March 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @Teresa502
    How: one foot in front of the other...LOL
    Why: My schedule lined up with my buddy who's training for 2 of the same races as me and that's our normal spot. Plus, in that one mile loop, we get 34 feet of incline per loop, so we get uphill, downhill and flat all in one area and last, mental training.

Nice running BTW
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    @KatieJane83 I have no idea why my phone auto corrected to that user but I did mean you obviously lololl

@MobyCarp I too would like to borrow your pace pal btw. I basically want someone faster than me to chase me for the first third of every race shouting "STAAAAAAHP IT!". Have you ever considered Canada Kevin :D
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    @MobyCarp I think we all need someone like her.

With your experience I think you'll be fine at Boston. If all else fails, go by the credo of ultra runners like me, who aren't in @JessicaMcB 's league, if you think you're going out slow enough, slow down. As an added incentive, just remember that 2-3 days before Boston I'll be spending 30-34 hours slowly reminding myself how stupid I am.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Everyone talking about (and posting pictures) of running in snow is making me jealous. We had our first 90 degree F day today (along with another pollen alert). I guess summer is here already.... WHAAAA!!!!

utmifv9kki5h.png
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Running toes question:

Blisters at the end of my second toes (on both feet) are now showing up at every run over 10 miles. I now have mecha-calluses on the end of these toes and my toenails are in a constant state of purple/black/non-existence. I have tried to Google the answer but I am getting conflicting information— My shoes are too small or too big; I scrunch my toes or they are hitting the top of the shoe....etc.

Does anyone have experience with this? Is it my shoes or my running form? I have been fit-tested at a specialty running store but their suggestions don’t work.

Also, the smart-wool anti-blister socks feel like I am running over hot coals. They are so hot! Do they make socks with no toe seams? Maybe that’s the problem?

I am worried that these blisters over blisters will eventually cause foot issues...

Your feet expand when you run. So a shoe that is slightly under sized but comfy when you are in the store will be to small when you are running. You might need to go up a 1/2 size.

BUT your socks very well could be the problem. I wear Under Armor Heat Gear running socks in the summer, and Darn Tough wool socks in cold weather. Both work very well BUT as the UA's wear out I start to get blisters. I try to replace them before they get to that point. I would DEFINIITLY consider changing your sock to a running specific one.

Yes, my running shoes are a 1/2 size too big. They tried to convince me to go up a full size but I was walking right out of them. I will check out the Under Armor socks. Thanks!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless You beat Phoenix. We have rain coming (maybe) so it's cooled a bit.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    HRKinchen wrote: »
    NEW 5K PR TODAY!!!

Returned to the site of my first ever 5k (last year) and ran my best race yet! This was my second nonstop run, and this time I was much better at the pinch-and-pour at the aid stations than last weekend. Plus, it was sprinkling rain, so dousing wasn't such a concern. :smirk:

YAY!!! Great job!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Finished my Shamrock Shuffle 5k in 28:24 which was good enough to get me third place in my age-group. Had to scramble through some fresh snow to get to the start line, but the piping hot coffee at the end made it all worthwhile. And most important of all, my new shoes felt great.

W00T! Way to kill it!!
  • PastorVincent
    Options

@RespectTheKitty Yay! You live!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @JessicaMcB You be flying!
  • HRKinchen
    HRKinchen Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Trying to catch up on posts, but y'all! There is so much awesomeness in this thread!
    Orphia wrote: »
    Did parkrun (5 km) today in 27:10.

My fastest time since my PB 11 months ago. Yay!

Congrats on the great run!
    Finished my Shamrock Shuffle 5k in 28:24 which was good enough to get me third place in my age-group. Had to scramble through some fresh snow to get to the start line, but the piping hot coffee at the end made it all worthwhile. And most important of all, my new shoes felt great.

Way to go! Great run, hot coffee, new shoes ... Sounds like a winning combo to me!
    garygse wrote: »
    My Friday night run started at a little after 9:30pm, and continued until 3am with a small stop to take in a gel. The weather was awesome; light cloud cover and warm temps in the 60s, with a nice southerly breeze, certainly made for a pleasant night run. This time, there were absolutely no skunks...not even a whiff. But bunnies? So. Many. Bunnies. It's like it's almost Easter or something.

02 - 27.37
    05 - 15.59
    07 - 11.93
    08 - 12.05
    09 - 30.21

Total: 97.15 / 250 miles

I so envy your night run! Some of my favorite runs have been in the evening/twilight hours.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @shanaber you might be able to find a scotch gaurd product that you can spray on the jacket. We've used it ages ago on furniture, but turned out it caused a bit of contact dermatitis on the kiddos. That was 27 years ago, so I'd have to conclude there's a superior product out there today.

Maybe your local dry cleaners would know, if Google doesn't.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is a spray or something I can put on the jacket to make it more water resistant again? It is the best jacket with lots of pockets but is a good 5-6 years old and I am sure they no longer make it.

I have been told that Never Wet:

419jF8FUQFL.jpg

Is good, but I have not tried it yet myself.