Of refeeds and diet breaks

Options

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »
    Just a quick follow up to reinforce the notion of why focusing on pure scale weight isn't always conducive as a measurement to success.

Oh that is so very, very true.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    How long does it typically take to drop water weight from a high carb/high sodium day? I ask because it always seems to take forever for me to lose water weight, which in turn plays havoc with my weekly weigh ins. I over-did it with the ham this weekend, and my weight spiked up 8 lbs from Friday to Monday. It's coming back off, but very, very slowly. I'm trying to figure out where my maintenance calories are, but the water weight is making it extremely difficult to evaluate. Tomorrow is supposed to be my weigh in day, but from what I saw this morning, I'm not going to have all the water weight off to be able to see where I'm at.

Right now, I'm eating 1800 calories a day and have been sticking to that limit very closely. In using the formula Anubus provided on page 194, my maintenance calorie level should be somewhere between 2771 and 3198 if I'm at 50% bf, or 2420 to 2793 if I'm at 40% bf (using the 1.3 - 1.5 sedentary to lightly active modifiers). One problem I have is that I have no real idea of what my %bf is, but I'm assuming its around 40-50% as I'm not very active and haven't really started much of an exercise program yet behind daily chores. And since I was very, very obese, I've got a lot of extra skin hanging around which I would think would also be a problem in trying to evaluate %bf - right?

The 2420 says I should be losing around 1.5 lbs a week on an 1800 calorie week limit, on average. And I think I am somewhere in that neighborhood, but I can't get a true trend established because of the water weight. I did lose weight in the last 2 weeks, BUT my weight has been pretty erratic in those 2 weeks due to TOM and then this weekend, and now its popped back up to 268, so I'm having trouble getting an idea of the rate I'm losing at in order to figure out for sure where my maintenance is and how much above the 1800 I should raise my limit.

I check my weight daily, but weigh in and record it only once a week, and I know it fluctuates during the week, but I'm usually okay with that as long as the general trend is down. However, many times, I'll be trending down nicely until weight record day, when it will suddenly bounce up 2 or 3 lbs, which in turn kills my record for the week. And then it will take several days to get it back down.

My goal is to find maintenance and eat at that or slightly above it for 2 weeks, if I can ever establish where it is. I'm trying to establish a trend line to help, but the water weight is interfering with that. Do you have any advice on how to get the water weight to level off? I'm trying to eat lower carb, but I'm afraid that might be exasperating the constipation issues I'm dealing with (sorry for the TMI). I've been focusing on fiber intake and trying to get the recommended values in, but that isn't helping, either.

I thought about just going ahead and raising my maintenance up to the 2500 (the sedentary, 40% bf calorie calculation), but I'm not 100% that would be true maintenance or surplus, and I don't want to accidentally remain in deficit. And I want to be sure that I'm eating at the right deficit level when I go back to deficit.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    It takes me forever to lose water weight, and I shift around a lot, especially now that I'm back to working with weights every other day. This is one of the reasons I stopped weighing and started focusing on habits and compliance ... because my water shifts are bad.

BTW, I'm back to higher carbs now. Over 200 grams a day. I started listening to new audio books and well, just got more busy walking listening to them. I needed fuel. I think increasing the weights added to that too. I feel a lot better. The great thing about exchanging fat for carbs is that for the calories you don't have to cut too many grams of fat to do this. I'm still getting a whole avocado a day at lunch, which keeps me in a happy place.

Anyway, when I eat at maintenance, since I've been dieting so long, I allow for a slight adaptation factor and some small things I don't log that would possibly be in the neighborhood of around 50 calories, so I err on the side of caution and cut slightly below what my Fitbit is saying. But I'm at a very different phase of dieting than you are, so I would likely err on the side of being optimistic about the numbers in your situation.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Sodium seems to be 2-4 days for most. Depends on if you were going much lower than body desires, and then went way over.

Glucose depends.

If very active and body has been trained to store alot in the muscles for workouts, and you top them all off with some big carb meals, and then go back to normal being active - 2 days possible if back to deficit.

If big carb meals proceed many lazy days like you got sick - you aren't using those muscle stores - could last a long while even in a deficit.

Since those stores can't be put back into bloodstream, and the body doesn't always call on muscle stores first even when using muscles briefly, they could sit awhile.

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Dietary related (carbs or sodium) for me is usually 3-4 days. When I start getting twitchy, I'll look at the highest sodium day, and count out 4 days from that last high sodium day -- and 9/10 times, it resolves itself on day 4.

Travel is usually a week.

Race weight = usually two or three weeks.

Mid-cycle and cyclical = 10 days
  • anewell28
    anewell28 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I had a "refeed" or "binge" on Easter. I ate a lot of bad bad food that day, and its taken me longer than normal for my body to get rid of the water weight. I hold onto water very easily, so this isn't a big surprise. Just annoying. I feel like a fat slob but I know that I probably only gained 1-3 pounds of fat that day. Oh well. Back to the deficit life.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    That's all good news. WHR is actually a good metric to use (any measurement, really, in conjunction with scale weight) to better determine if any scale weight loss is correlating with measurements. That and some physicians like to use WHR to predict health risk susceptibility.

Plus if you're strength training, if measurements and scale weight are trending down, but strength is steady/improving, it's a good sign that you are losing primarily fat and retaining muscle/gaining strength. Outside of novice gains or getting back into training after a layoff, fat loss and hypertrophy muscle gain are almost mutually exclusive. Either way, even in a deficit, do not reduce the intensity of your heaviest lifting set. Say for Stronglifts, if your next scheduled lift is +5 lbs for your working set, then if you can hit it for 1-2 sets but need to reduce the weight for subsequent sets, that's still fine.

In fact, in a deficit, training volume might decrease, but that shouldn't deter you from trying to still get stronger. Which is why I tend to use reverse pyramid training (RPT) during a deficit. Warm up to a top set of my heaviest intensity for a prescribed amount of reps (3-5), then reduce load by -10% on following sets but add reps (5-8) > -10% for 8-12 reps.

If you're unable to maintain the intensity, then it might be time to reconsider the programming or energy intake.

For now, do what you're doing in terms of the plan and enjoy your diet break and upcoming vacation.