Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

"Natural foods" vs "others"

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I think natural or whole foods tend to be healthier than "other food", which I would consider to be refined an highly processed with additives to make the food more shelf stable or appealing (to look at and then eat).

I don't think some "other foods" are horrible for many people to eat. a few doritos won't hurt most people but a few cigarettes don't hurt most people either... but you are probably better off skipping both.

IMO, natural or whole foods are usually better for health than "other foods", so I try to make that the majority of my diet.

For weight management I think it matters less unless you are someone who's weight is affected by poor health that is affected or caused by "other foods".

Are we really better off skipping a few corn chips? I mean, how is this quantified?

If this is your general impression, that's one thing. But as a factual statement, I'm scratching my head to see what this is based on.

I doubt it is quantifiable.

... Actually I doubt that a few cigarettes would have a quantifiable effect either.

But I did say it as part of my opinion. I think Doritos are not a great food choice. A few may not hurt anyone but more may, IMO.

We actually can track changes in the body that are tied to smoking a cigarette, even just one (heart rate, blood pressure, platelet changes, etc). If one doesn't smoke more cigarettes, the body returns to normal. Even then, people who smoke lightly but regularly still have an increased death rate as opposed to those who don't smoke.

Given that we don't have any evidence of a specific impact corn chips have on the body or an increased death rate due to light corn chip consumption, I don't think it's a fair comparison.

I don't know exactly what it means to say something isn't a great food choice without any additional information about how many are being consumed or the overall context of the diet. What does it mean for something not to be a great food choice?

A not great food choice is something that should not be eaten in large amounts or frequently. Usually a food that offers calories and taste but very little else, IMO.

Like coconut oil or heavy whipping cream?

Yes. I don't recommend them in large amounts.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    nettiklive wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I found the secret to a zesty Mac and cheese, from a careful reading of the commercial ingredient list. I add dry mustard powder or curry. For that attractive orange colour, a little paprika.

My kids loved cream cheese with beet juice as color. It came out a pinkish red color and it was fun for them.
    My poor kids getting hypnotized and drawn in by the fun color of beets. What a terrible mom I was. Lol

No you weren't, because you chose a natural method to add that color.

So if she had chosen red food dye, she would have been a terrible mother?

Maybe not 'terrible' but definitely a 'not-so-good' mom :smile:

Rethinking the fancy princess cake my mom made for my 6th birthday, the one with colored icing. I was so thrilled at the time. I loved princesses and it was my dream cake. Little did I know she was, at best, expressing her indifference to my wellbeing, if not outright hostility to it.

Does Hallmark make Mother's Day cards for the "not-so-good" moms? I need to let her know I'm finally on to her.

Oh ffs. Why do we have to turn to strawmen everywhere??

No, making your kid a birthday cake with pink icing doesn't make you a bad mother. Yes, dyeing the cream cheese with it every day because they won't eat it otherwise, along with feeding them Fruit Loops for breakfast, happy meals for lunch, doritos and pop for a snack and Kraft mac for dinner, day in and day out, makes you a mother who is not making good choices for her child's diet.

And before you say I'm exaggerating and no one actually feeds their kids like this, you'd be surprised. I'm in several online mom groups and it's quite eye opening to see how many actually don't see anything wrong with eating like that all day, every day. There are families out there whose kids don't know what a fresh veggie looks like. It's really sad.

Yes we all get busy. We all have parties and treats. that is NOT what I'm talking about. It is if you have the opinion, like stated by several on this thread, that there is NO difference between highly refined, additive laden foods and 'real' foods, whether you call them natural or whatever, that it becomes a problem. Because if there is truly no difference, why would eat them in moderation? What does it matter? Why wouldn't eat like that everyday?? If there is no difference between a homemade burger from grass-fed organic beef and a McDonald's patty? Between organic free-range chicken from a local farm and frozen nuggets? Between strawberries on your cake and artificial strawberry icing? If there is truly no benefit in one over the other, as some here say, let's just feed our kids that all the time, why not?

The comments here about moderation only serve to prove the point that people on here who are educated about food realize that these are not equally good food choices, hence the need to moderate their intake. And are being facetious in arguing otherwise.

Now I'm confused... Are you saying I don't need to moderate my intake of grass-fed organic beef? I only need to moderate if it's part of a McDonald's burger? How about if it were another fast food outlet? How about if it was grass-fed, but not organic?

How about I moderate ALL my food choices regardless of where they fall on you Good-Evil continuum, you know, because calories?

Wasn't talking about moderation for weight reasons here, only health/ nutrition as that's what we were discussing here.
    I have yet to hear anyone make excuses for feeding their kids too many fresh fruit and veggies and homemade meals. 'we've been so busy all week we've only eaten at home, even baked our own cookies, better balance it out with some McDonald's and oreos!'

I've seen the effects of this at children's birthday parties. The kids who have a extremely controlled diet at home, restricted to the "all natural, everything free" foods you're mentioning are often the ones around the party food table binging on sweets (although a lot of our sweets are not artificially coloured or flavoured), cakes (from the supermarket, shock horror), crisps, chocolates etc. The children who aren't subjected to restricted diets are usually the ones who can moderate themselves and don't need to eat their bodyweight at the party.

I can confirm this. This was me as a child, not allowed any “bad” or “unnatural” foods. There are 3 incidents I remember well. One was at a badminton camp when I was 6, they served hot dogs, and I ate 7 of them. Another time I was about 9 and at a friends house, sleeping over, and I kept sneaking off to the kitchen and ended up eating an entire box of cookies among other things. About the same age at another friend’s house I ate an entire large jar of homemade fortune cookies. My parents would have never allowed me to have these foods so I stuffed as much into my mouth when I had the chance, and I did it every time I was out of their sight.

This is why I think my parents were brilliant for letting me indulge food whims. If I was shuddering by the time I got through 1/3 can of frosting, I was unlikely to want a repeat - I'd discovered the downside on my own.

At the same time, they routinely feed me a home-cooked balanced diet, didn't routinely keep soda/pop in the house, brought out the cookies only if drop-in guests arrived, and generally modeled good food habits.
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I think every household should make flour, bread, yogurt, butter, cottage cheese, and cheese at home. At least once. In order to appreciate the value of industrial production.

I’ve looked at my breadmaker friendly dry yeast and marvelled that it is available for my use any time I need it. I’ve tried keeping a wild sourdough going myself and haven’t succeeded past six months. It takes dedication to nurture yeast month after month.

I’ve pondered the consequence of a world wide disruption of our agro industrial food network and I predict that our food choices would be seriously curtailed within a year or two.

I’d miss cheese and white fluffy bread most of all.

Makes me want to re-read this book - https://books.google.com/books/about/Make_the_Bread_Buy_the_Butter.html?id=t96Zstlc02EC&printsec=frontcover&source=kp_read_button#v=onepage&q&f=false