What's the best diet or fitness advice you've ever heard?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10662786/unhealthy-diet/p1

Here is a great example of why nutrition is important. This is why saying CICO is all that matters for weight loss.

That thread doesn't say "only CICO" anywhere. :huh:
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member

Here is a great example of why nutrition is important. This is why saying CICO is all that matters for weight loss.

That person seems to have a healthy diet and admits to cutting calories too low for awhile. So, not exactly relevant to your point.

"Currently I eat everything I like but I try not to go over my calorie goal, so I eat a lot more "unhealthy" stuff since I started CICO."

Her words.
  • jefamer2017

That thread doesn't say "only CICO" anywhere. :huh:

Currently I eat everything I like but I try not to go over my calorie goal, so I eat a lot more "unhealthy" stuff since I started CICO.

Yes it does.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member

That person seems to have a healthy diet and admits to cutting calories too low for awhile. So, not exactly relevant to your point.

"Currently I eat everything I like but I try not to go over my calorie goal, so I eat a lot more "unhealthy" stuff since I started CICO."

Her words.

And just before that she said that she can eat more than she previously thought now that she is weighing, suggesting that the additional "unhealthy" stuff is on top of the vegetables and such.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »

I guess you must have somehow skipped over the posts talking about nutrition. Maybe if I quote one of them it will help you (I'll even bold part of it to make it easier for you):
    For weight loss, it doesn't matter. A calorie deficit creates weight loss.

For general health and fitness, it absolutely can matter. Nobody here denies that humans have nutritional needs and that failing to meet them can have negative consequences. There is no debate on that.

All I am saying is people need to quit saying CICO is all that matters and eat what you like. That is terrible advice. They should say you should find a healthy balance incorporate things you like and be mindful of your nutrition. Many people get the wrong ideas when you say to eat whatever as long as it fits your goals.

Would your advice be the exact same for a morbidly obese 400-pound person who has suffered from terrible eating habits their entire life as it would be for a bodybuilder at 10% who's trying to cut the last few pounds of bodyfat?

Context matters.

Yes, it would be. Eat nutritious food limit food that is considered unhealthy. The calorie count would be different but the type of food would be the same.

What foods do you consider unhealthy?
  • quiksylver296
    edited April 2018

I guess you must have somehow skipped over the posts talking about nutrition. Maybe if I quote one of them it will help you (I'll even bold part of it to make it easier for you):

For general health and fitness, it absolutely can matter. Nobody here denies that humans have nutritional needs and that failing to meet them can have negative consequences. There is no debate on that.

All I am saying is people need to quit saying CICO is all that matters and eat what you like. That is terrible advice. They should say you should find a healthy balance incorporate things you like and be mindful of your nutrition. Many people get the wrong ideas when you say to eat whatever as long as it fits your goals.

Nobody says this. That's what we've been trying to communicate.

What they do say:

CICO matters for weight loss. Which is true. You can't make weight loss happen any other way.

Here is a quote from a user. I just copied.

"Anything you want as long as you meet your calorie goal for the day."

From where? Could you link the thread, please?
  • jefamer2017
    8jazlzldqvuz.jpg
  • quiksylver296
    edited April 2018
    Again, ideas for WEIGHT LOSS. The only way to create weight loss is CICO.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member

Would your advice be the exact same for a morbidly obese 400-pound person who has suffered from terrible eating habits their entire life as it would be for a bodybuilder at 10% who's trying to cut the last few pounds of bodyfat?

Context matters.

Yes, it would be. Eat nutritious food limit food that is considered unhealthy. The calorie count would be different but the type of food would be the same.

Then your advice is bad. It is more healthy for the morbidly obese person to eat a diet they can stick to and actually lose weight. Losing weight creates more health benefits for them than a few vegetables would.

In that case, the "eat anything you want" argument you keep saying is all over the boards would be true.

That was exactly my point.

And PP said exactly what I figured he/she would say. LOL.