Ketogenic diet

Options

Replies

• amselby81
    amselby81 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    It is calories that count the most when it comes to weight loss. But I find that I consume fewer calories, and feel fuller when I'm eating low carb. I still eat carbs sometimes, but I eat them in moderation. I eat bread, but I eat the Aldi sprouted grain bread, because the glycemic index is lower. The slices are smaller, but it's pretty dense and filling. 60 calories per slice. It's awesome.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    amselby81 wrote: »
    It is calories that count the most when it comes to weight loss. But I find that I consume fewer calories, and feel fuller when I'm eating low carb.

I think this is absolutely the right reason to low carb or keto or cut carbs or whatever, if you find this is true for you. I think people only object if it's claimed that this works for everyone, that everyone finds the same foods or ways of eating satiating, or that it somehow works separate from calories.

I would totally recommend trying changing up macros and cutting refined carbs and maybe even trying low carb for someone struggling with a calorie goal, as I think it does work for a number of people. (I find low calories, which I am not doing now (I'm at maintenance and lost most of my weight around 1600 cal, but I did do 1250 cal when I first started), easier at around 100 g carbs or less).
    I still eat carbs sometimes, but I eat them in moderation. I eat bread, but I eat the Aldi sprouted grain bread, because the glycemic index is lower. The slices are smaller, but it's pretty dense and filling. 60 calories per slice. It's awesome.

I can't imagine any sprouted grain bread is actually low carb, though (bread shouldn't be, IMO). When I did keto I wouldn't have been able to fit in any bread -- I had a pretty high limit compared to what I see many doing (I aimed for around 60 or 65 g total, 35 g net), and basically could fit in a lot of vegetables (which for me is a non negotiable -- and YES, vegetables are carbs), some nuts and seeds, and some dairy (greek yogurt and cottage cheese, obviously cheese fit just fine). Even fruit would have been an issue (other than avocado), black soy beans worked, but no other beans, and grains and tubers were out.

Just mentioning this since reducing carbs some, which is what you seem to be talking about, or looking at GI (although I agree with Anvil on that) is not the same as doing keto.
  • K3rB3ar89
    K3rB3ar89 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Yes! I love keto! I love the energy, mental clarity and food selection! There's variations of everything you can make and it helps you reduce your calories. Also helps water weight and inflammation. But as others said its not for everyone and some people feel easier low cal. I have had success with both but enjoy how i feel on keto and find I'm eating and thinking about food less. Fuller longer. Good luck in whatever you choose tho. And wouldn't hurt to try and see if it works for you:)