so of the world's population as a athlete in as example for anything. I'm pretty sure the average 40 year old that lifts 3-4 times a week and runs a bit could fuel fine on a keto diet.

99% of athletes use high carb diets, why do you think they do it? Just for fun? NHL players for example eat a lot of pasta...wether it's Phelps or some 4th liner in the NHL, what they all have in common is they eat a *kitten* load of carbs. How is it that in Asia, the people are small and thin despite being a continent that eat a lot of carbs (especially rice)?

Could it be they need 5000+ calories a day due to their activity level? Again, not picking sides in the discussion, but a typical person, working out maybe an hour a day, a super high carb diet isn't required to support the activity.

In many parts of Asia traditionally there has been high levels of poverty and manual labor. Now as incomes increase and less manual labor, the obesity levels are increasing. This article states China now has a larger % of obese individuals vs the US.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/benjaminshobert/2017/01/22/chinas-growing-obesity-problem/#39fa3ff06ecf