Ketogenic diet

Options

Replies

• Mikeg_1000
    Mikeg_1000 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Its a yes for me

There are many ways round restricted foods, replace Noodles with Spiraled Zucchini, replace Flour with Almond or Coconut flour, eat SUGAR FREE Ice Cream, the list go on.

Lost 25kg with help MyFitnessPal lost another 5kg and centimetres from my waist on Keto, only eat 2 times day have plenty energy for early am work-out,
  • Sober_Is_Sexy
    Sober_Is_Sexy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Nah, because it's not something I could maintain for the rest of my life.
  • Mazintrov13
    Mazintrov13 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I did keto for a couple of months over a year ago. Now, this is my experience, but I absolutely hated it. I was tired, lethargic, weak, had headaches, had zero stamina at the gym. I was in ketosis (I was testing with the strips frequently), but I felt depleted. I supplemented with magnesium and potassium and nothing worked with my energy levels. On top of that, I didn't lose a single pound. I rage quit the thing, and started eating all the carbs. All the good, delicious carbs, and my energy increased, my workouts got better, and I no longer felt like I was walking in a fog. Again, this is just my experience, but I would never do it again. I'm tracking macros and seeing results without cutting anything out. You have to find what works for you, but keto was not it for me.

My experience was exactly the same.
    I tried everything to feel good on this diet, magnesium, more fat, more salt, different supplements I think it just isn’t the WOE for me. I honestly felt pretty miserable.
    I have since discovered I am more of a volume eater and feel full with lots of fibre and protein over fat, where as some people thrive on the high fat low carb diets.
    I was so disappointed when it didn’t work for me! I was only trying to lose a little bit of fat and I didn’t lose anything because I found it so hard to feel satieted on my calorie limit.
    You read so many rave reviews on this diet though, some even make some pretty unbelievable claims. It clearly works for some I guess.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    sgtx81 wrote: »
    yes if you like it and it works and you make sure to take care of your micronutrients, no if you don't like it or can't do it responsibly. I lost over 70 pounds in like three months on keto and I loved it and would not be opposed to going back on it. I'm not doing it now because I'm unclear about how it would affect gaining muscle. It depends on the person, but personally, I would suggest anyone at least give it a go and see if it's for them.

so you are saying you lost almost 24lbs(23.33lbs or 7/10+ of a lb per day) a month? were you obese?(not trying to offend here). you must have had a really high deficit and low amount of calories which will cause lean mass to be lost.
  • CircleJerkk
    CircleJerkk Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I did it for a month, did everything I was supposed to, but probably took a dump 5 times in the whole month. It sucked. I'm back on paleo and feel much more alive.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    N=1 is the the only N that counts in the end.

Not when one is using the results to advise what everyone else should be doing. Especially, when one does not understanding why something is or is not working...

I think we are all in full agreement on both of your points.

This week I set in on a meeting with a family and their MD and two of his staff members concerning removing one from life support. He covered a lot of n=xxxx stats during the long meeting but in the end the MD brought it back to being all about n=1.

One factor of many that came down to a n=1 was would the patient be willing to modify their eat and lifestyle in general if the high risk surgery was performed successfully?

The answer was NO so now the family as a funeral to attend. This person was aware of n=xxxxxx research but knowingly selected a thinking, eating and moving lifestyle known to lead to a premature death. Many in the family are health care professionals yet still their left and right brains were in a struggle in that meeting. At the funeral they will be saying this event for this person should have been 10-20 years down the road.

Yes we all love data where n=100,000 but in the end n=1 is on only thing that counts if one is a living organism instead of steam engine.

Weight loss and improving health markers in general will always boil down to n=1 to determine success or failure. Just because a WOE is right for one does not meant it right for anyone else in the world. Some seem to forget just because a certain WOE is wrong for them that it MIGHT be the right WOE for someone else.

n=1 is actually the Big Picture of Life for each one of us.

I think you missed my point...

And most other points. Big surprise....
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Keto works for me; and
    Weight Watchers works for me; and
    CICO works for me

I mix it up between the 3 to keep my food intake interesting with the goal being to not gain and stay in maintenance.

FWIW - I probably do CICO 80-90% of the time.