What's the best diet or fitness advice you've ever heard?

Replies

• abbynormal52
    abbynormal52 Posts: 151 Member
    Go by Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) to know how much food to eat in order to lose fat, not lean, muscle mass. Good Calculator here: https://damnripped.com/tdee-calculator/
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    spdaphne wrote: »
    It's more about quality of food than quantity of food.

Um how's that?

It makes sense. 250 calories of protein and salad is more nourishing thank 250 of crap

Not sure why I got "woo'd" here.

People on here don't believe in nutrition. It's all CICO.

Edit: I just got woo'd enough to bring my count up to 100. Almost all my woos are when I bring up nutrition. Ha ha ha. These people are fun.

No. "People on here" (at least some people) are intelligent enough to realize that they're two separate topics and the issues are contextual.

Yes they are 2 separate issues. However, every time someone mentions that a salad is better for you than a twinkie. (Or something similar) people start arguing saying no it's all about CICO. We know to lose weight is CICO. This is myfitnesspal not myweightlosspal. It is better for your overall health to eat nutritious food. It is also a hell of a lot easier to stay within calorie range when you eat "good" food instead of "bad" food.

^ Typical binary thinking. Completely ignores context and dosage.

Example #1 - ask a marathon runner at mile 21, or a Tour de France rider approaching the end of a stage, if they'd prefer a handful of Skittles or a bowl of organic kale.

Not even the point. The point was when mentioning nutrition in any of these forums people act like nutrition isn't important.

There are "people" who say you can lose weight while in a caloric surplus on keto/IF; there are "people" who say apple cider vinegar will melt the fat off your body; there are "people" who think eating 500 calories a day is a good idea.

People who understand the big picture understand that nutrition is important for a lot of reasons. But speaking purely in terms of weight loss, it's irrelevant. And people who understand the big picture also understand that context and dosage matter a great deal when speaking of nutrition.

Like I said earlier this is myfitnesspal not myweightlosspal. Why do people always want to act as though nutrition isn't important.

Link to some specific posts, please.

Just start reading they are everywhere.

I've read thousands of threads and never seen what you are claiming.
  • abbynormal52

Um how's that?

It makes sense. 250 calories of protein and salad is more nourishing thank 250 of crap

Edit: I just got woo'd enough to bring my count up to 100. Almost all my woos are when I bring up nutrition. Ha ha ha. These people are fun.

No. "People on here" (at least some people) are intelligent enough to realize that they're two separate topics and the issues are contextual.

Yes they are 2 separate issues. However, every time someone mentions that a salad is better for you than a twinkie. (Or something similar) people start arguing saying no it's all about CICO. We know to lose weight is CICO. This is myfitnesspal not myweightlosspal. It is better for your overall health to eat nutritious food. It is also a hell of a lot easier to stay within calorie range when you eat "good" food instead of "bad" food.

Example #1 - ask a marathon runner at mile 21, or a Tour de France rider approaching the end of a stage, if they'd prefer a handful of Skittles or a bowl of organic kale.

Not even the point. The point was when mentioning nutrition in any of these forums people act like nutrition isn't important.

There are "people" who say you can lose weight while in a caloric surplus on keto/IF; there are "people" who say apple cider vinegar will melt the fat off your body; there are "people" who think eating 500 calories a day is a good idea.

People who understand the big picture understand that nutrition is important for a lot of reasons. But speaking purely in terms of weight loss, it's irrelevant. And people who understand the big picture also understand that context and dosage matter a great deal when speaking of nutrition.

Like I said earlier this is myfitnesspal not myweightlosspal. Why do people always want to act as though nutrition isn't important.

It's been pounded into people's heads that you have to eat less, and stop eating certain foods, and definitely can't eat "any" fats, since childhood. It's a lie that many never stop believing :( The proof of the truth is everywhere, and I'm glad I opened my eyes to it. I so hope others will. What is a month out of your life to "experiment" with. For me personally, sure, I'd rather have "fast" weightloss, but when I see what happens losing weight, and the difference between the "types" of "weight" lost, it's too frightening for me. I'm not about to lose lean, muscle mass if I can help it by fueling with healthy foods, especially our macros.

I've been enlightened especially by the em2wl group of gals and "did" prove it to myself.
  • abbynormal52
    edited April 2018
    We're not talking about the same thread, I think you are talking about my thread. Yes, I had a lot of good nutrition suggestions. But on the whole, if we compared, I wonder how many people are talking about good nutrition, or not? Even if it's even on the #, I am hoping more will be speaking up on the nutrition side of fitness, healthy nutrition.

PS I don't think I mentioned "healthy nutrition" in the Topic, but I am grateful for the many that went ahead and added that into the discussion;)

Went back and looked, yes I did say healthy, apologies. I am glad it comes so natural for me to mention it now. It didn't used to.
  • abbynormal52

Um how's that?

I've never seen a single thread that has said that. Can you link one?

Just the lack of discussions on healthy nutrition is the proof. I mentioned TDEE, and eating enough the other day on a thread and not one response. It could be for a lot of reasons there was no response, I realize, but could it also be no one wanted to look at that aspect of fitness?

I haven't read everything on this thread I admit, and different people have a different take on healthy nutrition. I'm just saying that I think that is more what the person you replied to is talking about, I could be wrong of course.

I doubt it. Your thread probably got buried under a bunch of others and no one ever saw it.

I've discussed/responded to questions about TDEE and nutrition on this site a lot. My almost 18,000 posts aren't from ChitChat.

I worded that all wrong, I am sorry, truly. I just believe there is more discussions on things besides nutrition when it comes to weight-loss/fitness. The whole thing for me is knowing the healthy way to lose, and some still stuck in that rut of eat til you're starving to lose weight. I took what it took to get me to take a good look at some facts, so I have to realize the same has to be true for others.

I'm just going to say here that I am darn grateful to those that speak up about the importance of healthy nutrition, whenever they can.

• abbynormal52

Um how's that?

I've never seen a single thread that has said that. Can you link one?

Just the lack of discussions on healthy nutrition is the proof. I mentioned TDEE, and eating enough the other day on a thread and not one response. It could be for a lot of reasons there was no response, I realize, but could it also be no one wanted to look at that aspect of fitness?

I haven't read everything on this thread I admit, and different people have a different take on healthy nutrition. I'm just saying that I think that is more what the person you replied to is talking about, I could be wrong of course.

Have you checked out the "Food and Nutrition" area? Conversations about meeting specific needs can more often be found there.

and here, it's just who is reading them, we can only hope:)

• jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10662786/unhealthy-diet/p1

Here is a great example of why nutrition is important. This is why saying CICO is all that matters for weight loss.
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10662786/unhealthy-diet/p1

Here is a great example of why nutrition is important. This is why saying CICO is all that matters for weight loss.

That person seems to have a healthy diet and admits to cutting calories too low for awhile. So, not exactly relevant to your point.

Read it again in its entirety. She said that she was eating well. Then when she discovered MFP she started eating more foods that were not considered healthy and followed CICO.