March 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• kevaasen
    kevaasen Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    @kevaasen I bought this Salomon, but as I bought it ready for summer, I haven't used it yet. Suffice to say that I know that it fits nicely, but I can't say how it feels until I'm running with it loaded up. In a few months, I intend to use it for my long runs, with the front bottles containing just water so that I can refill at water fountains on the way, and the bladder filled with Tailwind to help me keep going.

Today was a usual Tueday run with seven miles solo, five with the group, and one more as a cool-down. The weird thing is my HR while running solo was down in the 130s, but running even slower with the group saw it jump up into the 150s. I have no idea why...the human body is a strange device at times.

02 - 27.37
    05 - 15.59
    07 - 11.93
    08 - 12.05
    09 - 30.21
    12 - 14.57
    13 - 13.02

Total: 124.74 / 250 miles

Awesome. Thanks for the details and link.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    March goal: 96 miles

3/1: 5 miles
    3/4: 9 miles
    3/6: 4.1 miles
    3/7: 4.6 miles
    3/8: 5 miles
    3/11: 10.5 miles
    3/13: 5 miles (intervals)

43.2/96 miles completed

I finally ran some intervals today. This was the first time I used the interval feature on my Garmin. I liked it better than using timed intervals. But it was a hard workout. I was kind of disappointed that my overall average wasn't faster. I felt like I was working really hard. But I guess even though the fast intervals were faster the slow parts were slower so it averaged out to be about my usual pace.

exercise.png

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    kevaasen wrote: »
    kevaasen wrote: »
    @garygse I know a ways back you were looking at hydration packs? Curious did you buy something and if you did your pick and current review of the product. Thanks.

Not that you asked for my two cents... but I love my Orange Mud double quiver. It takes a few runs to get used to it, but damn is it ever more comfortable than a traditional hydration pack! ❤️

Thanks for your recommendation as well as @PastorVincent comments and it will be something to consider. Will be sure to give it a look.

I will say that I did my 20 mile run with 3 bottles in the HydroQuiver and did not notice the weight at all. The big advantage of the HydroQuiver over traditional hydration packs sit that it uses bottles that are easily refillable at water fountains, or etc. Bladders tend to be much harder to deal with. I can easily hold three 25 oz bottles on mine so that is 75 ozs of fluid, and it can be refilled on the run if you pass a water supply.

The two big cons with it are the price and I still worry about chaffing in the summer. But we will see when that comes. This is the one I have:

81QfcRobelL._SL400_.jpg
    link to vest on Amazon
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Dang internet....I’ll have to update my ticker once my laptop decides to connect. Wanted to get in 13 miles today but when my alarm went off at 1:30 I hit snooze. My first thought was why the hell is my alarm going off. Lol. Got out the door about 3 and was able to knock down 10.51 miles.

Getting up at 0130 would be epic. Getting up at 0300 is still pretty awesome. That's about an hour before I get up for my weekday runs. Great job!

Y'all are awesome... I struggle getting up at 0630 for my weekday runs (I work a creative job and nobody raises an eyebrow when I come sauntering in at 1030). Earliest I ever got up for running was 0330 for a summer trail run at dawn with a bunch of crazy people. My hat goes off to anybody who gets up before 7 consistently.

@kevaasen I bought this Salomon, but as I bought it ready for summer, I haven't used it yet. Suffice to say that I know that it fits nicely, but I can't say how it feels until I'm running with it loaded up. In a few months, I intend to use it for my long runs, with the front bottles containing just water so that I can refill at water fountains on the way, and the bladder filled with Tailwind to help me keep going.

I think I just bought the exact same thing sans bladder. It's still sitting in its box near the door... will probably take it for a stroll next week.

0313-2k Total-20.4k Goal-80k

Ugh... this month's mileage is just going to the dogs. Got to the gym pretty late yesterday and only had time for 2k on the treadmill and then it was to the barbell... still had the sweeper wait up for me as she had to lock up. Good news is, it's supposed to clear up tonight which means a proper run is in the books for tomorrow morning.

Upcoming races:
    03.18 HM Chengdu
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

Today was a usual Tueday run with seven miles solo, five with the group, and one more as a cool-down. The weird thing is my HR while running solo was down in the 130s, but running even slower with the group saw it jump up into the 150s. I have no idea why...the human body is a strange device at times.

02 - 27.37
    05 - 15.59
    07 - 11.93
    08 - 12.05
    09 - 30.21
    12 - 14.57
    13 - 13.02

Total: 124.74 / 250 miles

Isn't that really hot though? It looks like your upper body is basically encased in a waterproof jacket.
  • abutcher2122
    abutcher2122 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Finally got my laptop working after having to wipe it back to factory settings. So i channeled that frustration into another 9.11 for a total of 19.63 miles.
    exercise.png
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    oh @skippygirlsmom big non-crushing hugs to you. FOUR broken ribs!!! no wonder you are in pain.

whether to run or even take part in the HM - well, a half marathon is about 30,000 steps (depending on speed) so with each step that's a chance of falling over and doing more damage. With lots of other participants bustling around you, that also increases the risk.

BUT - how often do you fall over in daily life?

all of that weighed against how long it takes ribs to heal - I'd probably not risk it TBH. We want you back healthy and running.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,014 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I have been reading along but haven't been running though I did try. Finally a week after my fall I went to the ER the doctor was like wow you are tough, I have 4 broken ribs. I said can I run in my half marathon in 3 weeks he said oh definitely not. I said can I walk it. He said I don't recommend it, if you fall again you can re damage them. I said but I can add running as I feel better. He said I have a feeling you won't listen but you shouldn't run until June. WTF are you kidding.

Maybe a second opinion from a sports doctor?
  • Teerai
    Teerai Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    1HK2m8.png

vIH5m8.png
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    last speed workout before race. 6 1 minute intervals at race speed with 2 minutes recovery. 5 miles total.

exercise.png
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - June! Oh my gosh. Is there anything else you can do instead of running?
    One of the guys in my cycling group who had an accident because a deer ran in front of the group broke two ribs and he started riding about a week later. We were all shocked. He's a doctor too! But he says he wouldn't recommend it to his patients.

Yesterday I did the Run to the Deep 10K (using RaceLink app). It is the British Science Week program. Last year it was on the solar system. This year, about deep under the sea. It was pretty interesting - although I liked the planets better.

Today we are doing the student walk out for the Parkland shooting last month. We are doing it as a prayer service - outside - since we are a Catholic school. 2 weeks and 1 day till Spring Break.

3/1 - rest day
    3/2 - 5 miles + Strength training - W6-C
    3/3 - 26 miles cycling
    3/4 - 3 miles + strength training -w6-D
    3/5 - 3.5 miles + strength training W7-A
    3/6 - 4.5 miles
    3/7 - strength training W7-B
    3/8 - 4.5 miles + strength training W7-C
    3/9 - REST DAY!
    3/10 - 3.2 miles + strength training W7-D
    3/11 - 51 miles cycling
    3/12 - rest day