Less Alcohol- April 2018- One Day at a Time

Replies

• dressagerider1020
    dressagerider1020 Posts: 106 Member
    edited April 2018
    Not in FL, but TX - both high heat, high humidity places. I keep saying I want snow, but I guess if I had it, I would be complaining about that, too...I never complained about the weather when I lived in the Bay Area <3 I miss it.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    kittybenn wrote: »
    @dressagerider1020 - boy, I hear ya. You must live near me - I'm in FL. And I'm starting to sweat on my morning walks. V sorry all the rest of you who live in places that are still cold and snowy!

Woke up this morning to snow! After six months of grey , cold weather, I can easily see how people reach for something alcoholic to pick up their spirits. I know that I have been more tempted lately and feeling more depressed even though that's not usually how I feel.
    I think the sun is such a mood lifter. I love FL and love the beaches. Enjoy your spring, because I know it will be sweltering soon.
    I know I would have felt the same after three glasses; just a few days ago, one glass made me nauseous the whole next day.

• dressagerider1020
    dressagerider1020 Posts: 106 Member
    I think I'll borrow your new motto!
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    @JulieAL1969 and the big pores on the face, too, especially the nose. Thank God I didn't get to that point. It is very sad.

I had very dry skin from the dehydration. Peeling like on my face, too. It was sad because I cared more about the alcohol than the way I looked. It did bother me, but alcohol won. NO MORE.
  • ehseeker
    ehseeker Posts: 515 Member
    JenT304 wrote: »
    We sat at the bar last night and I asked the bartender if he could make me a mocktail. He looked confused. So I said, "ok well check with Sean (the other bartender) and see what you can come up with." He ended up bringing me a Shirley Temple! I don't think I have had one of those since I was about nine. But I liked having my pretty drink in a fancy glass, alcohol free and had a good time with my husband. I am slowly losing the urge to drink. Slowly. Reading the posts here and watching Craig Beck videos on you tube helps me stay the course. Happy Saturday Everyone!

Frozen lemonade is delicious - an AF margarita or daigarie. I used to drink them when pregnant.
  • ehseeker
    ehseeker Posts: 515 Member
    edited April 2018
    Went af all week and had my wine with dinner yesterday. It was great going down - tasty/ 3 glasses later - my weekly allowance - I didn't feel so great afterwards. I thought about what other people have said about feeling the influence faster since they've cut back.
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    @JulieAL1969 - believe me, I feel your pain - I grew up Lakewood, OH, in your neck of the woods. Winter gets old for sure.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    @JulieAL1969 - believe me, I feel your pain - I grew up Lakewood, OH, in your neck of the woods. Winter gets old for sure.

I used to live and work in Lakewood. Xoxo
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    @JenT304--that is exactly my story since Valentine's Day, a lot. It doesn't help that the Easter Candy is 1/2 off at the store still, lol!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    @Orphia - such a great story. Thanks for sharing! I loved this: I want to be able to have a couple of bubblies to celebrate a special occasion, then go back to being alcohol-free till I have another special reason to celebrate.

I'm in the same camp (moderation Fri-Sun), although I must say my husband and I were out on our boat anchored offshore from a blues fest Friday night and I had three glasses of wine. I had a great time, but let me tell you, I SUFFERED Saturday. I had a gross headache, felt nauseated and had zero energy. Turned out to be a totally wasted day and I was in jammies in front of the TV by 6 p.m. I also ate wayyy too much yesterday. Excessive drinking seems to go hand in hand with excessive eating for me. There used to be days when I could have three glasses and be perfectly fine. Maybe I was just perpetually in a hungover state? Lesson learned, I hope and back to being good this morning.

@kittybenn Good point!

Yes, it seems a few of us eat too much when we drink. I think that was another reason I decided to take a break. I wasn't going over my calories, but a larger percentage of my calories were going towards alcohol.

It's good now I'm not drinking because I get to eat lots more FOOD than I used to, even if my calorie limit is the same. :smiley:
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,486 Member
    @jecky74 One thing that helped me (especially when I am feeling bad in the immediate aftermath of drinking) is writing it down in a little journal; how I am feeling, why I don't want to drink etc. It helps to go back and read it when I feel tempted. Also I really like the your tube video called "50 ways sobriety rules". She's a cool young chick and I enjoy her honesty. That being said, today is a new day. Let yesterday go and focus on now. You've got this!
  • SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    Good Monday morning to all! It's a new day and a new week.

I had my best week so far. It was not perfect, but it was still my best. My plan is AF M-Th and 1 single bottle of wine on the weekend. I had 2 beers on Thursday. I went to eat at a sports bar with a friend and she was drinking a beer when I got there, and so I really wanted one too. No self control. But I stuck to my 1 bottle on the weekend. I really wanted a glass of wine on Sunday, because hubby was having a drink, but I had already drank my bottle Fri and Sat, so I stuck it out. I was really nuttin' up so I drank a sparkling water and ate a hunk of baguette with butter slathered all over it. It didn't quite hit the spot, but it was enough to get me through.

I find that if no one else is drinking, I'm good. I don't have to drink. I don't even want it. But when I'm around someone who is drinking, it's hard for me not to.
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    @Orphia - so with you on MORE food. It's one of the (many) rewards of moderating or being AF.
  • jecky74
    jecky74 Posts: 255 Member
    Thank you @JenT304 . I will definitely write down my feelings about falling off my healthy living plan. The weekends are always harder for me because of the lack of structure but that’s whatI like about them. Need to find a happy middle.
  • rachelcalsbeek
    rachelcalsbeek Posts: 185 Member
    Hello everyone! I haven't had any alcohol since April 2nd, when I decided to begin this challenge, with the goal of not indulging until I leave for vacation on May 9th. So far, it hasn't been too bad. I had a stressful week last week, and I tend to crave a bottle of wine after days like that. I also work a second job where I get a free shift drink, and I sometimes like to use that to help fall asleep after a late shift. The weekend was surprisingly easier than I thought it would be. We didn't really have any social outings or plans, and I was also not feeling the greatest, so I think that played into it.

I've been thinking a lot about what others have mentioned here, about how it is more difficult to refrain from drinking when you are with friends or a significant other who is drinking. My husband has been sober almost 7 months now. He realized his drinking was causing issues in his personal life and in our relationship, and he decided to stop. I know how hard it must be for him at times to be around me when I've had drinks or when we are out with friends and everyone is drinking. I try to keep open communication with him about things like that, but you've all helped me to be even more cognizant of the fact that it is a choice that he makes every day. And now, I can think of my AF time as being even more supportive of his goals.

In the past when I've taken breaks from drinking, I've found that the longer I go without, the less the desire is to have one. I'm sure that'll be the case as time goes on this time, too. My goal is to save drinking for special occasions/vacations and not feel like I need a drink to relax or unwind on a regular basis.

Plus, I have generally made a point to never drink my calories EXCEPT when I'm drinking alcohol, so it'll be nice to save some of those. :smile: