March 2018 Running Challenge

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited March 2018
    @7lenny7 yeah, I'm hoping that Zumbro doesn't follow the pattern I've had. Looking at probably a 7-8 hour race, if all goes well..... big assumption there..... LONG range forecast has a high of 55 with periods of rain on the Friday and an overnight low of 33.... Saturday is supposed to be sunny and high of 51... of course, it's all voodoo for the next 2 weeks.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    @7lenny7 I adore REI and I'm just deciding now between the 6 or 1.5. Gonna try them on tonight and make my choice! That's exactly what I'm looking for in being on trail--it's a stronger sense of being part of something bigger than ourselves and finding my people.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    @fitoverfortymom and @7lenny7 - Good to know that I am not the only one that gets caught up in the adrenaline rush of races, even if I don't really want to. As you both said, it's probably about finding a balance. @fitoverfortymom - I can't wait to hear all about your trail race and @7lenny7 -I always love hearing about your trail runs, especially the night runs with Kody. I wish Stella was a more patient runner. Maybe she needs to be introduce to a little zen trail running too!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    sarahthes wrote: »
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    @juliet3455 Third Winter almost makes me want to move back to BC.
    Plus once the road bans are on work gets deader than a doornail.

What are road bans? People can't drive on the roads?

Basically during spring thaw heavy trucks are banned from the gravel/dirt road system to keep them from getting torn up (because they will get churned to mud).
    A lot (but not all) of our work comes in from those remote sites so things get pretty slow.

@Teresa502 To add to @sarathes - to save the roads from damage the Transportation department will impose a maximum load weight restriction on transportation trucks. 50 to 75% depending on the road. So if your truck could haul 200,000 lbs/kgs during normal conditions you would be restricted to 100,000.
    If a load must get through companies will then add extra wheels to the truck/trailer combination to spread the weight out over more tires. An example image below where they have 3 extra load carrying axles at the front on a removal-able pony and a tri-axle trailer with a 2 axle jeep trailer added onto the back end. With 5 extra axles and so many extra tires they are real nasty to drive, need lots of room to turn because of the length and extra pivot point.
    yaydytvpvy39.jpg
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,481 Member
    @7lenny7 yeah, I'm hoping that Zumbro doesn't follow the pattern I've had. Looking at probably a 7-8 hour race, if all goes well..... big assumption there..... LONG range forecast has a high of 55 with periods of rain on the Friday and an overnight low of 33.... Saturday is supposed to be sunny and high of 51... of course, it's all voodoo for the next 2 weeks.

I know it's hard not to look at the long range forecast, but anything more than a week out is nothing but a wild *kitten* guess. there's no way they can accurately forecast conditions 3 weeks out. Any site which even publishes daily forecasts that far out loses credibility with me. I won't bother looking at the Zumbro forecast until the Sunday prior, and won't have faith in it until 2 days before.

• lporter229
    3/1-10 miles
    3/2 -30 minutes swimming + 35 minutes yoga
    3/3-10 miles w/ 8 @ (a little slower than) tempo
    3/4-14 miles+stretching
    3/5-Rest Day
    3/6- Yoga+ 1.6 miles with Stella+ 5.3 miles speed work
    3/7-6 miles easy (1.9 with Stella, 4.1 solo)
    3/8-P90X3 Total Synergistics
    3/9-12 miles
    3/10-12 miles
    3/11-10 miles
    3/12_Rest day (very much needed!)
    3/13-8.2 miles (including 1.5 with Stella)+ Stretching
    3/14- Strength Training + 32 minutes stationary bike
    3/15-6 miles
    3/16- Strength Training + 30 minutes Elliptical
    3/17-3.1 miles- Shamrock Shuffle 5K
    3/18-9.4 miles- Heart Mini 15K
    3/19- Rest Day
    3/20-6.5 miles
    3/21-2.1 miles with Stella + P90X3 Dynamix
    3/22-6 miles

Miles: 122.2/150
    Yoga/stretch: 4/12
    Strength/P90X3: 4/6
    Bonus cross training: 3 sessions

Nothing overly exciting to report about last evening's run. Typical route, nice weather, easy pace. Overall an enjoyable but uneventful run. I did wear my new Asic's Nimbus shoes. They felt a little tight in the toe box and my feet were kind of tingly for most of my run. Maybe I will try a different lacing pattern next time. I hope they work out. I really don't want another pair of shoes I don't like. I have this problem with returning things that I need to get over. If you saw my closet full of shoes you would understand.

Lats night in the middle of the night I woke up to go to the bathroom. I must have been still half asleep because when I stepped out of bed, somehow I landed with my toes curled under and I toppled over onto my butt. Today my foot is very sore as a result. I hope it doesn't give me issues on my 10 mile run tonight.

We are supposed to get a heavy snow storm starting tomorrow morning. Just in time for our 8AM group run. At least I will have company to share in the misery. Two months ago I may have been excited by this news, but the daffodils are now up and I am over it.
  • lporter229
    7lenny7 wrote: »

I know it's hard not to look at the long range forecast, but anything more than a week out is nothing but a wild *kitten* guess. there's no way they can accurately forecast conditions 3 weeks out. Any site which even publishes daily forecasts that far out loses credibility with me. I won't bother looking at the Zumbro forecast until the Sunday prior, and won't have faith in it until 2 days before.

The only reason I ever check the forecast the weekend before a race is that I can usually feel pretty confident that WON'T be the actual weather on race day.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    lporter229 wrote: »
    @alphahowls- Kudos to you. I love that philosophy. Please don't ever lose sight of it. As you may have noticed if you have read my recent posts, I am currently struggling with the dilemma of forgetting about speed in order to embrace the joy of running.

My story is kind of ironic actually because what you wrote above used to be me. For years and years I ran just to run and because I enjoyed it. I did not care about speed and I rarely ever ran in organized races. Somewhere along the way I ran a few races and then a friend of mine convinced me to run a marathon with her. After all of that training, I naturally got faster and the next time I ran a race I realized that, by virtue of getting older and being a long time runner, I was actually competitive in my age group.

Well, let me tell you, that adrenaline rush of giving it all you've got and finishing at the top of the pack is kind of addictive. So much so that I find it hard to not run all out in races, even if that is not what I had planned. But the truth is, I know that this is not what is best for me and that it actually hurts me as a runner. My goal is to be able to run, not win races or anything, just run, as long as I am able to walk. In order to do this, I know that I need to adapt that philosophy that I once had, your philosophy. I just need to run for the joy of running.

I am looking forward to doing more trail running because I know that trail running embodies everything I love about running, the serenity and peace it brings, along with the sense of community rather than competition. I really wish that running trails was as convenient as running on the roads, because that is what is holding me back. My commitment to myself this summer is not to let that hold me back. I just need to make it happen then same way I make a run happen when it doesn't fit neatly into my schedule.

Sorry for the rambles here. If you haven't noticed, I have been going through a bit of soul searching lately...

Hah! This could be me. I started running in my late 30s. Wasn't particularly fast, but enjoyed it. Enjoyed it enough to keep doing it and even enter a few races. By then I was in my 40s and the 40-49 age-group is very competitive so I was never in danger of placing. Then I started training for a handful of half marathons and found I was getting faster. Next thing I knew, I was in my 50s and suddenly started placing in my races. It's a great feeling, but I'm also concerned I'm getting away from that whole running for the fun of it thing. I'm hoping the parkrun which has been set up near my home is going to help me get back to that.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    7lenny7 wrote: »

I do for fun, I actually really don't care about weather for races, I'll go out there and finish it no matter what. It's all voodoo really, too many factors for real accuracy, even in short time frames. Considering the number of time's the forecast has been wrong even within a 24 hour period, I don't believe anything unless I observe it.

On a side note, one meta-analysis I looked at, actually gives accuweather a high accuracy rating, and they are the ones who publish out more than 2 weeks.... it's all computer simulations anyway, based on historical data and current conditions.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,701 Member
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    @juliet3455 Third Winter almost makes me want to move back to BC.
    Plus once the road bans are on work gets deader than a doornail.

What are road bans? People can't drive on the roads?

Basically during spring thaw heavy trucks are banned from the gravel/dirt road system to keep them from getting torn up (because they will get churned to mud).
    A lot (but not all) of our work comes in from those remote sites so things get pretty slow.

@Teresa502 To add to @sarathes - to save the roads from damage the Transportation department will impose a maximum load weight restriction on transportation trucks. 50 to 75% depending on the road. So if your truck could haul 200,000 lbs/kgs during normal conditions you would be restricted to 100,000.
    If a load must get through companies will then add extra wheels to the truck/trailer combination to spread the weight out over more tires. An example image below where they have 3 extra load carrying axles at the front on a removal-able pony and a tri-axle trailer with a 2 axle jeep trailer added onto the back end. With 5 extra axles and so many extra tires they are real nasty to drive, need lots of room to turn because of the length and extra pivot point.
    yaydytvpvy39.jpg
    Oh my - that's a long trailer!! I'm impressed by the skill it takes to drive a normal tractor-trailer (especially backing). Can not even imagine how hard it would be to navigate that!
  • lporter229
    I have been unable to run since starting yet another new medication about a month ago. Side effects of this medication include back and leg pain, and I have been experiencing both, as well as really bad pain in both hips. I feel stiff and sore all the time.

It's easier to fight through the pain when I'm walking, so I've been doing a lot of that. I'm looking into getting a bicycle for the warmer months, assuming I'm going to be staying on this drug. I have an appointment with my doctor this weekend where I plan to discuss my issues. We'll see what happens. In the meantime, it really stinks not being able to run like I want to. Not to mention all the weight I've gained in the last month. It's super depressing, the exact opposite of what this stupid drug is supposed to be doing for me.

I'm beginning to think there's not a medication out there that will work for me. I've tried seemingly everything in the past 20 years. Yet another thing to discuss with the doctor.

In the meantime, I cry every time I see someone running. I want to, so badly, but I just can't.

Aw, hon, I feel for you. I hope you get this worked out. It definitely does not sound like that is the right medication for you though. Nothing should make you feel worse than you already do.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    lporter229 wrote: »
    @alphahowls- Kudos to you. I love that philosophy. Please don't ever lose sight of it. As you may have noticed if you have read my recent posts, I am currently struggling with the dilemma of forgetting about speed in order to embrace the joy of running.

My story is kind of ironic actually because what you wrote above used to be me. For years and years I ran just to run and because I enjoyed it. I did not care about speed and I rarely ever ran in organized races. Somewhere along the way I ran a few races and then a friend of mine convinced me to run a marathon with her. After all of that training, I naturally got faster and the next time I ran a race I realized that, by virtue of getting older and being a long time runner, I was actually competitive in my age group.

Well, let me tell you, that adrenaline rush of giving it all you've got and finishing at the top of the pack is kind of addictive. So much so that I find it hard to not run all out in races, even if that is not what I had planned. But the truth is, I know that this is not what is best for me and that it actually hurts me as a runner. My goal is to be able to run, not win races or anything, just run, as long as I am able to walk. In order to do this, I know that I need to adapt that philosophy that I once had, your philosophy. I just need to run for the joy of running.

I am looking forward to doing more trail running because I know that trail running embodies everything I love about running, the serenity and peace it brings, along with the sense of community rather than competition. I really wish that running trails was as convenient as running on the roads, because that is what is holding me back. My commitment to myself this summer is not to let that hold me back. I just need to make it happen then same way I make a run happen when it doesn't fit neatly into my schedule.

Sorry for the rambles here. If you haven't noticed, I have been going through a bit of soul searching lately...

Hah! This could be me. I started running in my late 30s. Wasn't particularly fast, but enjoyed it. Enjoyed it enough to keep doing it and even enter a few races. By then I was in my 40s and the 40-49 age-group is very competitive so I was never in danger of placing. Then I started training for a handful of half marathons and found I was getting faster. Next thing I knew, I was in my 50s and suddenly started placing in my races. It's a great feeling, but I'm also concerned I'm getting away from that whole running for the fun of it thing. I'm hoping the parkrun which has been set up near my home is going to help me get back to that.

See, I am very competitive - I was a high level jumper rider when I was younger. For me, competing IS the fun part. But I am not very fast so I had resigned myself to competing against my own PRs thinking that even an age group placing was hopelessly out of my each. But now, unexpectedly, I checked my 5k time yesterday against the finish of last year's St Jude Marathon Weekend 5k in the age group I'm about to enter (turning 50), and find if I did that speed last year I would have been second. So now it's on. Especially since I know I've got more in me, assuming I can avoid injury and continue to improve my conditioning.

I had a very good trainer when I was riding - the sort of person who will matter of factly help you up off your rear when you just completely blew an expensive out of state competition and say, "Well, that was a learning experience." I plan to keep her in mind as I try to become more competitive as a runner. And in the case of running, it's all not just a learning experience but a health building experience and a pleasure to be in the out of doors and for some people a social experience. In my case it's an "I ate a whole stack of fries with ketchup and my blood glucose never topped 100" experience. The benefits go on and on! But I am still really hoping some day to be competitive in my age group.
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    @PastorVincent The 3.0s are amazing but the 3.5s don't pull as tight across the mid foot and I have narrow feet. If you do not have this issue then I've found the Lone Peaks to be a great line of shoes.
  • hjeppley
    hjeppley Posts: 230 Member
    Hello crazy runners! I have been running but not checking in here. I have been really struggling with my energy level, illness, allergies and motivation these past 2 months. I finally dragged myself to the doctor and found out what was wrong. My vitamin B12 levels are low causing a type of anemia. No wonder I was tired and getting sick all the time! The doctor told me it could take up to 3 months of supplementation to feel better but I can already feel the improvement after 2 weeks. Thank goodness - I was starting to hate running because every one was becoming a miserable struggle.

In other news - I officially registered for the Miami marathon in January...and the 5K the day before - You know, for a warm up run ;)

It is great that you got this figured this out. I wonder if B12 is a part of my low ferritin issue that I discovered recently. I've start supplementing B12 as well as the iron so I am hoping that it turns around! It is good to know there is a reason and the fatigue isn't just from getting old. :smile:

Congrats on signing up for your marathon!
  • hjeppley
    hjeppley Posts: 230 Member
    Tomorrow is sure to be interesting, with 6-9 inches (15-23cm) of snow falling on the race course between 1300 today and 0700 tomorrow. Glad it's a somewhat shorter race.

Good luck to the END-SURE runners! Sounds like your run is going to be interesting too! 50K a "shorter" race. :lol: Plenty long enough for me right now.