March 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    So I'm not sure if I want to run much anymore. Like I want to do my races but I can't seem to run outside those. Yesterday I thought about my run all day at work but got home and was just like I can't. And sat on the couch. Lifting is easier to do when I get home. Working out before work is not really a possibility as I already get up at 5 am and struggle with that. Blah.

Some days you just can't. Make sure you're eating enough of the right things (for me it's protein and iron) and getting enough sleep and not coming down with something.
  • Sparx_81
    Sparx_81 Posts: 403 Member
    Options

Oh my god.. I couldn't read much of that! FFS... How can people even think like this?!
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    So I'm not sure if I want to run much anymore. Like I want to do my races but I can't seem to run outside those. Yesterday I thought about my run all day at work but got home and was just like I can't. And sat on the couch. Lifting is easier to do when I get home. Working out before work is not really a possibility as I already get up at 5 am and struggle with that. Blah.

That's the reason I joined a training program at our local Fleet Feet running store a few years ago. It was in late November that I decided to take up running and I knew that I needed accountability to get me off the couch in the winter time. From that training group, friendships built with other runners. Two mornings a week before work there is a small group of us who have a standing run. Some times there are only 2 of us. Some times there are 6 or 7. Knowing the others are expecting me gets me out the door. Is there a local running group you can join? Or someone you know who runs?
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

I think most of us can sympathise and have been here.

Some thoughts I've tried -
    • taking a break
    • doing something other than running for a while
    • running with a specific goal in mind
    • running with others (make it social)
    • short runs.

Mentally the last one works best from me, although physically (when I'm well) it takes a couple of miles before I get into the run at all, so 'short' is relative

You'll get there!!!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Re: not feeling it - I had a stressful week last week due to life events and got in my workouts anyway, due to the sudden realization that Nike is right. You don't have to feel it, you just have to do it. Sometimes I trick my brain by telling myself I'm not going today, I'm going back to bed, taking a break, whatever... meanwhile I am doing the things I need to do to get ready. Then I'm out the door and doing it without ever mentally "agreeing" to work out. The nifty thing is that as far as your body is concerned, a last second workout you pretended all day you were going to skip counts just as much!

Haha! That's great! I'm so glad I'm not the only one that has to deal with this! Nike had it right, "just do it". No thinking.

I tell that brain, "uh huh, you can do whatever you want..." Like a child that has NO say in the (brain) matter. Then we do what I want. (That's mental right there).
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    It's interesting reading the discussion on trail running. I've learned all of my trail passing etiquette in Poland... so I apologize in advance if I come run one of your races, forget where I am, and just push right past you. I guess its just a different way of showing respect. Invading your personal space here seems normal and accepted, but invading your head space by talking to you would just be weird and rude.

@polskagirl01 I've been in maybe a dozen trail races, all in the midwest of the US, and every single one has been a big social event, from 5K to 50K. I went to my last race by myself but never felt alone because it seemed like I was talking to people half the time, before during and after the race. I've never met a more friendly welcoming community than the trail running community. Even the most introverted person can easily find someone to talk to, though there are those who have no interest in being social, which is certainly fine.

That sounds wonderful to me :)
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I am not currently following a plan, except for weight training. Maybe that's why I can't get into it? But I am not training for anything. I took about 9 months off so it's not a break that I need (except maybe from work LOL). Diet is best it's been since I was diagnosed with celiac disease a few years back. I'm eating a lot and staying hydrated.

It's probably a little anxiety and a little depression. I think I have some other medical issue since I still get the vertigo-like symptoms (not sure how else to describe) randomly on some runs. But don't get that with any other workout. I have put in for an appointment but my docs calendar isn't opening until June or July. So it might be months after that when I finally get in.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I am not currently following a plan, except for weight training. Maybe that's why I can't get into it? But I am not training for anything. I took about 9 months off so it's not a break that I need (except maybe from work LOL). Diet is best it's been since I was diagnosed with celiac disease a few years back. I'm eating a lot and staying hydrated.

It's probably a little anxiety and a little depression. I think I have some other medical issue since I still get the vertigo-like symptoms (not sure how else to describe) randomly on some runs. But don't get that with any other workout. I have put in for an appointment but my docs calendar isn't opening until June or July. So it might be months after that when I finally get in.

Something you can do for weight training is to start by running before-hand. Some recent research shows that static stretching is best done after strength training and can actually increase injury risk if done before-hand. However, active stretching / dynamic stretching is beneficial prior to weight lifting. So run a bit to increase your HR and get your blood flowing. Not only does it lower your risk of injury while lifting weights, but it is also a way to make only a minor change to your current routine and add running.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85 I don't schedule them on the same day. There's no way I can fit a run and lifting session on the same day. Even a short run before lifting wouldn't work. Unless we can figure out a way to add more hours to the day. I keep asking but the universe isn't helping ;)
  • 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I don't have a plan right now either. I think about the night before how far I want to go the next day and either choose the 3.5 or 5 mile route. Long runs are at least the length of my next race and on trail. I'm doing well in the 6-8 mile range. I'll see about extending that to the 7-10 mile range soon.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - Ouch! Hope you're ok and back to normal soon!
    @Elise4270 - Ditto...heal up. ETA: Just realized that was three months ago...duh, me
    @RunsOnEspresso - Take a break, do something else for a change of pace (no pun intended). Or change how / where / when you run. If you resent it, that's no good.