May 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat that YesTribe group sounds fantastic! It sounds like something I would do.

No run for me last night and likely no run tonight. In addition to life getting in the way, the ball of my right foot is pretty tender. Not a single spot like a Morton's Neuroma, but all across it. Maybe tomorrow I'll get at least a short run in, or I may end up with too much of a taper.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @mbaker566 ohh poor pup! And poor ankles! Speedy healing to you both!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,973 Member
    Options
    May Goal: 85 miles

5/1: 6 miles
    5/2: 5.75 miles
    5/4: 5.6 miles
    5/6: 12.5 miles
    5/8: 4.1 miles
    5/9: 4.1 miles

38.05/85 miles completed

Another nice 4.1 mile run this morning. It really is good to get it done before the heat of the day. Since my runs are a little shorter this week I have been having time to get my yoga in before work which is nice. I can do yoga at lunch, but prefer to do it in the morning. Just 10 more days until the HM!

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    5/19/18: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon
    11/10/18: Wags & Whiskers 5K
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    I went on a camping trip with a bunch of strangers, through something called the YesTribe community. Basically it’s like-minded people who fancy the odd adventure, trying to find others to adventure with. So fifteen of us mostly strangers went to camp in the woods, have a campfire, and chat about life. I only fell down one badger hole on my way back to my tent in the dark.
    This sounds intriguing. Would you do it again? Was there any one person who was a pain in the patootie?

And I'm all over here thinking WHAT IF ONE OF THEM WAS A MURDERER? LOL

lol. someone said something about meeting up with fifteen strangers to camp in the woods and I topped it with ‘well I got in a strange mans car to meet fifteen strangers in the woods!!!’

I guess there’s protection in numbers? They won’t ALL be mad axe-murderers and hopefully the rest of the party can keep you safe? Or am I just being naïve?

I'm guessing you can outrun most of them, so you definitely have that going for you.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I went on a camping trip with a bunch of strangers, through something called the YesTribe community. Basically it’s like-minded people who fancy the odd adventure, trying to find others to adventure with. So fifteen of us mostly strangers went to camp in the woods, have a campfire, and chat about life. I only fell down one badger hole on my way back to my tent in the dark.
    This sounds intriguing. Would you do it again? Was there any one person who was a pain in the patootie?

lol. someone said something about meeting up with fifteen strangers to camp in the woods and I topped it with ‘well I got in a strange mans car to meet fifteen strangers in the woods!!!’

I guess there’s protection in numbers? They won’t ALL be mad axe-murderers and hopefully the rest of the party can keep you safe? Or am I just being naïve?

I basically spend 24/7 immersed in true crime. It's probably just me. hah
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

I basically spend 24/7 immersed in true crime. It's probably just me. hah

No, I had the same thoughts you did.
  • lporter229
    Options
    @mbaker566 Aww, your pup looks so pitiful. :'(
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Went back to the old elliptical last night in deference to knee pain (I only started jogging in the last couple of years). It was certainly easier on the knee and was still a good workout. I am still quite capable of a >900kcal/hr pace. Too bad it's so boring!

Matt Fitzgerald (author of several books on running) likes the elliptical as an alternative to running. In fact, he recommends the Elliptigo as a cross training tool. Well, that would be fun, at least.

Looking forward to getting back to running!
  • lporter229
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    __TMac__ wrote: »
    BBC article that seems relevant. :)

Sisu: The Finnish art of inner strength http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20180502-sisu-the-finnish-art-of-inner-strength

Today: 3 miles, then strength.

May tally: 17.1m

:heart: Thank you.

And here is our very own @MNLittleFinn demonstrating Sisu perfectly in his recent 100 mile ultramarathon:

https://teachertrailrunner.blogspot.com.au/2018/05/in-tent.html?m=1

Most definitely! I don't think there is any better word to describe it.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @amymoreorless Do you have access to an inversion table? It helped provide me some relief, and my PCP has a colleague that avoided surgery with daily use.

@Elise4270 I wish I did have access to one.

I am a little better today. I was able to do a little gentle yoga this morning. The steroids they have me on are helping. I just wish they didn’t have such crappy side effects. I have gained 6 pounds of water weight in two days. Ugh. Getting old sucks.
  • Elise4270
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @amymoreorless Do you have access to an inversion table? It helped provide me some relief, and my PCP has a colleague that avoided surgery with daily use.

@Elise4270 I wish I did have access to one.

I am a little better today. I was able to do a little gentle yoga this morning. The steroids they have me on are helping. I just wish they didn’t have such crappy side effects. I have gained 6 pounds of water weight in two days. Ugh. Getting old sucks.

No doubt. I have a follow-up with the skin clinic. I'm hoping it's greed and not "real" although they have "surgery" scheduled. Pshhh. *kitten*.

We had access to a gym that had one. Do you have PT scheduled? The soft tissue manipulation often helps, and the ultrasound therapy did too. Tough out those steroids, don't let pain age get the best of you.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Went back to the old elliptical last night in deference to knee pain (I only started jogging in the last couple of years). It was certainly easier on the knee and was still a good workout. I am still quite capable of a >900kcal/hr pace. Too bad it's so boring!

Matt Fitzgerald (author of several books on running) likes the elliptical as an alternative to running. In fact, he recommends the Elliptigo as a cross training tool. Well, that would be fun, at least.

I like his book Racing Weight, and occasionally use his Diet Quality Score app when I feel the need to improve my nutrition.

I always feel like I'm going to fall off the elliptical machine. There's something about the mechanics that don't line up with how my body operates. I get on it once a year or so, then remember why I never added it to my list of cardio options.

@Elise4270 , can you talk about the inversion table a little more? How do you use it, how do you know it's working, what does "working" mean? My husband and I both have chronic back issues, and I've wondered what the benefits are and if it might actually be useful to us.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @kevaasen - "the wall" and "I lost steam in the last 6 miles" are one and the same :) Right about 20 miles seems to be the magic distance when people run into trouble. I dunno why, perhaps @Stoshew71 does? At a guess, your need for energy and your ability to consume your energy stores probably cross some threshold there.

Congrats on your race! I will have to try and remember to check StravA later for the rest.
  • Elise4270
    Options

@Elise4270 , can you talk about the inversion table a little more? How do you use it, how do you know it's working, what does "working" mean? My husband and I both have chronic back issues, and I've wondered what the benefits are and if it might actually be useful to us.

It's super simple. They run about $100USD and invert you, which allows the compression forces on your spine to be relieved. If you think of your
    vertebrae as a super double stuffed gel Oreo that got compressed, imagine pulling it apart slowly. It should allow the "goo" *scientific name thare, to suck back in some, which hopefully no longer puts (as much) pressure on exiting nerve roots.

You can engage the stop (ours is a bar) that prevents you from going back too far. I had to gradually work up to a 45-60° inversion. It took some getting used to. It hurts, but afterwards I can tell it helps with less pain, increased mobility. More it's used the easier/less painful it becomes. DH (@ericjayh) has arthritis in his mid spine, I can't say that it's helped him. But if it's bulging discs that are the culprit, I recommend trying it. Heck for $100 I can't see that there's much to lose. :wink:

I found it also pulled my hip muscles and chronically aggravated SI joint.

I bet if you Google/you tube it, you find more info. Although, I am very happy to answer your inquiries.

Anyone else use one?
  • Elise4270
    edited May 2018
    Options

I like his book Racing Weight, and occasionally use his Diet Quality Score app when I feel the need to improve my nutrition.

I always feel like I'm going to fall off the elliptical machine. There's something about the mechanics that don't line up with how my body operates. I get on it once a year or so, then remember why I never added it to my list of cardio options.

Haha! Same!

I like the dqs app too. Mine got slow and I quit using it. I reported it, and the solution to reinstall didn't help any. I'd use it daily if it didn't have such a lag.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    @mbaker566 glad your pup is feeling better! Ouch!

Re axe murderers: I met my husband online and he traveled 6 hours by Greyhound the first time he came up to see me. We got so many axe murderer comments on both sides at first...

In me news, I bought 2 pairs of shoes in the past 2 days. A second pair of the Kayanos that have been treating me well and I decided to give the Salming En Route a chance since they were on sale.