April 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    April

1st - 6.5 mile walk with a friend
    2nd - 3 mile walk to a friends for healthy salad, followed by chocolate, cake and cognac......
    3rd - 2.2m morning run
    4th - Yin Yoga - different teacher, too much downward facing dog for my liking!!
    5th. Pi run - 3.14miles of lovelines. then in the evening - TRUMPET lesson!!!!!!! wow!, I made a noise! success!!! I CAN do this!
    6th - Banff Mountain Film Festival for inspiration
    8th - 5.5m run along the beach and jumping in the waves. Very wet feet as usual.
    10th - 3.6m
    11th - Yin yoga - usual teacher. Normal service is resumed.
    12th - sprint intervals.

Notes
    still sticking nicely to the plan, and my body seems to be thanking me for it. Probably need to start thinking about getting more miles in, but would rather do that by feel and keep my body healthy. If I have to walk most of my marathon in June so be it.

My first ever Sprint intervals this morning. 30seconds sprint followed by 2 minute walks. Did okay, was tempted to push a bit further but the minute I did I got out of breath. Had a brief pause while I stopped to talk to the Elderly Gentleman I see out walking - was concerned because he'd stopped for a bit (he had a stroke last year) but he told me he was fine and he usually had a short stop there.

Hoping to go to Running Club as well tonight (after getting everyone to leave work so I can get in some trumpet practice), so my body will be screaming. I had an email from my gym asking where I was too.......

Happy running folks!!

Races -
    24th Feb - Back to Black Night Run 10k DNS
    10th March - Larmer 10 (miles) DNS
    18th March - Forest of Dean Spring Half Marathon Cancelled due to snow - deferred until 2019
    23rd June - Giant's Head Marathon
  • greyparks206
    greyparks206 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat I won’t run on ibuprofen. I took it last night. Feel back to normal this morning, thank goodness! I am about to do my morning yoga. I’ll see how I feel this afternoon. If my knees start hurting again, then I’ll abort my planned run. Such a weird thing that they hurt so bad out of nowhere yesterday and feel fine today!
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    The one and only picture of me from the race:

k4ful78dz04h.jpg

Except for the shoes, EVERYTHING you can see I am wearing is Under Armour. Someday I need to be cool like @JessicaMcB . and get a sponsorship. I obviously own the brand :lol:

You look cold! I'm not sponsorship material, but I do like to race in shirts I got from other races - gives me confidence :)
  • Teerai
    Teerai Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    1HK2m8.png

5O2Km8.png
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I definitely didn't expect to keep up with that tempo pace today, but it actually felt pretty maintainable. I think that going after work + with good company helped a lot. But I'm also very surprised how quickly my fitness is returning after so many mostly-sedentary months (ahem....5). In just a few weeks, everything from general ease of my runs to my heart rate to my daily energy level have all improved. Why on earth did I thumb my nose at running for so many (cold, dark, wintry) months?!

I'm that way with eating. I feel so much better when I'm eating healthy food (instead of having cake for dinner) but getting to that place is so hard some times! Refined sugar is my crack!
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 – What amazing scenery at the Emperors Challenge. Loved the doggie running in the video clip!
    @jele30 – Welcome! I love that you stepped out of your comfort zone and shared your story to help a total stranger. Doesn’t surprise me that you are a runner.

No run for me today other than the running in bootcamp this evening. It usually starts with at least a half mile jog to warm things up. If it isn't too strenuous today, I may go for a run afterwards.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @jele30 - agree with Teresa502- thanks for helping a fellow runner! and Welcome!

Where did this amazing April weather come from for Orlando? It's so unusual and I am so thankful! A nice 60 degrees with no humidity (or hardly any!) Normally by now we have 95% humidity when I run at 4:30 am! So another 5 mile awesome run due to weather! Got to rest tomorrow so I don't suck at my Saturday cycling group.

4/1 - 3.65 miles to Buckingham Palace, + strength training W9-B
    4/2 -Tabatas in the hotel gym
    4/3 - 5 miles Hyde Park
    4/4 - strength training + 1 mile treadmill
    4/5 - 5 miles Hyde Park - last day in London
    4/6 - rest/travel day
    4/7 - 4 miles on treadmill
    4/8 - 25 miles cycling + strength training W9-C
    4/9 - 5 miles
    4/10 - strength training w9-D
    4/11 - 5 miles + strength training W10-A
    4/12 - 5 miles
    4/13 - rest day

exercise.png
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    just a 5 today

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    5 today.

4/1-rest day (unscheduled)
    4/2-rest day
    4/3-5
    4/4-3
    4/5-4
    4/6-rest day
    4/7-9
    4/8-3 (plus coach made me do weights)
    4/9-coach made me do different weights
    4/10-5

If it’s not obvious, I’m not a “weights” kind of a girl.

MTD 29

9/10 days according to plan.

I’m brand new here but I’ve loved all the race reports and am eagerly looking forward to the 100/50/Boston (and other) adventures coming up. Thank you all for sharing.

Hi @Duck_Puddle

• Stoshew71
    Options
    Good morning. I've missed you all. I'm not going to set any type of goal for this month I'm just going to run as I can. It's been I think 4 weeks since I broke my ribs, I'm not supposed to run until June, but for the most part they don't hurt anymore. They get sore depending on what I'm doing. I ran last night for the first time with my running group. I ran with the group training for a 5K since they were supposed to run for 25 minutes without stopping and the advanced group I'm in was doing half mile repeats at tempo pace (I'm not even sure I understood that at all) anyway, I ended up doing just over 2 miles. No pain. I did have a long talk with the speed bump I tripped over. Honestly I looked at it good, it's like 5" high. The church and the town are going back and forth over who is supposed to paint it since I tripped. I said tell them I'll come paint it. geesh.

Anyway, no way I can read the entire month of April. I'll try to keep up to date from here.

Hang in there @skippygirlsmom
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
  • Stoshew71
    edited April 2018
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Last night Kody & I ran 7 miles and it was exactly what I need. I ran flat pavement, kept up a great pace, and felt invigorated at the end. After showering and eating I started watching Youtube videos of previous Zumbro races and it got me fired up again. Now I think my head is in a good place.

Sounds like you're ready to rock out on the course!

My para put on Eye of the Tiger on the speakers this morning... I was all like, now I need to run... Almost made me want to have music for the weekend. And now I have chariots fire theme playing

Da dah da dah dahhhhh ch ch ch ch ch ch..... lol

Anyone else do this in their head?
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Last night Kody & I ran 7 miles and it was exactly what I need. I ran flat pavement, kept up a great pace, and felt invigorated at the end. After showering and eating I started watching Youtube videos of previous Zumbro races and it got me fired up again. Now I think my head is in a good place.

Sounds like you're ready to rock out on the course!

My para put on Eye of the Tiger on the speakers this morning... I was all like, now I need to run... Almost made me want to have music for the weekend. And now I have chariots fire theme playing

Da dah da dah dahhhhh ch ch ch ch ch ch..... lol

Anyone else do this in their head?

Da... Da-da-da... Dah-da-daaaaaa...

Visions of running stairs in my head, personally.

@MNLittleFinn @7lenny7 You're going to be going the distance in a series of montages right?
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I brought running clothes to work and only brought a light jacket. Tempting fate that the wind will either be light or a tailwind.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,490 Member
    Options
    @jele30 welcome! Awesome first post to the group!

@PastorVincent great photo! You look like a Ninja runner.

@KatieJane83 was the air full of the blossom scent? Looks beautiful.

@skippygirlsmom it's great to see you checking in. Don't be a stranger, even if you can't run. Praying those ribs heal up quick and strong.

MAF method - I essentially followed this last year while training for my 50K. My target was 130bpm and I was usually able to keep it around 135. I felt it worked very well for me and I greatly increased my speed. It does take patience.

@Duck_Puddle now you have me considering signing up for the race in Bemidji! It certainl is a beautiful part of the state.

I washed all my running clothes and finally started packing last night. It's hard to plan when the weather forecast is going crazy. A big storm system is moving in and since temps will be straddling the freezing point, it could be rain, it could be snow, but will likely be a lot of both. This is the earliest, and the most that I've watched a forecast for a race and it only reinforces my opinion that there's no sense believing it until a day before.

I've seen rain totals as high as 1.25" on Friday and snow totals as high as 14" on Saturday. Winds around 20mph, gusting to 40mph, along with lightning. Those are the extremes though. I'm mostly concerned about the drive home Saturday than I am with running in it. I do have a 4x4 truck but that doesn't do much good on ice.

Since I have the space in my truck, I'm over packing and bringing a complete change of clothing, including shoes, for each lap. I should probably buy some seat covers before I head down.

I think this is going to make my February mud fest seem like a easy run.

See you down there, @MNLittleFinn