Opinions on the keto diet??

Options

Replies

• 15connor2015
    15connor2015 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I feel great on keto and it's really good for getting lots of protein to maintain muscle when losing weight, also great as it reduces hunger and cravings.
    However I can't stick with it for more than a week before becoming insanely bored of it unfortunately.
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    kc5wqy wrote: »
    Im on keto lost 20lbs in 2 1/2 months but the supplement gets really expensive.

what is this magical supplement you speak of?
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    kc5wqy wrote: »
    Im on keto lost 20lbs in 2 1/2 months but the supplement gets really expensive.

What supplement are you taking? To my knowledge, there are no requirements for supplements even tho some do take a multi-vitamin just for insurance.
  • dmcnur
    dmcnur Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    dmcnur wrote: »
    I haven't found it more expensive. If anything my food bills are smaller as I don't now buy the generally more expensive processed foods.

Rice, beans, pasta are pretty cheap. I found buying meat more expensive. What did you buy?

I buy salmon, chicken, duck breasts, steak, bacon, eggs, but have always done this even when not keto. The balance of my shopping is for vegetables.
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Wrong. Claiming 'CICO doesn't work for me' is saying you can create energy from nothing or make ingested energy just disappear. CICO is immutable. It applies to everyone!!!

Not saying at all that CICO "doesn't work", but there are some variations in food absorption. For example, nuts ingestion in the following case proved to be 128 calories, although 170 was on the label.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/the-hidden-truths-about-calories/

• saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    That doesn't mean it changes CICO.eaten.

Well that's what I said. "Not saying at all that CICO "doesn't work""

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    saintor1 wrote: »

Unmetabolized food, like fiber, isn't part of the argument. The only difference with nuts (which it's not all nuts) is that this is a more recent discovery as compared to fiber.

If any argument is going to be made, it's high protein since that has been demonstrated to increase CO.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    saintor1 wrote: »

Unmetabolized food, like fiber, isn't part of the argument. The only difference with nuts (which it's not all nuts) is that this is a more recent discovery as compared to fiber.

If any argument is going to be made, it's high protein since that has been demonstrated to increase CO.

I think it falls into the CI portion of the argument, whereas protein is on the CO side of it.