3/4: Rest
    3/5: 3.1
    3/6: 2.43

Total: 10.84/25
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    *insert frownie face*

Playing with Marathon Pace Predictors... according to all of them I am still to fat and slow to have a good shot at breaking 4 hours. Grrr.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    3/1 6.86miles
    3/2 rest
    3/3 10miles
    3/4 rest
    3/5 6.57miles
    3/6 5miles

An easy 5 miler today. A bit chilly, but no wind so it felt good!

3/18/2018 Shamrock half marathon
    10/7/2018 Crawlin Crab half marathon
    10/13/2018 Joggin for Frogmen 5K
    11/18/2018 Norfolk Harbor half marathon
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    *insert frownie face*

Playing with Marathon Pace Predictors... according to all of them I am still to fat and slow to have a good shot at breaking 4 hours. Grrr.

What kind of predictors are you using??? You are totally going to CRUSH that goal.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    *insert frownie face*

What kind of predictors are you using??? You are totally going to CRUSH that goal.

These are some I tried:

https://www.runnersworld.com/tools/race-time-predictor
    https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/marathon-calculator/
    http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2014/10/running_calculator_introducing_slate_s_marathon_time_predictor_a_better.html

Thing is I need figure out what pace to START the race so was hoping a predictor would help. Instead, it just made me all frownie.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    *insert frownie face*

Have you used the Daniels Tables spreadsheet? I've found that to be very accurate for me, though you need your HR data (ETA: Actually you don't need HR data, having it helps you get a better overall picture)

For a 4 hour marathon, that averages out to a 9:09 pace as I recall. When I went for my 4 hour goal, I tried to hit and even 9:00 pace throughout the race, to allow for not hitting the tangents perfect, water stops, etc.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Sparx_81 wrote: »
    Only signed up yesterday but still to start as husband was late home from work so I didn't have anyone to watch the toddlebeasts!

Haha "toddlebeasts"! Something to run from! And then too because you miss the little creeps!

@TattooedDolphinGirl78 Regarding shin splints. Everything I've come across says too much too fast. Maybe add more walking in lieu of running?
    ETA How are your running surfaces? Cambored any? Stick to flat and don't run the track same way repeatedly.

Shin splints are horrible. I just find the knot that developed, apply a bit of pressure with two fingers and flex/extend the foot several time. It works the knot out. (Mines always medial, the inside of shin bone.) I think patience wins this injury. Who freekin has time for that, right?

----
    Something y'all probably already know. ...
    I watched Icarus on Netflix last night. It's been know for decades that the Russians cheated/doped in the Olympics. I was surprised that it all finally came out in such detail (I don't watch news). Sad story really, the way it was putin people harm's way.

Good watch if anyone has the time.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @pastorvincent if you're not familiar with the Daniels' Training Tables, you can find info, and a link to an Excel spreasheet, here:

http://www.electricblues.com/html/runpro.html

This is a data geeks dream. When I was running more paved races, I found it to be a great tool. It told me I was ready for a 4 hr marathon, but I ended up getting fatiguing around the 22 mile mark and finished 4:09. I attribute this to an Achilles stain 5 weeks prior to the race, which took me out of training for two and a half weeks.

I have what I think is accurate HR data as inputs. I check this against my training runs/paces and unless I'm sick, tired, or overtrained, it provides good feedback to where I'm at with my fitness. It's easy to get lost in all this info and it takes time to sort it out. Not recommended for new runners.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    March goal: Run END-SURE well, stay healthy and enter the final stages of Zumbro training
    Nominal mileage goal: Let's say 140? I really don't know. Real plan is to follow training and coach's advice well.

3/1- REST
    3/2- 4.3
    3/3- 13.3
    3/4- 14.3
    3/5- REST
    3/6- 7.4

Total: 39.3

Today's notes: Hit the road for hill repeats this morning. I had an 0800 meeting I needed to get to, and running trail was not an option. Assignment was 14x1min hill repeats at 10/10 effort. I think I did pretty well on that. All of my reps clocked in with sub-7 pace. Overall, my run was a little slower than the last time I ran it, but a lot of that was the fact that I was going slower going back down hill after the uphill efforts. Felt like I was cheating a little, but that's what I get for going road.

As a side note, I hate waiting.

2018 races
    3/24- END-SURE 50k
    4/13- Zumbro Endurance Race 100 Mile
    7/28- Minnesota Voyageur 50
    9/8- Superior Trail 50 mile
    10/20- Wild Duluth 50k
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @pastorvincent if you're not familiar with the Daniels' Training Tables, you can find info, and a link to an Excel spreasheet, here:

http://www.electricblues.com/html/runpro.html

This is a data geeks dream. When I was running more paved races, I found it to be a great tool. It told me I was ready for a 4 hr marathon, but I ended up getting fatiguing around the 22 mile mark and finished 4:09. I attribute this to an Achilles stain 5 weeks prior to the race, which took me out of training for two and a half weeks.

I have what I think is accurate HR data as inputs. I check this against my training runs/paces and unless I'm sick, tired, or overtrained, it provides good feedback to where I'm at with my fitness. It's easy to get lost in all this info and it takes time to sort it out. Not recommended for new runners.

To follow along on this, I use my "estimated" 10k PR in the table, and it gives me a 5k and mile time that are slower than my "estimated" mile PR and my recorded 5kPR. I can't really compare to my HM and marathon times though since those times are from before I started training with my coach, and I've made HUGE gains.
  • lporter229
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    *insert frownie face*

Have you used the Daniels Tables spreadsheet? I've found that to be very accurate for me, though you need your HR data (ETA: Actually you don't need HR data, having it helps you get a better overall picture)

For a 4 hour marathon, that averages out to a 9:09 pace as I recall. When I went for my 4 hour goal, I tried to hit and even 9:00 pace throughout the race, to allow for not hitting the tangents perfect, water stops, etc.

So much nerd candy in those Daniels' Tables. When I was training for (read "obsessed with") my marathon PR, I was addicted to those tables and I found them to be surprisingly accurate based on HR and LT data.

@PastorVincent -Unless you have a very recent race that you ran all out, I don't think that you can use race results as an adequate predictor because it seems like you have been training a ton and have probably made huge gains. Didn't you say you have a HM coming up that you would like to race hard? Assuming no unforeseen race day issues, that will probably give you a better prediction of how you can expect to perform in your marathon.
  • lporter229
    Options
    @shanaber- Listen to your daughter...she is a wise one!