Women in their 40s!

Replies

• tinaka2016
    tinaka2016 Posts: 159 Member
    Some advice please ladies. So I started back in the gym this week after a very long break - I'm far from fit! When should I be introducing resistance training? Start now, light or build on my cardio first? Also, I'm looking for high protein low calorie simple snack ideas (feed up with bars already) and what about protein powders? I know you guys have mentioned snacks before but as I live in the U.K. it can't be store specific. Simple being the operative word as I'm rubbish in the kitchen.

I'm out for the evening now so catch up with you guys tomorrow. Thanks x
  • smregar
    smregar Posts: 2 Member
    Hi All-I'm 46 and struggling to lose the weight. Please feel free to add me. Support is always welcome.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    @neepex27 I always list the calories and nutrtion info when I post food. The bagels are 163 calories 11 protein. I can get you more info or post a pic if of the nutrtion info you want. I thought I already did. Forget the points. Who cares. They're crap!

@tinaka2016 start weight training now! Preserve as much lean mass as you can. It's more important than cardio in the long run, for the most part. Try to weight train at least 2-3 times a week, anything after that do your cardio,
  • suzyjmcd2
    suzyjmcd2 Posts: 266 Member
    neepex27 wrote: »
    I'm a pinterest addict! I'm always searching for new recipes to try, and thanks to @melissa6771 I never knew there was such a thing as 2 ingredient bagels (seriously can't wait to try them, as I've not touched bread all week...and that's huge for me!). Can anyone explain weight watchers points? I see a lot of recipes with points, but how do they convert to calories? Just curious. Lower the points, lower the calories? I could input all the recipes into mfp, but was hoping to make it a bit easier

I think you have to choose one "plan" or the other. Trying to do both WW and calorie counting would probably prove difficult.

I have a friend who is doing the WW Freestyle program and she's losing weight. However, I don't feel she's doing it in a healthy way. She eats a TON of fruit each day, eats no starch/carbs, and doesn't eat much protein. But she says that it's OK, because the fruit is "free," and everything fits into her points for the day. I'm sure if I logged in that much fruit, and that little protein/startch/carbs here on this site, I'd be way over on sugar for the day, and way under on protein and carbs. That's not balanced eating. And when (not if) she ever goes back to eating "normally," she'll probably gain it all back. Which is exactly what happened with me the THREE times I did WW, lost all the weight, and gained it ALL back. I wasn't eating the right way! MFP teaches you to eat the right amounts of the right types of food. No type of food is completely off limits (like starch/carbs) and that you can almost always have what you want, so long as it's in moderation.

Don't worry about those points. Take the time to input the recipes into MFP that you think you might like, so that you can find the calories using your particular brands of ingredients - it's totally worth it. (And, by the way, the 2 ingredient (equal parts non-fat greek yogurt and self-rising flour) dough is FANTASTIC for pizza and breadsticks and is well worth making!)

Good luck with your MFP journey! It works! :smile:
  • Ready2befithealthy
    Ready2befithealthy Posts: 303 Member
    I’m 42 right there with you sister! I’m going for an additional 10 so let’s be friends and push each other!
  • Grammytryingtogetfit
    Grammytryingtogetfit Posts: 672 Member
    2 years shy of joining the 40's club, does that count?!
    Close enough!!! Welcome @Nama_Slay38 !!!
    Welcome to all the Ladies. This is an awesome group of ladies!!!!

• Nama_Slay38
    Nama_Slay38 Posts: 178 Member
    2 years shy of joining the 40's club, does that count?!
    Close enough!!! Welcome @Nama_Slay38 !!!
    Welcome to all the Ladies. This is an awesome group of ladies!!!!

Thank you @NicholeAckerman It's nice to be a part of "women lifting eachother up".. don't see that alot on SM anymore!
  • thadreamer
    thadreamer Posts: 54 Member
    edited March 2018
    Will be 42 in July. And a strong desire to lose 85-90lbs
    I could use friends to support the long journey I have ahead of me. This my I don't know 100th time fresh start on MFP. And right now I have no motivation to exercise.

Feel free to add me.
  • Sunshine6909
    Sunshine6909 Posts: 108 Member
    edited March 2018

Hello from China! I might have to try that - prelogging :)[/quote]

Let us know how you get on! :-)
  • tinaka2016
    tinaka2016 Posts: 159 Member
    @angelacatheart @melissa6771 Thank you to you both for your great words of wisdom!
  • cherylhunter3572
    cherylhunter3572 Posts: 8 Member
    Hello Ladies, I was wondering if anyone has had cancer and found ways to deal with the fatigue.

A reminder to do a breast exam, I got lucky finding my lump on a fluke, thankfully it was caught early! I have met too many women where it wasn't and it was too late.
  • JustKeepSwimming2008
    JustKeepSwimming2008 Posts: 174 Member
    A little embarrassed that I did a different workout on Tuesday this week, and my legs are still sore today! They are getting better. I want to work this routine back into my schedule and do it a couple of times a week, but i think it will be Sunday before I try it again. Oh the joys of being old and out of shape.

Happy Friday everyone!

Oh, I know that feeling :D Great job mixing up your workouts though! I think it's good to change things up every now and then so our bodies don't adapt/get too comfortable with the same old workouts. That's a great way to push ourselves and take it up a notch! I think I'm going to follow your lead and throw in some strength training this weekend.

Happy Friday to everyone too! Summer is coming and so is the weekend! So lets stay strong and focused on our goals!
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Hello Ladies, I was wondering if anyone has had cancer and found ways to deal with the fatigue.

A reminder to do a breast exam, I got lucky finding my lump on a fluke, thankfully it was caught early! I have met too many women where it wasn't and it was too late.

I'm so sorry you are having to deal with that! I had a scare earlier in the year, but luckily it was nothing. Are you in the middle of treatment right now? I would think that just doing everything you can do to take care of your body should be your primary concern. I wouldn't worry about exercise or diet until you are clear for quite some time or unless you feel up to it. If you are feeling fatigued, I would say listen to your body and just rest it. Has your Dr. given you any suggestions?
  • Grammytryingtogetfit
    Grammytryingtogetfit Posts: 672 Member
    31bu9pwsudku.jpg
    YAY, It's Fantastic Friday!!!!
    Hope you marvelous Ladies have a great day!!!
    @angelacatheart , I'm gonna mix it back up today and do some more strength training, so I'm sure I'll be right where you are :)
  • JustKeepSwimming2008
    JustKeepSwimming2008 Posts: 174 Member
    Ok, random thoughts here this morning. But I turned the radio on this morning to start my day (a little cleaning and laundry) and that song Jesse's Girl by Rich Springfield was on. I love that song! I'm sorry, but if that song does not get you pumped, excited, motivated I don't know does!!! I cranked it up and started singing along at 7:15 in the morning. Husband once again thinks I've lost my mind. Lol. I told him I know it's going to be a good day because Jesse's Girl was on! Hahaha

Do you guys have any favorite workout/motivating song from 'back in the day' to get you going?