March 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,389 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Elise4270 and @PastorVincent - I will check on scotch guard products and Never Wet!
  • simcon1
    simcon1 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    @shanaber this Nikwax duo is what I just bought to re-waterproof rain jackets. It’s on the to-do list for this week, so no results to report yet, but I have to say that the shoe version did a great job on my Frye boots that I wear to work just about every day
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Thanks @Elise4270 and @PastorVincent - I will check on scotch guard products and Never Wet!

I was going to recommend Nikwax as well - you can get a spray and it is specially designed for outdoor clothing. Try your nearest outdoor activity store for help.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    shanaber wrote: »

I was going to recommend Nikwax as well - you can get a spray and it is specially designed for outdoor clothing. Try your nearest outdoor activity store for help.

Which ever product you try, please report back! :)
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    @Teresa502
    How: one foot in front of the other...LOL
    Why: My schedule lined up with my buddy who's training for 2 of the same races as me and that's our normal spot. Plus, in that one mile loop, we get 34 feet of incline per loop, so we get uphill, downhill and flat all in one area and last, mental training.

Nice running BTW

I wanted to do a 50K the year I turned 50. As I was looking at the different offerings, I noticed a lot consisted of 1, 3 or 5 mile loops. I just couldn't wrap my head around a 1-mile loop that many times. I ended up choosing a 5 mile loop in a park near Dayton, Ohio. My hat is off to you!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,389 Member
    Options
    @simcon1 and @girlinahat I will check out Nikwax. I am sure REI should have it and if not there is always Amazon! I will definitely let you know how it works @PastorVincent.
    On the stretchy shoe laces that @_nikkiwolf_ recommended. I definitely like the Nathan ones better. They were easy to put on my shoes, easy to get adjusted and work great. No problem with the top of my foot or my foot falling asleep. The Xtenex were hard to get in my shoes and hard to adjust. I could not get them so that the pressure was off on the top of my foot. I haven’t given up on them though and am trying some different lacing patterns with them. Note they really hurt if they snap and hit a finger or your hand when putting them in or taking them out.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @shanaber the Nikwax duo that @simcon1 is what I have used in the past with my Gore-Tex and Arctrex outdoor gear. Had good luck with them. The one thing I do remember is I got a better result if I washed the gear twice before using the product.
    First wash with a mild detergent.
    2nd wash No detergent - more of a super long rinse to remove any remnants of detergent.
    Then did the Nikwax wash routine as described on the instructions.
    Also I seem to remember using the longer wash cycle time to give it a little extra time in the water before going into rinse cycle.

After you have completed the Nikwax wash I recommend you do an empty machine cycle to remove any remnants of the Nikwax from the machine. Would hate to get it on other cloths that aren't designed for it by accident.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    vandinem wrote: »
    Date      Miles      MTD
    -------   -----    -------
    Mar  11     2.8        2.8 

Starting back after a long layoff is always a challenge. Had to address a few injury and recovery issues, and had some success with a Keto eating plan that helped me lose some pounds ... I think the extra weight was contributing on the injuries. Short outing today. I'll have to build up my aerobic capacity again ... had to stop for a couple recovery intervals. Still, happy to lace 'em up again!

Welcome back! Glad to see you back in it! Getting injuries and recovery taken care of is important. Glad you got that sorted out.
    So far on track
    32x3soaame6n.png

I did the Parkrun 5K then went and caught up with my wife for a bot more distance. But my time for the 5K was a PB of 28:37. More than a minute better than my last PB of 29:42. In between every Parkrun had snow on the path so I was glad to see a clear path time.

Nice running and congrats on the PR!