Serial Starters

Replies

• arniedog74
    arniedog74 Posts: 2,086 Member
    I've been putting off making a dentist appointment, because I have no insurance, no money, no one takes payments. I was told about this place, that does a sliding scale and does payments. Perfect! I broke down and called, today...the first question I was asked, "Are you pregnant?" Odd question for a dentist, but I answered.."Currently, we are only taking pregnant women and children" Me: "Will this be changing?" "No. This is how it's always been" So, why say "Currently"? Well, I still don't have a dentist appointment... and, not quite sure what to think of that conversation...
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Tilliesmommy1 Posts: 5,328 Member
    TUESDAY

Good morning,

Side effects of new meds - possible swollen ankles and "flushing". Lovely.

Dawn - the dentist may be tapping into a Medicaid fund. I have insurance but needed so much work done that I put on credit card and it has taken awhile to pay off. You will pay more if it gets worse. Just like cars - you can pay me now or you can pay me later. Hope you find a dentist who will take payments - Smile and Care Credit are lines of credit for dental (care credit also does Vet bills). Sorry, wasnt planning on a speech.

Hot enough here to really focus on water intake/hydration.

Wave to all who follow. Taking password to work so I can lurk.....
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Hello everyone.
    I am making an effort to reach out into the community and get connected. Hopefully that will help me maintain my (eventual) success.

I'm definitely a serial starter. I'm 57 years old. Over the years I have gone from 175 up to 250, down to 180 and now back up to 265 at the heaviest.

I was 265 when I went for my annual checkup in February.
    I'm currently at 235.

In my previous periods of normal weight, I never truly learned how to eat for maintenance. I also was a bit obsessive about exercise before. I would run 25-30 miles per week and was cycling 125-200 miles per week. As you can imagine I ate everything in sight and still stayed thin. Problem was, when I eventually would reduce the exercise I didn't know how to eat "normally" and I would gain weight. Weight gain would lead to reduced energy, which led to less exercise, which led to more weight gain... The yo-yo cycle some of you might recognize.
    Recently I decided - I'm at an age where I need to choose my future. I can choose sick and unhealthy, or fit and healthy. I have decided I'm tired of being fat and unfit - so here I am - again.

This round I'm learning to eat well first. I am determined to not "diet" but rather eat the appropriate number of calories. If anyone cares, I have an IG account where I post what I cook - I love cooking. I'm the wood_fired_foodie.
    I'm working my way back to fitness as well and trying to set goals I can maintain over time.

The really annoying part... It hasn't been that bad to loose the weight. I'm kicking myself for letting myself go for so long. But that's behind, right?
  • LanaCabana537
    LanaCabana537 Posts: 3,837 Member

Saltine - Thank you for posting that great photo of your little ones! They are adorable--just want to pick them up and squish them close! Well maybe not the kitty - :wink:
    Take care of that knee--let it heal.

Sara - Bummer about that BP med. Which one did they give you? Swollen ankles doesn't sound very good; allergies is a whole nuther level of Yikes.

Big welcome to Gary~~

Waves to Dawn and Kathryn and Tess and Ash (I know she's around here somewhere) and Missy and anyone else who stops by later on.

At airport, eating too much. Mostly healthy stuff (pea pods, hummus, vegetable soup), but why did I "need" to eat those 4 oatmeal cookies?! Gah.

I should have brought that Really Serious Cabana Boy with me---the one who fixes the computers and the electrical problems and never speaks, just stares!?

235.2 today
    250.0 highest
    185.0 goal
  • Tilliesmommy1
    edited April 2018
    Lana - 4 cookies ?? Please tell me they were little ones...... you will be doing so much more exercise while in Wyoming.....

Gary - at least you chose to look forward and start doing better. Post when you can and keep us posted.

at work - crawling back under rock.

edit - someone at work is shaking their salad >:)
  • LanaCabana537
    LanaCabana537 Posts: 3,837 Member

Death to all Salad Shakers, but first....a little Chi Chi !

Lana
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Lana - Tess and Kathy are Salad Shakers - amend that to read those who work with Sara .... and that works.
  • arniedog74
    Sara- I know I should have gone sooner... just put it off..I have not heard of Smile...I do not qualify for Care Credit.. tried to get it for pup...will check out Smile, not sure if it's available in my area, but definitely will look into it, thank you
  • arniedog74
    Lana- look at those numbers drop.. good for you! At least you are eating good snacks (oatmeal is good for you even in a cookie, right?) Enjoy your visit... I've been to Wyoming once and I know it's beautiful...I walked around Devil's Tower... also, climbed Bear Bute in SD same trip... that was a great amazing and a huge accomplishment, for me..

Sara - sorry to hear about visit to Urgent Care... hope it's all straightened out, now...I had a severe allergic reaction to Codeine... ended up in ER... meds can really mess with you, sometimes...

• arniedog74
    Birgit - it's just a number... don't let it get you down... enjoy your days and the beach...

Saltine- glad injury isn't as bad as you were afraid... take it easy a few days and hope yer back to normal, soon..

Go whatever team Tess likes! Woo hoo!
  • Tilliesmommy1
    WEDNESDAY

Good morning,

Recently I stopped eating plain greek yogurt with granola as it left too much extra granola in the house. Flavored yogurt has too many sugar calories - so back to plain and use the frozen blueberries I have in the freezer........ small changes and shifts also make a difference.

Lady who drives me to appointments was happy, the chance of rain went away -she is getting married in an outdoor wedding Saturday and there is a 6 percent chance of rain on one website (down from 40). So glad I dont have to deal with the horrors of a huge wedding. They have become the "mcmansions" of events. I told her I wasnt coming and to sit outside for that long even with sunscreen - wow glad I chose to be lazy. I get sunburn thinking about it.

Lana - did you get to your destination? I read online there is a nearby airport - so it was probably a long day.

Wave to all who follow. Lurking from work.
  • birgitwebster
    birgitwebster Posts: 64 Member
    Hi guys, this is the first time I'm actually on a real computer looking at this. So much nicer than on the phone... might have to make this a habit... though I am at work and should probably be doing something else..

Thanks for all the encouraging words. WI this morning was back to 190.. would still love to be closer to the 180 before we leave, but I know it's just a number and I know I already feel so much better and my clothes fit so much better... but still!!! *throws a little tandrum*

My knight in shining armor aka hubby acting as cabana boy (cracking up at the visual of this...lol) fixed my fuse... or the one on my treadmill I should say... Had a tough exercise week though... did the bikini bootcamp on monday, couldn't get on the treadmill, cause it was defused... yesterday went to my sisters right after work, didn't get home until 10:30 pm... no more workout there... tonight afte rwork I have a pedi appointment... not much point in putting my nice and freshly painted toes in running shoes... so I suppose none of this is happening tonight either... though I wonder if one could use the treadmill barefoot? Any thoughts?

Oops, better get back to work.

Have a great day everyone! :sunglasses:
  • SomeMorr
    SomeMorr Posts: 220 Member
    h I wonder if one could use the treadmill barefoot? Any thoughts?

Personal experience, don't do it. caveat: I guess it depends on the type of treadmill. I was walking on a home treadmill that has the plastic covering across the back two corners where the belt goes over rollers. I stepped too far back and my foot got caught on that plastic and ripped a 2 inch square of flesh off the ball of my foot. Industrial/gym treadmills generally don't have this issue since the belt goes directly over the roller with no plastic corner covering.
  • birgitwebster
    SomeMorr wrote: »
    h I wonder if one could use the treadmill barefoot? Any thoughts?

Personal experience, don't do it. caveat: I guess it depends on the type of treadmill. I was walking on a home treadmill that has the plastic covering across the back two corners where the belt goes over rollers. I stepped too far back and my foot got caught on that plastic and ripped a 2 inch square of flesh off the ball of my foot. Industrial/gym treadmills generally don't have this issue since the belt goes directly over the roller with no plastic corner covering.

OUCH!!!! I think I might just go another day without... either that or just walk somewhat slow...?
    Thanks, SomeMorr!
  • Saltine24
    Saltine24 Posts: 143 Member
    Good morning everyone,

Birgit~I am sure it wouldn't but the end of the world if you used your treadmill without runners, but I wouldn't advise it as you run differently when you have the support of shoes & doing so without shoes may cause you injury to your foot, knees or back.

My Birthday was yesterday, another year older & none the wiser...hahaha :p Didn't do much, worked & walked on my lunch but only 5.5 km rather than 6.5 as I normally do. My bf ordered Chinese food for supper & my cousin brought me cake and 6 wooden roses (my mom had started me on a collection of orange & purple roses (even though some look pink...lol) & have quite a nice bouquet forming now). I think my knee is feeling a bit better...I hope as it is really bugging me not doing my morning workout...Next week I am going to try just walking in the am & see how that goes.

u7v2jfaya5pl.jpeg

I just noticed yesterday that we have a 9Rounds gym (Kickboxing gym :D ) opening up on the main floor of the building I work in soon...which is great because I have always wanted to try it out but am too lazy to go to the locations as there were none close enough to me...so excited to try it out! :)

Sara~sorry about your BP meds & hope everything is okay with the new meds the Dr's gave you.

Tess~what NHL team are you routing for? So much for my Flyers (kinda new they wouldn't get too far...lol) so for the time being all I can say is Go Jets Go!!

Lana~Great job on the WL!! Have fun in Wyoming.

Good thing I have NBA to watch as that will keep me busy tonight. Series is tied 2-2 hoping Raptors kick it up a notch!

Have a great day!

~Saltine~ >:)
  • birgitwebster
    Happy late birthday Saltine! sounds like it was great. the roses look awesome!

i think I'll try to just walk barefoot on the treadmill just to get some mileage in. had to skip walking at lunch today. am not even to 5,000 steps yet. I'll see how it feels.

have a great test of the day everyone!
  • arniedog74
    Saltine - happy late birthday! Love the roses! I've seen wooden ones before, love them...Chinese food is yummy! Sounds like you had a good day..
  • hickchic67
    hickchic67 Posts: 802 Member
    Happy belated birthday Saltine! The roses are beautiful. glad knee is not super serious injury.

Birgit - i have walked barefoot on treadmill many times. (no plastic corner covers on mine) but i am a barefoot kinda person, i guess. cant run on gravel like i used to as a kid though.

Lana - enjoy the beauty and peace of Wyoming!

Sara - how was sleep without the light on?

Dawn - hope you can get your dental done before you have any pain. tooth pain is worst!

i had a rather angry day due to events at work and consumed way more pizza & alcohol than i should have last night. am puffed up like a blowfish from the sodium/water retention today.

had to give up Jeep trip this weekend to work at a job fair... :(

*waves to all who drop by*
  • Tilliesmommy1
    saltine those roses are wonderful, I know someone who makes them out of coffee filters...... hope you had a great birthday.

at work -taking dog to vet after dinner - glands - I just saw Dawn roll her eyes. At my dogs age better to do that at the doctor's.

bbl.
  • arniedog74
    Oops... didn't mean to roll eyes so loudly... glands are one of my least favorite things... but, I know it helps them feel better...