What Is A Fitness Goal You Have That You Don't Typically Share?

Replies

• goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Normally I don't share because the people I know tend to disbelieve/discount and I'm tired of proving I'm on the path.

Tons of respect btw. No way I could do one arm.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited March 2018
    goatg wrote: »
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Get through the Lake Placid 13.1 without any injuries/problems.
    Sub 3:00 at Tinman Tupper Lake Olympic. Doable, if I'm smart. I think.
    A sub 2:45 at Xterra Syracuse. Probably a stretch, but I refuse to bump it up to 3 hours.

Are you doing the LP half this year?
    I'm actually thinking of signing up for Quassy or Syracuse in June. Just for the hills and fun. Have you done either?

I'm not doing LP. I've done each leg in the past for fun, but I've never raced up there. I'm also not in 70.3 shape... So there's that.
    I've not done Quassy, but I have done Syracuse. Decent event. Nothing noteworthy either way on the swim or the bike, but the run is tough. At least it was for me, lol.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    I want to win the Tour de France and the Super Bowl.

In the same year.

World Series too.

(I Can Dream, Dammit.)

You forgot this championship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLtJFu5C5es

I'm so trying this tomorrow

HA! I got a bunch of folks in my gym to try it. Hilarious - muscley guys and gals falling on their faces.

eta: and me too of course. :blush:

I was introduced to this game at a party a few years back. Suffice it to say that I was lucky not to end up with a broken nose. :)
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    To enter a 5k. I can run it indoors, outdoors is different.

Do a handstand and an unassisted pull up.

Do 100 lb upper body lifts- bench press, overhead press, bent over row

Complete my flying lizard and mermaid poses.
  • Djproulx
    A sub 2:45 at Xterra Syracuse. Probably a stretch, but I refuse to bump it up to 3 hours.

I'm actually thinking of signing up for Quassy or Syracuse in June. Just for the hills and fun. Have you done either?

I'm not doing LP. I've done each leg in the past for fun, but I've never raced up there. I'm also not in 70.3 shape... So there's that.
    I've not done Quassy, but I have done Syracuse. Decent event. Nothing noteworthy either way on the swim or the bike, but the run is tough. At least it was for me, lol.

I've done the Quassy Olympic before twice and I"m registered for the Half this year. The scenery is beautiful and the course is tough. There is 3810 feet of elevation change spread throughout the bike course. Many athletes race the Half at Rev3 Quassy as a tune up for IRONMAN Lake Placid because it is at a perfect time in training (7 weeks before IMLP) and there is more elevation gain at Quassy than there is in one loop of Lake Placid. I've heard many friends say that if you can handle Quassy, you're ready for IMLP. I've ridden both bike courses and agree.

• Djproulx
    Rowing a sub 7 minute 2K at the World Indoor Rowing Championships at 55 and placing in the top five in the world for my age group.

Wow. Nice. That makes me tired just reading about it! :)
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    To bench 300lb raw and 400lb in a shirt. Nice long term goals.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    My fitness goals.

1. 20 chest to floor burpees in a row without stopping to winge.
    2. <9min mile (recently managed 9:15)
    3. <30 5km (at 31:15)
    4. <2:30 half marathon (pr is 2:45 but on course with training to do <2:20)
    5. Complete a full marathon (in April)
    6. Complete an Ultra before I'm 50 (got just under 4 years for that one)
    7. Master shoulder push ups (they bloody hurt) so I can do more than 10 without having a tantrum.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Make it last longer than 3.6s
  • swebb1103
    swebb1103 Posts: 200 Member
    My short term goal is one pull up by end of June.
    Long term - learn to swim so I can do a Tri.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Rowing a sub 7 minute 2K at the World Indoor Rowing Championships at 55 and placing in the top five in the world for my age group.

A friend of mine was to compete in Boston last Sunday for top 10 in the world (age group). Trained all year. Coach was there. Family emergency the day before and he had to fly out.

Having trained 600 hours last year just to shave 10 seconds off my 2K time (which is a lot, but still!), I can't imagine that disappointment he must have felt. This year went well for me. Last year, I was just as fast and then got sick with the flu 3 times in 3 months! I have 10 to 15 more seconds to shave off my time in two years. If I shave 20 off, I might get on the podium, perhaps, but the competition is getting harder every year. Just this year, one guy rowed a 6:01 in the 50 to 54 Hwt group, setting a new WR. That's just insane (Olympians row roughly 5:45 in their prime).

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    mij140 wrote: »
    To be able to sit on my left foot again. I had surgery in September for a shredded ACL and a torn MCL/meniscus. Definitely a long and stressful process.

I had this 11 years ago plus a knee so bad the docs wanted to do a knee replacement. You're much younger than I am and with patience, you can come back as far as you want. Took me a year and a half to even walk again. I have such flexibility now in it that one doc told me I may never need a replacement (though I think I probably will in my 60s). They are also doing incredible things now with stem cells taken from your own body and injected back into the joint.

• goatg
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Make it last longer than 3.6s

It's technically a ring.

kiyvmzxqwyb1.jpg

• goatg
    Djproulx wrote: »

I've done the Quassy Olympic before twice and I"m registered for the Half this year. The scenery is beautiful and the course is tough. There is 3810 feet of elevation change spread throughout the bike course. Many athletes race the Half at Rev3 Quassy as a tune up for IRONMAN Lake Placid because it is at a perfect time in training (7 weeks before IMLP) and there is more elevation gain at Quassy than there is in one loop of Lake Placid. I've heard many friends say that if you can handle Quassy, you're ready for IMLP. I've ridden both bike courses and agree.

Really appreciate the useful feedback! I think I'll do it! As long as it doesn't conflict with my June tri camp :)
  • goatg

A friend of mine was to compete in Boston last Sunday for top 10 in the world (age group). Trained all year. Coach was there. Family emergency the day before and he had to fly out.

Having trained 600 hours last year just to shave 10 seconds off my 2K time (which is a lot, but still!), I can't imagine that disappointment he must have felt. This year went well for me. Last year, I was just as fast and then got sick with the flu 3 times in 3 months! I have 10 to 15 more seconds to shave off my time in two years. If I shave 20 off, I might get on the podium, perhaps, but the competition is getting harder every year. Just this year, one guy rowed a 6:01 in the 50 to 54 Hwt group, setting a new WR. That's just insane (Olympians row roughly 5:45 in their prime).

The family issues were so overshadowing that he still doesn't even care about rowing....Just to put the issues in perspective :/

I don't row so I can't place it in perspective but it sounds really tough! Best of luck, health, and discipline : )
  • betty_veronica4
    betty_veronica4 Posts: 196 Member
    To do a 5K without feeling like I am going to die.
  • AndOne8675
    AndOne8675 Posts: 151 Member
    Be able to do assisted pullups on the least resistant band...then do them all on my own.
    Then climb a rope.
  • PRINCESSROJA
    PRINCESSROJA Posts: 13 Member
    Do a three-minute plank... that was the strength benchmark in my college dance program and I could never do it, always bottomed out around 1 minute. Do a real push-up. Do crow pose successfully.